ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Oh my God no fucking you again!!
NYC 2005 - © Julie Jacobson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones should do a brand new vigorous setlist Return to archive
May 13th, 2005 02:58 PM
billy In my opinion: don't do the warhorses this tour although these songs are classics. No discussion about that. But the idea to hear Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women and Satisfaction again and again makes me vomit. The Stones have written hundreds of outstanding songs. Many of these songs have never been played live. So drop the warhorses and ignore what 'the people' want. Give the real fans what they want to hear for years and years: Sway, Time Waits For No One, Let It Loose, Winter, Slave and so on.
Cut out the crap and ditch the backup shit. Just the five of them will do. And no warhorses!
[Edited by billy]
May 13th, 2005 03:20 PM
Dan Believe it or not the vast majority of the people paying $160-450 a ticket wouldnt do so if they didnt think they would be getting all the hits. Thats what sells the overpriced tickets, not the obscure fan favorites. Otherwise they would be at about the same level as a "cult" band who already usually play theatres or clubs for under 50 bucks. In all reality, they really are giving the people what they want which is why they will keep doing the warhorses tour after tour.
May 13th, 2005 03:27 PM
twicks1 You said it, Dan.

As long as the Stones are charging top dollar to play stadiums, you're gonna hear Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, etc. over and over again...

What I don't understand is that they have plenty of "radio hit" tunes they rarely perform: Shattered, Beast of Burden, Hang Fire, She's So Cold, Get Off My Cloud, Time Is On My Side...the list goes on. Why not substitute some of these tunes for the "warhorses"? I don't think there would be a mass bathroom exodus during any of these numbers.
May 13th, 2005 03:31 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
You said it, Dan.

As long as the Stones are charging top dollar to play stadiums, you're gonna hear Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, etc. over and over again...

What I don't understand is that they have plenty of "radio hit" tunes they rarely perform: Shattered, Beast of Burden, Hang Fire, She's So Cold, Get Off My Cloud, Time Is On My Side...the list goes on. Why not substitute some of these tunes for the "warhorses"? I don't think there would be a mass bathroom exodus during any of these numbers.

Maybe because they could sort of "phone in" the ones they've played non-stop?
May 13th, 2005 03:34 PM
billy well than it's a pity and a shame the Stones are being terrorised by people who pay 100 bucks or more to see them do the same tricks over and over again. Maybe Ray Davies was right when he wrote 'Give the people what they want'. Why don't the Stones call their tour The Bread And Circuses Tour?
May 13th, 2005 03:43 PM
polytoxic If anything, there will be probably be less obscure nuggets this time around (the eventual theatre shows excepted) because of the five or so new tunes each night.

But it true: You don't sell out stadiums with Coming Down Again &
Dear Doctor & Fingerprint File, you do it with Jumping Jack Flash, Start Me Up & Brown Sugar.
May 13th, 2005 04:11 PM
Dan
quote:
billy wrote:
well than it's a pity and a shame the Stones are being terrorised by people who pay 100 bucks or more to see them do the same tricks over and over again. Maybe Ray Davies was right when he wrote 'Give the people what they want'. Why don't the Stones call their tour The Bread And Circuses Tour?

I really doubt the Stones feel terrorized by earning upwards of 3 million a night to do what they do. However, I did read an interview with Mick during the NS tour and he said point blank that most of the people just want to hear the hits and that when he performs he can "see it in their faces."
May 13th, 2005 04:21 PM
billy quote: I really doubt the Stones feel terrorized by earning upwards of 3 million a night to do what they do.

The question is: do they really do what they want? Or do they do it because of the 3 million a night?
May 13th, 2005 04:24 PM
Dan
quote:
billy wrote:
quote: I really doubt the Stones feel terrorized by earning upwards of 3 million a night to do what they do.

The question is: do they really do what they want? Or do they do it because of the 3 million a night?

I think what they really want to do is earn 3 million a night. The rest really doesn't matter.
May 13th, 2005 04:34 PM
billy that's very very sad
May 13th, 2005 05:08 PM
gimmekeef At these prices its closer to $4 million a night..At avg tix at almost $200 or more...20,000 a night..thats 4 million in my math.....
May 13th, 2005 05:21 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
At these prices its closer to $4 million a night..At avg tix at almost $200 or more...20,000 a night..thats 4 million in my math.....

You are probably correct, I think 3 million was last time. Add in merchandising, and you also figure the Stones are taking a cut of parking and concessions somewhere in their total, and the price goes up a bit more. It would be interesting if a more in depth contract ever turned up on Smoking Gun.
May 13th, 2005 06:33 PM
billy what's the use of earning 3 or 4 million a night anyway when you have already hundreds of millions? Never understood such nonsense.
May 13th, 2005 06:38 PM
your mama I'd love to see a killer version of Ain't no use in crying
Stay away from me...

Stay away
May 13th, 2005 06:39 PM
billy thanks mama
May 13th, 2005 06:41 PM
your mama ain't no use
ain't no use....

Stay away
May 13th, 2005 06:44 PM
your mama Friday!
May 13th, 2005 07:35 PM
Soldatti They will never drop the warhorses. End of the story.
May 14th, 2005 07:39 AM
exile Do you seriously think they will drop the warhorses? NEVER

also it wouldnt be the same going to a stones show and not hearing START ME UP and brown sugar
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour