ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Neidersachsenstadion, Hannover, June 6, 1982
By Axel Schumacher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill Wyman attending Lonnie Donegan's memorial service Return to archive
05-09-03 09:44 AM
CS Stars honour skiffle legend Donegan
By Tim Moynihan
FAMILY, friends and colleagues of skiffle star Lonnie Donegan packed a church yesterday to pay tribute to a legend of the British pop scene.

Stars attending the memorial service at St Paul�s Church in Covent Garden, central London, included Brian May, Mark Knopfler and Bill Wyman.

Music which Donegan helped popularise rang out in the building as his work as a pioneer of British pop was remembered.

Queen star May sang I�m Just A Rolling Stone, accompanied by Lonnie�s son Peter and Lonnie�s Group.

And there was a rollicking

finale to the ceremony when the same musicians performed Have A Drink On Me.

Donegan died in November aged 71, midway through a UK tour after collapsing at the home of friends in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

He had been complaining of back trouble shortly before he felt unwell and suffered heart attacks in the past.

He was responsible for inspiring a number of stars, including May and Sir Paul McCartney, to take an interest in music.

May told the congregation: �I was one of those kids who was totally inspired the first time I heard Lonnie Donegan.

�I could not believe this thing called skiffle. It�s absolutely the reason I first picked up a guitar.

�It�s a great thrill to play today with his fantastic band.�

Dire Straits star Knopfler said afterwards: �It was Lonnie got me started, his were the first records that I bought, or got my Mum to buy.�

He added: �He was the first British rock superstar.�

Rolling Stones star Wyman told PA News: �The service was wonderful, it gave you all a really good feeling, we all enjoyed it, there were a lot of laughs, and that�s the way he would like it.

�He was the first Englishman that did it, he was the inspiration to all the bands of the 60s, and we owe it to him.�

The service was also attended by guitar legend Bert Weedon, who will be 83 on Saturday, and said: �I thought it was superb, a lovely tribute to Lonnie, who was a lovely man.

�I was so pleased to see so many of my fellow guitarists here.�

Also present was former Northern Ireland secretary Mo Mowlem, who said: �He was a friend of mine, it was a very moving service.�

Glasgow-born Donegan left school aged 14 and worked as a clerk in a stockbrokers office before developing an interest in country and western music during military service.

His hits included My Old Man�s A Dustman and Cumberland Gap, which got to number one in 1957.

In the 1990s he was awarded a lifetime achievement Ivor Novello award for his song writing, and in 2000 he was appointed MBE for his contribution to music
05-09-03 09:55 AM
stonedinaustralia so he's dead just now??

well he's a legend living off a black (wo)man's ass...(to a degree - but he started a lot of trouble in any event...
05-09-03 01:38 PM
Hannalee Ronnie was there, too.

Lonnie died last November while on tour in the UK.
05-09-03 01:51 PM

05-09-03 01:51 PM

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003