ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Neidersachsenstadion, Hannover, June 6, 1982
By Axel Schumacher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Patti Smith Does "Jumpin' Jack Flash" !! Return to archive
05-10-03 08:47 PM
Gazza Just got home from seeing an amazing show from Patti Smith tonight in Belfast as part of the Cathedral Arts Festival here. Her first time here,with an evening of words and music accompanied by Oliver Ray from the PSG on acoustic guitar

expected a heavy emphasis on the arty-farty stuff but although there was some poetry (which was pretty good) thankfully the emphasis was mostly on the music. Incredibly powerful 2-hour performance considering the fact it had minimal musical accompaniment.

half way through the gig she introduced the next song as "heres a BRITISH folk song" and belted out a terrific and euphoric version of "jumpin jack flash" (I was right in front of her monitor wearing my Stones/NYC shirt and she started grinnin at me while playing it as if to say "thats yours" ..lol)

her singing was absolutely breathtaking throughout. at the end of the gig she decided to come back out and sat down and had a chat with the crowd in a kind of improvised Q&A session, told a few hilarious stories, including a good one of when she toured with Dylan and had to duet on "dark eyes" with him. she offered to sing a verse of it if she could remember the lyrics.I fed her the first line and she said thanks and rattled it off..lol. Great evening - even got my copy of "Land" signed afterwards and my mate videotaped it..

if shes playin' near you in the near future,go see her. A fantastic evening.
05-10-03 11:21 PM
purrcafe Patti Smith is fucking great. What a joy that she came back so strong after all those years away from performing. I saw what had to be one of her first musical performances when she resurfaced at Central Park here in NY. After reading she brought out the band and launched into a great version of Ghost Dance. What a great, emotional night.
05-11-03 12:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl She performs great covers live while her studio albums are almost all by her. Her cover of "Paint it Black" is great, I would love to hear her version of JJF!

Also she has a good taste for covers and her versions are really cool, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, etc

If you get a boot from the show, please remember me!
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
05-11-03 01:28 AM
Child of the Moon To quote Peter Tork of the Monkees, "I myself am deeply jealous." It's become one of my dreams lately so see Patti Smith play live, because I've really in the last two months gotten into her. She's an incredible artist, and I have this strange, unexplainable attraction to her. Maybe it's that whole "female Keith Richards" thing she has going. Glad you enjoyed the show, Gazza.
05-11-03 04:53 AM
F505 Yes, Patti is one of the artists I am eager to see. She is one of the greatest rock'n'roll artists still around. Patti please come to Holland!!!! Please!!!!
05-11-03 01:02 PM
Factory Girl Gazza,

Thank you for the review. I have been fortunate enough to see Patti Smith twice in recent years (both times, in a small club). I heard her do "Paint It Black" and Neil Young's "Keep On Rocking in the Free World". I was also fortunate enough to have her, Lenny Kay and Jay Dee Dougherty sign my copy of Land (vinyl).

Patti Smith is one of my favorite musicians. Btw, she also has done "Time Is on My Side". Gazza, if the show you attended is circulated, please please do a tree here.
05-11-03 02:17 PM
Martha How fuckin' cool Gazza...that sounds like an unforgettable night!!! I love your review! :-)

I will do my best to catch Patti when she returns to the States...as I've never seen her live before. I've only seen her perform on SNL or Letterman..and I did get Land recently.

If a boot of this show circulates please count me in!!!
05-11-03 04:05 PM
Gazza well,I'll definitely be getting a video of it OK (it actually took place in a college bar...so a pretty intimate show!) so if I get that, theres the PAL/NTSC video format hurdle to get across for those of you outside Europe

Hopefully I'll get something on audio too. If so,I'll happily circulate it.

>Also she has a good taste for covers and her versions are really cool, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, etc

most of those artists got a credit last night. The pre-show music was all Doors songs, she played "Hey Joe", dedicated a song for Jerry Garcia, told a couple of Dylan stories and recited a hilarious double entendre laced poem called "Dylan's Dog" inspired by a dream about him (which she introduced with a funny story about how Bob came up to her in the street in New York and asked her what it meant. Her impersonation of Dylan is side splitting). Naturally,being in Belfast she played "Gloria" as an encore and ended with "Be My Baby"

[Edited by Gazza]
05-11-03 11:22 PM
gypsymofo60 Although she has a tendency to trundle off into esoteric land a little too often with all that "at heart I am moslem, at heart I am an American artist", bollocks, she has to be the greatest female song writer of the last three decades. I enjoyed all her studio efforts, but unfortunately have never had the pleasure....(of seeing her live I mean.) I am glad that she is back on the road, and with any luck she may deem to visit these fair shores, but unfortunately yet again, she is one of those artists who are so sadly undervalued, and unappreciated here in loopy land. God love ya Patti! I sure as hell do.
05-12-03 09:40 AM
jb ............
[Edited by jb]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003