ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones 1963-1965 Singles Box set???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 26th, 2004 02:52 PM
celtic stone Anyone here have this yet and is it a must???
April 26th, 2004 06:46 PM
Gazza yes and yes

Got it today. beautiful package (the cds are presented with the original sleeve artwork in a way that they just look like mini 7 inch singles)

Nice little booklet too. Not exactly cheap at £32 but definitely a "must"
April 26th, 2004 08:41 PM
Mottrush
Got mine on order Gazza! Sounds great.

I believe this is a "limited edition" of 3000. Are the boxes numbered? Apart from the booklet I was under the impression there were also some "prints" included??

Cheers,

Mottrush
April 26th, 2004 08:58 PM
Gazza Theres three little photo cards too. I dont see any numbering.

You'll be happy to know that on the inside back page theres photos advertising the fact that "coming soon" are
two further instalments in this series - 1965-1967 and 1968-1971

April 26th, 2004 09:34 PM
Mottrush
This will be the fourth time I've purchased the "Singles Collection"!!

The vinyl set of 12 picture sleeve singles issued back in about 1980? Then there was the London Years Singles Collection in 1989 and the remastered SACD collection about 18 months ago.

Not to mention all the Greatest Hits compilations and individual original vinyl singles I've collected over the years.

I guess when you're a "fan" logic goes out the window!!

Cheers,

Mottrush

April 27th, 2004 02:24 PM
celtic stone Great. Thanks for the info.
April 27th, 2004 05:48 PM
ResidentMule I'd like to own that, but for $70 (and that's the SALE PRICE), and about 2 CD's worth of material, I don't think I'll be buying this unless money starts growing on trees. not to mention if I got this, I'd have to get the other two sets. not happening any time soon. shame it has to be limited quanities - I'd like to be able to pick one up down the road, you know, long after the Stones stop touring(hopefully not anytime soon) and I never have to worry about buying concert tickets from them
April 27th, 2004 07:28 PM
exilestones@netscape I think these are nice collector's items. I'm looking forward to the purchase.
April 28th, 2004 03:28 AM
BillyBoll Gazza

Where did you get it for £32?
April 28th, 2004 06:15 AM
bootcover Have received this box last week, I bought it from a german guy on ebay for 40 euro including shipping cost to Holland.
And yes it's a great and nice looking box to have.
Can't wait on vol. 2 & 3
April 30th, 2004 06:37 PM
Main Offender In the news section it says the box set is due out on 4 May. How did you get it before then? And is it the same box set of singles?
April 30th, 2004 06:46 PM
Gazza >Gazza
Where did you get it for £32?

Virgin megastore in Belfast

>In the news section it says the box set is due out on 4 May. How did you get it before then?

4th May is a Tuesday. I presume youre in the US as in America Tuesday is the day for new releases. UK releases come out on Mondays, not Tuesdays.

>And is it the same box set of singles?

Of course! its the Decca singles and EP releases from "Come On" up to and including "Got Live if You Want It" EP. Naturally those are the ones that would be released in the UK

May 1st, 2004 10:36 AM
Main Offender I am in America. What is this box set called? There's one called the London Years, is this the same thing? I would think the one coming out here on Tuesday has a different name. Please tell the name of this new thing.
May 1st, 2004 11:32 AM
Main Offender Sorry, I was stupid. I went to amazon and I've ordered the box set. They say it will ship on 5 May and that fits with the date of release on 4 May. And I've answered my own question, it is not the London Years.
May 3rd, 2004 01:23 PM
Noonan McKane I finally completed my collection of RS CD's last november (for a very anxious 6 months or so, try as I might, I could NOT find a copy of 'Love You Live', new or used. Finally, a second hand shop in Glasgow, who I would gladly plug if only I could remember it's name, ended my torment for only 5 pounds!) so when I saw that the honourable Mr Klein's fine and noble organisation had yet more repackaged product on offer, my first thought was: "Thanks, but no thanks, Al"
I've owned 'The London Years' for over a decade now, and the tracks not included there (EP only songs, Poison Ivy, Bye Bye Johnny etc) I cleared up when I got 'More Hot Rocks' two Christmases ago. In my opinion this is simply racketeering. The recorded sound can not be MADE any better than digital technology has already made it, given the limitations of the source material; And the 'faithful reproductions' of the original sleeves is surely a moot point when one need only look in the ads in 'Record Collector' every month to find the actual 45's in question for sale, in mint condition for fairly reasonable money.

So yeah, I'll probably buy it!
May 3rd, 2004 02:02 PM
Noonan McKane Just checked; The Glasgow record shop which finally ended my search was 'Record Fayre', in Chisholm St. So thanks to them!
May 4th, 2004 12:34 AM
Madafaka Ok, I'll think about it. It looks very expensive. More of the same.
May 4th, 2004 02:02 AM
Stonesthrow Gazza-- Are the new boxed sets SACDs or merely CDs?
May 4th, 2004 11:37 AM
Gazza Doesnt mention SACD.

The sticker on the front says :
* Limited Edition box set
* Contains 12 CD's: 9 singles and for the first time on
CD, 3 EP's
* DSD Digitally Remastered Sound
* All singles feature original sleeves
* Contains 3 photo cards
* Includes 28 page booklet with rare photos, memorabilia
and exclusive liner notes
May 4th, 2004 02:34 PM
Monkey Woman It's incredible. I thought I could resist, but I see I'll have to buy it... Damn Allen Klein, damn Decca and damn the Stones for pushing the right buttons!

"It must be love, it's a bitch!!!"
May 4th, 2004 02:49 PM
glencar I haven't ordered it yet but I've got it going soon.
May 4th, 2004 02:50 PM
glencar It doesn't look like it's available at amazon.com.
May 4th, 2004 03:47 PM
Monkey Woman Yes it is, from today!

Singles 1963-1965 [LIMITED EDITION] [BOX SET]
May 4, 2004
$47.98 instead of $59.98
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001Z3U74/qid=1083699900/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9090382-0623126?v=glance&s=music
May 5th, 2004 12:33 AM
glencar Thanks MW!
May 5th, 2004 12:36 AM
Snappy McJack A real piece of crap. Saw it at Best Buy for $54.99.

They make it seem like it's an elaborate set, when in fact, the box is only a little over an inch deep.

All they did was stack sleeves on top of each other and threw them all into a little box.

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
May 5th, 2004 12:44 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Doesnt mention SACD.

The sticker on the front says :
* Limited Edition box set
* Contains 12 CD's: 9 singles and for the first time on
CD, 3 EP's
* DSD Digitally Remastered Sound
* All singles feature original sleeves
* Contains 3 photo cards
* Includes 28 page booklet with rare photos, memorabilia
and exclusive liner notes

DSD isn't that other format that is the rival to sacd is it ?
May 5th, 2004 02:03 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
DSD isn't that other format that is the rival to sacd is it ?

Yeap! Is another way to say SACD. In fact, DSD is the Phillips' way and SACD is the Sony's way. It's all about copyrights
May 5th, 2004 08:37 AM
Monkey Woman No, DSD is NOT the same as SACD. Read:
http://www.superaudio-cd.com/ (click on Technology)
http://www.dsdproaudio.com/html/dsd_sacd_explained.html

1) SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) is a new format of compact discs wich basically enables to put more digital information on a disc than the "old" CD standard.

2) DSD (Direct Stream Digital) on the other hand is a new process used to encode music into digital format. It's said to be more faithfull to the original than former

So, basically, you can record and digitally encode music with the DSD technology, but you don't necessarily have to put it on a SACD! For instance, Decca released in 2002 their DSD-encoded remasters of the Rolling Stones early records both on SACD and on ordinary CD.
May 5th, 2004 09:32 AM
Main Offender I agree with Gazza. My stuff arrived and I'm happy. Expensive yes, worth it, yes.
May 5th, 2004 10:42 AM
Noonan McKane I think the money could be better invested in hunting down the ACTUAL 7" singles.
They CAN be had, you know. And at less expense than one might think.
Plus, so long as one has a half-decent whirlybird, they'll ALWAYS sound better than any CD, be it DSD, SACD SuperFabAmaziDiscCD or whatever the fuck Sony and all those other fucking pirates happen to be trying to push on us at the time.......
Page: 1 2