ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Oh my God no fucking you again!!
NYC 2005 - Š Julie Jacobson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones almost at Fenway for home opener Return to archive
May 12th, 2005 02:06 PM
rolling who Stones nearly rolled at Fenway for home opener
By: DAVID BORGES
Journal Register News Service
05/11/2005

BOSTON --- The World's Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band and the World Series champions will both call Fenway Park home this summer.

The Rolling Stones made public the worst-kept secret in the city Tuesday when they announced their 2005 world tour will start with two shows at Fenway on Aug. 21 and 23. The announcement was made yesterday at 1 p.m. at The Juilliard School in New York City and broadcast live at Fenway on the park's Jumbotron screen in centerfield.

Advertisement

But the Stones nearly made the announcement a month earlier in much grander fashion - at Fenway.

According to a Red Sox spokesman, the Stones were ready to announce the start of their tour at the Sox' home opener on April 11. One of the original plans was to have the song "1918 Nervous Breakdown" (a play on the Stones' classic "19th Nervous Breakdown") playing on the p.a. system while the world title banners were unfurled down the Green Monster.

Another more interesting plan had Mick Jagger running out on the field during the seventh-inning stretch and proclaiming, "It's been 86 years ... you've finally got some satisfaction!"

Suffice to say, that would have been a much more entertaining alternative to Terry Cashman.

But alas, all those plans fell through when the Stones decided to delay their tour announcement until yesterday. The Aug. 21 show is the only official one, but once that sells out, the second show will be added. Tickets go on sale on Saturday at 10 a.m.

After the two Fenway shows, the Stones will play another New England gig at the University of Connecticut's Rentschler Stadium.

David Wells is a big Stones fan who has seen the band at least a half-dozen times and met both Jagger and drummer Charlie Watts several times. When told the Sox would be in Anaheim on Aug. 21 and Kansas City on Aug. 23, the big lefthander joked, "I might have to go on the D.L. that week."

Wells getting well

In truth, Wells may be closer to coming off the D.L. than anyone might have expected.

Wells, who turns 42 a week from Friday, says he's about ready to permanently shed the removable boot cast he's worn since going on the D.L. on April 26 with a right foot sprain. Wells plans on throwing off a mound today and, if all goes well, accompany the Sox on their upcoming West Coast road trip and try another mound session out in Seattle.

Wells insisted there was no timetable for his return. But when asked if he could envision being back in Boston's rotation in three weeks, he said, "I'm shooting for it. If it goes well and I get through the agilities they want me to do, I can see that possibly happening."

Don't expect Wells in a PawSox (or any other minor-league) uniform before then, however. He was on the D.L. for about a month with San Diego last year but didn't require any rehab starts. Instead, he returned to the Padres' rotation with scoreless, back-to-back starts against the Red Sox (June 8 at Fenway Park in a classic duel with Pedro Martinez) and Yankees (June 13).

"I don't think it's going to benefit me any more going somewhere else and pitching," he said. "I know what I can do, so I'd rather rehab it that way."

Wells has been playing catch almost every day and keeping in shape by swimming, stationary bike riding and weightlifting. He's felt "pretty good" doing some light side-to-side work, though he says he still feels a little pressure in his foot when doing that.

"I've just got to keep up the nausea of rehabbing," he said. "It (stinks), but if it's meant to be, it's meant to be."

Progress reports

One thing seems certain: Wells will be pitching for the Sox again before Curt Schilling. The 38-year-old Schilling is still sporting his boot and will be re-evaluated today. Wells already has a big head-start on Schilling.

"Wells is out throwing, so I think he's probably going to start his progression pretty quickly," said manager Terry Francona. "He's already gotten a pretty good, clean bill of health."

Schilling hasn't been seen in the Sox' clubhouse the past couple of days but told a Boston radio station yesterday that he "really doesn't know" if his ankle is getting any better.

Meanwhile, veteran first baseman John Olerud, signed to a minor-league deal last week, has been battling through a bit of a sore hamstring but is expected to start playing extended spring training games as a DH this weekend. Rule V outfielder Adam Stern (thumb) has had no problems during batting practice in Fort Myers and should also be playing in extended spring training games as a DH by this weekend.

And Roberto Petagine has had "minimal problems" with the patella tendon that's had him on the D.L. since spring training and should leave Fort Myers "any time after Thursday" to start playing minor-league games, according to Francona.

Sox big in Portugal

The Red Sox are among the nominees for Portugal's prestigious Laureus World Team of the Year Award, to be announced on Monday in Estoril, Portugal. Also among the teams nominated for award are the Argentina Men's Basketball Team, the European Ryder Cup Team and Portugal's FC Porto.

ŠThe Pawtucket Times 2005

May 12th, 2005 02:13 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
rolling who wrote:

After the two Fenway shows, the Stones will play another New England gig at the University of Connecticut's Rentschler Stadium.

hmmm
May 12th, 2005 02:13 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
rolling who wrote:

hmmm
May 12th, 2005 02:40 PM
Saint Sway
quote:

David Wells is a big Stones fan who has seen the band at least a half-dozen times and met both Jagger and drummer Charlie Watts several times. When told the Sox would be in Anaheim on Aug. 21 and Kansas City on Aug. 23, the big lefthander joked, "I might have to go on the D.L. that week."

its true that hes a fan. I saw him at the Stones Roseland gig. He was up in the balcony.
May 12th, 2005 02:41 PM
mac_daddy is the 23rd show official..? i see nothing for tix...
May 12th, 2005 02:58 PM
GimmeExile Aug 23 will go onsale after Aug 21 sells out, which should be before 10:30 am Saturday.

You can count on it! There is no way in rock history that Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Buffett would play two shows at Fenway and the Stones only one.
May 12th, 2005 05:24 PM
glencar I can't wait for the Rentschler Field seats to go up for sale.
May 12th, 2005 06:01 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

its true that hes a fan. I saw him at the Stones Roseland gig. He was up in the balcony.

He'll be in Boston with the team trainer on the 21st, cause he is so injury prone.

Here Comes Your 19th Boomer Breakdown!!!
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour