ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Neidersachsenstadion, Hannover, June 6, 1982
By Axel Schumacher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Exile on main st. Return to archive
05-10-03 04:14 PM
hotlicks My son posted his own review of exile on a music website, on which the reviewer argued the case that he thought exile was a weak album, here's my son's response.

"If an alien landed in your back garden tonight, and you wanted to explain what rock n' roll was all about, you would probably play 'Exile on main street' in it's entirety. When I first heard this album I thought some of the tracks were good, some not so good, but now after repeated listens I would say it's the most honest and heartfelt stones album, a band paying tribute to their r'n'b, country and blues roots, whilst making rock history while they are doing it.

Lyrically I don't think they've been better either, and the whole album plays like a aural equivalent of a American road trip. Singing around the campfire in the mountains to 'Sweet Virginia'. Gambling in Las Vegas to 'Tumbling Dice'. Sampling a Saturday night fish fry in new Orleans to 'Just wanna see his face'. Dropping into a Texas juke joint to 'Torn and frayed'.
Attending a gospel choir in a Harlem chapel to 'Shine a light'. Hanging on the corner with some Chicago blues men to 'Shake your hips'.

Even the photography on the album cover is by Robert Frank, who is known for his famous collection of photographs from the '40s and '50s called 'The Americans', which show the heart of America and its people, in both it's urban and rural settings. All in all, it's one of the finest records I've ever had the pleasure of listening to."
05-10-03 06:13 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Your son's a smart man.

Give that boy a guitar and pen and let him rip, Ronnie!

-tSYX --- Paperback writer...
05-11-03 12:57 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, you son rules, and as "like father like son" you do too, great reply
05-11-03 01:35 AM
Child of the Moon Your son and I need to sit down and groove to that album together, because he took the words right out of my mouth. Rock and roll.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003