ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Oh my God no fucking you again!!
NYC 2005 - © Julie Jacobson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ditch the backup crap! Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 11th, 2005 11:34 AM
Steel Wheels They sounded so good yesterday, just the 4 lads and Darryl. Keef was back to playing, not hiding behind the wall of crap. Start Me Up sounded SO GOOD with Keef chugging away, tearing off big fat riffs and licks. Ronnie and Charlie were tight as well. I was listening to a BAND, not a group of hangers-on.

They sounded fresh and ready to attack! ATTACK, Stones! Go get 'em!

GROWL!!!!

TEAR THE FLESH FROM THE FUCKING BONES YOU ANIMALS!

ATTACK!
May 11th, 2005 11:44 AM
J.J.Flash AMEM my brother!

Well said!

I bloody hope they get rid of all the bunch too.........

This is the only way to force them to play their arses off. This way.. nothing you can hide, this way....Keith and Ronnie PLAYING their guitars.

Brown Sugar sounded so fuckin' great, did you guys notice? Ronnie played the lead at the beggining A La Mick Taylor.

My God....I'm in ecstasy, still can't believe.....what a good dream.....
May 11th, 2005 11:53 AM
Saint Sway yesterday proved they dont need it

and it showed just how good the Stones sound stripped down and raw.

they sounded - dare I say - like the Stones.

the background musicians just slick it up too much and take away that classic raw Stones appeal that made them the rock gods that they are

Neil Young said it best:
"The Stones are the worlds greatest garage band."

they should just go with this lineup:
Mick. vox/guitar/harp
Keith & Woody. guitars
Charlie. drums
Daryl. bass

with...
Bobby Keys. OCCASSIONAL sax
Leavell. keys.
Lisa. OCCASSIONAL background vox
May 11th, 2005 12:07 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
yesterday proved they dont need it

and it showed just how good the Stones sound stripped down and raw.

they sounded - dare I say - like the Stones.

the background musicians just slick it up too much and take away that classic raw Stones appeal that made them the rock gods that they are

Neil Young said it best:
"The Stones are the worlds greatest garage band."

they should just go with this lineup:
Mick. vox/guitar/harp
Keith & Woody. guitars
Charlie. drums
Daryl. bass

with...
Bobby Keys. OCCASSIONAL sax
Leavell. keys.
Lisa. OCCASSIONAL background vox

You nailed it perfectly Sway fella.
May 11th, 2005 12:41 PM
BrotherM
Posfrigginlutely....this is Rock n Roll delivered the way its supposed to be...in the Raw!!!!!
May 11th, 2005 12:47 PM
KeepRigid This should be the lineup for the new album as well. More than anything, we need another Stones album that's only purpose is to be played loudly. No more trying to please critics with a more 'mature' Rolling Stones album. They've had enough to chew on since Tattoo You. ("Easiest lay on the White House lawn" is about as political as I like to see the Stones get.)

Look, it's not just fans- the WORLD needs this! Jesus Christ, U2 is now regarded as the biggest rock band out there! And Coldplay wants to be their successor! Where the fuck did we go wrong?! Where?!
May 11th, 2005 02:38 PM
CraigP I think they are past the whole back-up band shit. I think that at one point on the last tour, someone asked why the hell do we need this shit? The Stones haven't sounded as classic since '81 I'm estimating.
May 11th, 2005 02:41 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I think they are past the whole back-up band shit. I think that at one point on the last tour, someone asked why the hell do we need this shit? The Stones haven't sounded as classic since '81 I'm estimating.

Precisely!
May 11th, 2005 03:06 PM
Poplar
the guitar solo in Brown Sugar yesterday renewed all faith in these guys. it was beautiful.

May 11th, 2005 03:25 PM
Joey " .............not hiding behind the wall of crap. "

< -------------- " Peek - a - Boo ! "

Oh little fella ....... Why ?
May 11th, 2005 03:26 PM
Riffhard It's a nice thought,and I'd love to see them leave that bearded,1970's style shirt wearing freak at home,but it ain't gonna happen. Chuck will be there,and so will Blondie,Bernard,Lisa,the Uptown Horns. The whole fucking Vegas troupe will be there so get used to it now. Yesterday they did prove that they don't need them,but they only played three songs! They need UpChuck to direct the band for the duration of an 18 month tour! Sad to say,but true I'm afraid.

Riffhard
May 11th, 2005 03:40 PM
glencar The performance yesterday was the best since '81!
May 11th, 2005 04:13 PM
Steel Wheels The Stones have the taste of blood on their lips from the savage trio of tunes. IT WAS A FUCKING CALL TO ARMS FOR ALL STONES FANS.

They destroyed all the bullshit yesterday with a brilliant, energizing, awe-inspiring, and faith-in-music performance.

No more will the stage look like a ghetto for wayward musicians.

Nothing but a drum riser, mic stand, and some amps. Mick leading the show, Charlie pounding like atomic bombs, Keef's hellish electric charge, and Ronnie's highwire leads.

Ladies and Gents the Rolling God Damned Stones are back and in yer face!

FEAST NOW!

May 11th, 2005 04:25 PM
Riffhard
quote:
glencar wrote:
The performance yesterday was the best since '81!

True dat Blue!

Riffhard
May 11th, 2005 04:28 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. I think the fact that they didn't have the backup musicians yesterday speaks volumes. After all, it's their first performance in almost two years, and with the press there one would think they would try to play at their best. The fact that they felt confident enough to play without all those clowns is very uplifting.

The only backup musicians they need are:

Daryl
Chuck (but WAAAAYYYY LOW in the mix)
Bobby (you gotta love Bobby, and maybe one trumpet, just to give it the old Bobby/Jim Price flavor)

Everyone else is worthless. Lisa's only worthwhile contribution are the vocals on "Gimme Shelter." But it's not like they play "Gimme Shelter" every night, so they don't need her. Mick is just fine.

(Of course, they didn't have all the backup crap when they played Worcester in '89 before the Steel Wheels tour, then lo and behold the first show there they are).
May 11th, 2005 04:54 PM
Stray Cat UK They sounded raggy and brilliant.

Unfortunately,I think it will be back to Vegas on opening night.

I'd like to see more numbers played like this and maybe the big band just for big production numbers;

Sympathy
YCAGWYW
Gimme Shelter
Miss you..............that sort of thing

sc uk
May 11th, 2005 04:56 PM
Joey
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

True dat Blue!

Riffhard

Sup Riffy
May 11th, 2005 05:12 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Joey wrote:

Sup Riffy

Sup J

Riffhard
May 11th, 2005 06:14 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 they should play sympathy for the devil lacking the percussion instruments samples and play it like they did in 1969.
May 11th, 2005 07:14 PM
tumbling dice yesterday,they did the best performance in years,the guitars were loud and the new song is amazing
May 11th, 2005 10:24 PM
Soldatti This is the first gig that Chuck missed since 1982 and was the best since then.
May 11th, 2005 10:26 PM
Madafaka The new song live is awesome, I like it more than DS!
May 12th, 2005 03:57 AM
gotdablouse I wonder whether Chuck was at the Club 100 in London when they played this tribute concert for Ian Stewart in 1986. Talk about an insult to his memory to have that goofy guy plink plonking around...
May 12th, 2005 04:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man There is no denying it, the Stones rocked at the conference gig. Start Me Up was great, the new song was great and it was refreshing to see Ronnie to tackle the Brown Sugar solo.

HOWEVER, talk about the Stones no longer needing the back up is nonsense in my opinion. They played three riff-laden numbers, which require LITTLE to no back up in the first place. I personally think they'd struggle without the others for a whole gig. Keith and Ronnie need someone to fill the gaps.

May 12th, 2005 08:02 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
[...]

HOWEVER, talk about the Stones no longer needing the back up is nonsense in my opinion. They played three riff-laden numbers, which require LITTLE to no back up in the first place. I personally think they'd struggle without the others for a whole gig. Keith and Ronnie need someone to fill the gaps.

Holy Jesus....the reason you pointed to justify the need of the back up bunch is exactly why we don't wanna them anymore, this way forcing Keith and Ronnie to play their arses off.

It was a good dream, I'm in heaven....I still have the faith that this time they decrease Leavells volume in the mix, and get rid of the whole bunch.

As somebody at this board said, they just need Bobby and OCASIONALLY, READ RARELY Lisa Fischer, just for songs like Gimme Shelter, and not screwing with her sort of Opera's soprano.

"I beg you, READ THIS RONNIE, tell 'em!"
May 12th, 2005 08:10 AM
marko I know Blondie will be there,no idea about the others.But
i got the image,that they might strip it down a bit.
May 12th, 2005 08:28 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
marko wrote:
I know Blondie will be there,no idea about the others.But
i got the image,that they might strip it down a bit.

Just the less needed......as they say..."a dead weight"
May 12th, 2005 08:49 AM
Nasty Habits I will bet anybody here a five to one return on their Stones tickets that the entire crew will be in place come the first gig of the tour. Three songs = b-stage performance. 23 songs - backups + 23 year absence from carrying an entire performance = you do the math. The best you can hope for is they turn up the guitars.

May 12th, 2005 09:01 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I will bet anybody here a five to one return on their Stones tickets that the entire crew will be in place come the first gig of the tour. Three songs = b-stage performance. 23 songs - backups + 23 year absence from carrying an entire performance = you do the math. The best you can hope for is they turn up the guitars.

Why do you need to burst my bubble Nasty?!?!?
May 12th, 2005 09:36 AM
FPM C10 A big problem is using their backup TOO much. I saw an interview with one of the Uptown Horns guys and he said that they were contacted very late in the game before the Steel Wheels tour and not given much time to prepare before the tour started. When Mick initially contacted them, he said "we don't really NEED horns, do we? And if we have them, we'll use them too much." Then (tragically!) he changed his mind.

That's the thing. Use them when the song calls for it. Don't put horns in JJF, fer crissakes. But it's like, they're THERE, they're being paid, might as well use 'em... Maybe if they paid their backups piece rate, by the song, Mick's miserliness would keep them from using them too much.

I'm not a big fan of the '81 tour, and there's no way we'll get a whole show of JUST the Stones, but playing perhaps 1/3 of the show the way they played Tuesday would be GREAT.

But I'll take what I get and LIKE IT! Thank you Sir Mick may I have another!
Page: 1 2
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour