ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Congratulations Keef: Cleared and back to rock!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Troubling new reportage from the NZ Herald Return to archive
10th May 2006 08:26 PM
Zulu Fun Mix You know, one seriously important question here is: If Keith is actually doing fine as Jerry Hall and the publicists insist, then why hasn't he personally issued a statement? Why hasn't he written something short up saying simply "thanks to the fans for their concern but I'm getting better and will be back in action soon?"

New report:

*New Zealand Herald*
NZ show may have been Richards' last
Thursday May 11, 2006
By David Eames

Keith Richards' wife Patti Hanson and his four children are at his bedside as concerns grow that the 62-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist may never perform live again.

Minders for Richards and his family appeared outside Auckland's Ascot Hospital yesterday to tell waiting media the ageing rocker was recovering well, but was likely to be in hospital for some time.

His son Marlon and wife Lucie, and daughters Angela, Theodora and Alexandra had joined Ms Hanson.

Richards was brought to Auckland after falling from a palm tree while holidaying in Fiji last month.

London's Sun newspaper yesterday quoted a source close to Richards who said the musician's condition was "much more serious than The Rolling Stones camp have been letting people believe".

The source claimed there were concerns among medical staff that Richards could be left brain damaged or partially paralysed by the fall, and the family had been warned Richards might never perform live again. The Rolling Stones' last show was in Wellington on April 18.

Publicists for the band had earlier rejected Herald reports Richards had undergone two brain operations, but the source told the Sun the star had suffered blackouts after a first operation - believed to have been performed on April 28 - to drain a blood clot from his skull.

New York-based publicist Fran Curtis claimed yesterday: "The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8, and was 100 per cent successful. There was no brain damage. He continues to improve as expected."

But the Sun said doctors found Richards suffered a "complete mid-line shift" - a condition where one side of the brain collapses on to the other - after his first operation.

The second operation is understood to have been carried out by Auckland's Ascot Hospital-based neurosurgeon Edward Mee. Mr Mee could not be contacted by the Herald last night.

Fellow Stones Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood are believed to be watching Richards' progress from London, while Mick Jagger is "monitoring the situation" from the United States, the Sun said.

Richards' illness has forced Stones management to postpone Bigger Bang tour dates in Europe, a situation that would be an "absolute nightmare", said New Zealand concert promoter Brent Eccles.

The Herald attempted to speak last night with the band's UK publicist Bernard Doherty, but was not successful.

"We like your newspaper, not," he said, before hanging up.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10381286
10th May 2006 08:31 PM
steel driving hammer Yawn.
10th May 2006 08:35 PM
Gazza fuck not another new thread on this.

Even the "Sun" appear to have given up this line of thought and are now putting the 'official' statement in their updated online edition
[Edited by Gazza]
10th May 2006 08:35 PM
sirmoonie Oh yeah?

Well this rumor trumps your'n.

Gaming the sitch doesn't make sense to me, Zulu - why do it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4756955.stm

Anyway, please brace yourselves my true Stonesian friends. I don't think the Rolling Stones will ever play again, and hey - thats okay, isn't it? What a fucking band, and what a ride.
10th May 2006 08:44 PM
Zulu Fun Mix Are you kidding? This is the most important story to concern the Stones ever. Everything else pales to bullshit in the context of this. Every clue matters as to what might be going on: the fact that the Stones spokesman wouldn't talk to the NZ Herald (when he could have refuted their reports point-by-point), the fact that the NZ Herald is sticking to its story, the fact that Keith himself hasn't issued a statement, etc. The tea leaves must be read.
10th May 2006 08:49 PM
steel driving hammer Say what it is Ronnie!

Keith Richards' Brain Just Fine By Gina Serpe
19 minutes ago

By Gina Serpe A Mother Fucking P.

The Rolling Stones want everyone to know that Keith Richards hasn't suffered any brain damage--at least not stemming from his latest misadventure.

A rep for the rock band has emphatically denied a report in the New Zealand Herald that the hard-living, accident-prone guitarist has undergone two surgeries for his head injury earlier this month and that his condition is much more serious than first thought. The spokeswoman claims that the coconut- (or Jet Ski-) induced incident--has been grossly overblown.

"Keith Richards did not undergo a second operation," Fran Curtis said in a statement Wednesday. "The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8, and was 100 percent successful. There was no brain damage. He continues to improve as expected."

The statement was issued in response to a widely circulated report in the Herald Monday that the aging wild man had undergone an unreported surgery on Apr. 28, shortly after his initial injury, to stop bleeding in his skull.

The paper claimed that the 62-year-old received a craniotomy for a subdural hematoma, a blood clot that forms on the outer membranes of the brain, a major operation which requires drilling through and removing a portion of the skull.

The Herald also reported that although Richards was released after the first operation, he was readmitted Monday for a second surgery to release more pressure after passing out and suffering "major headaches." The Reuters news agency picked up the story and played up the possible brain damage angle.

10th May 2006 08:51 PM
pdog I only wish the best for Keith, I care about nothing else concerning The Stones, the tour or future albums...
10th May 2006 09:25 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:

But the Sun said doctors found Richards suffered a "complete mid-line shift" - a condition where one side of the brain collapses on to the other - after his first operation.

The second operation is understood to have been carried out by Auckland's Ascot Hospital-based neurosurgeon Edward Mee. Mr Mee could not be contacted by the Herald last night.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10381286

These are the lines that concern me. I want desperatly to believe the official Stones line on this whole deal and I do,but there is certainly some cause for concern here. I mean it is true that Keith himself has made no statement personally. And the fact that several seperate sources have claimed there was a second operation is strange as well. This "complete mid-line shift" shit is very scary. Plus we know damned good and well that the Stones are going to put the best foot forward at this point. Afterall there are literally hundreds of millions of dollars resting on the outcome. Time will tell. In the mean time I'll be give the old bastard an extra prayer or two for the next few days.

Riffy
10th May 2006 10:44 PM
Spru
quote:
pdog wrote:
I only wish the best for Keith, I care about nothing else concerning The Stones, the tour or future albums...

Right on bro.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)