ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Congratulations Keef: Cleared and back to rock!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones deny Keith Richards suffered brain damage Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10th May 2006 04:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Well I have sources too. And they ain't saying shit at present. It's a wait and see attitude from what I gather. However,my true sources are a little something I like to refer to as common sense,and that tells me that it was far more serious than we have led to believe. On another thread Soldatti stated that according to The Sun in the UK not only are Keith's kids and Patti by his side,but so to is Anita. If this is true then common sense dictates that there is far more to this than meets the eye. I hope and pray that I'm wrong here,but if Anita is at his bedside too that cannot be a positive sign. It may all be a crock of shite,and I hope it is,but the truth is that we are purely speculating at this point.

Riffy

I have "The Sun" in front of me and they have NOT stated that Anita is there. Theyve stated that his two children BY Anita (Marlon and Angela) are there - but dont even mention his two daughters by Patti , who we KNOW are there because we've seen TV footage. Sounds to me like they're making much of this thing up.

Reads like a standard hysterical Sun report to me, based on a bit of fact and fiction and some half truths and a few quotes from anonymous 'sources'. Most reputable news agencies arent taking this angle at all. The TV news last night showed people carrying in guitars. Doesnt sound that critical to me.

I'm normally the eternal cynic, but the Stones press release last night is more believable, simply because of how clear a statement it was. They didnt have to rule out the "second op" story, but they did. They unequivocally dismissed it as rubbish. And instead of adopting a 'wait and see' prognosis they flat out stated the op was "a 100% success". It would have been quite reasonable for them to say that despite a 100% successful op. recovery may take some time (even months) and that wouldnt have been too alarming as long as we were assured the prognosis was good - but theyre still talking about "weeks" rather than "months". If they bullshit us about this, they'd have as much credibility as the Iraqi Infomation Minister. However, they could have said nothing or released a statement that was very vague - but they didnt.

As for the "family rushing to the bedside" thing, surely thats natural. The man has been stuck halfway across the world for a couple of weeks forbidden to fly and probably this will be the case for a while yet. I'd have thought it quite normal that they come out to see him. In "Sunspeak" routinely visiting someone in hospital is easily twisted into "maintaining a bedside vigil". It's the way they work, unfortunately.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th May 2006 05:03 AM
Angiegirl The footage with guitars is from the first weekend in hospital, they pasted it in between current footage.

Nonetheless, I agree with Gazza, it'll be ok.
10th May 2006 05:10 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
The footage with guitars is from the first weekend in hospital, they pasted it in between current footage.

Nonetheless, I agree with Gazza, it'll be ok.

Are there any online sources with all the footage with the guitars and all? I just feel like seeing it.

I've only seen some short reports online with just photos of the hospital.
10th May 2006 05:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
The footage with guitars is from the first weekend in hospital, they pasted it in between current footage.

Fair enough, although the more scurrilous reports would have us believe that was after he'd had his first (apparently non-existent) op when it was at a time where he was officially recovering from concussion.

That said, Angie - IORR news http://www.iorr.org/news.htm lists the "guitars story" as being from "today" (ie May 9th). Keith's op took place the day previously.

Radio news here has repeated the "all is OK" official line.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th May 2006 05:27 AM
FotiniD Just found this piece on IORR, sorry if it's been posted before, and I don't know at all how credible or not it is (it comes from the Daily Mirror ), but I liked the optimism in it, so...

Still just rumours and unchecked sources, but hey, if they're positive!

----------------------------------------------------------

KEITH 'NOT IN PERIL'
By Allison Martin

THE Rolling Stones last night laughed off claims that Keith Richards was paralysed and could be left braindamaged after his fall from a tree.

A spokesman also rubbished reports that the 62-year-old rocker's family were holding a bedside vigil after a second operation in New Zealand to remove a blood clot from his brain.

He added: "There is no brain damage, there is no paralysis, there was no second operation and there is no bedside vigil.

"Keith has had one operation and has since been on the phone laughing and joking."

----------------------------------------------------------

I like that picture and I want to believe in it.
[Edited by FotiniD]
10th May 2006 05:35 AM
Gazza the tabloid wars have started in the UK - whilst the Sun are putting their usual spin on things and making a mountain out of a molehill, their rival The Daily Mirror says the opposite :

10 May 2006
KEITH 'NOT IN PERIL'
By Allison Martin

THE Rolling Stones last night laughed off claims that Keith Richards was paralysed and could be left braindamaged after his fall from a tree.

A spokesman also rubbished reports that the 62-year-old rocker's family were holding a bedside vigil after a second operation in New Zealand to remove a blood clot from his brain.

He added: "There is no brain damage, there is no paralysis, there was no second operation and there is no bedside vigil.

"Keith has had one operation and has since been on the phone laughing and joking."

Keith, right, fell from a coconut tree while on holiday in Fiji.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17055603%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=keith%2d%2dnot%2din%2dperil%2d%2d-name_page.html
10th May 2006 05:36 AM
Gazza ah..you beat me to the punch, Fotini....
10th May 2006 07:14 AM
Gazza

Stones star Richards 'improving'

The band postponed the start of the European leg of their world tour

Rolling Stones star Keith Richards has not had a second brain operation and is improving "as expected" after suffering a head injury, his publicist has said.
Press reports said the hell-raising guitarist had surgery again following a first operation on Monday.

But an official statement said the first operation was "100% successful".

"There was no brain damage," it said. "He continues to improve as expected." Richards is thought to have fallen out of a tree while on holiday in Fiji.

He is being treated in New Zealand and the band have postponed the start of the European leg of their world tour, which was due to kick off at the end of May.

'Bedside vigil'

His spokeswoman Fran Curtis also denied a Sun newspaper front page story that said Richards's family had mounted a bedside vigil.

Days before Richards had his first operation, the spokeswoman said the rock legend would not need surgery. She originally said he had suffered "mild concussion".

The Sun said surgeons removed a piece of skull to relieve pressure on his brain in the second operation.

The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang European tour is now expected to start in June - but details of the rearranged shows have not been confirmed.

The 35-date tour had been scheduled to start in Barcelona on 27 May and end in Cardiff on 29 August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4756955.stm

10th May 2006 07:23 AM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks you Gazza, my friend! But why do I have that gnawing pain in the pit of my stomach. Let's hope it is the coffee!
10th May 2006 07:28 AM
Gazza You're welcome, my princess. Personally I think it's wind.
10th May 2006 07:31 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You're welcome, my princess. Personally I think it's wind.

Hahaha, that's more like it
Don't worry boys and girls - I got a gut feeling our man's gonna make it just fine.

Thanks for the news Gazza!
10th May 2006 08:36 AM
gimmekeef I just wish everyone would shove "their sources" where the sun dont shine for awhile.Needless speculation about Keith aint helping.
10th May 2006 08:42 AM
glencar When he's down in the antipodes, speculation is really all we have. Don't we have some NZ posters?
10th May 2006 09:32 AM
LadyJane I can't even get away from this at work!!

My coworker says (WITH GLEE)"It's over for your boy. He's got brain damage and can't play anymore. Stones are gonna replace him on the European Tour and give the $$ to his family!!"

This is being reported on radio...a station that plays hip hop.

Come on Keith...prove them all wrong.

LJ.
10th May 2006 09:32 AM
Gazza The BBC story I posted above has now been updated to include this extra piece :

Jerry Hall, former wife of Stones singer Sir Mick Jagger, said she was in contact with Richards's family by email and the guitarist was "doing very well".

"We are very upset about it. Mick is on holiday at the moment so he is hearing the same news as we are," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4756955.stm
10th May 2006 09:36 AM
PartyDoll MEG Keep finding those articles, Gazza. Cheer me up!!
And it ain't wind!!
10th May 2006 09:39 AM
FotiniD Also, don't know if it was mentioned, but Stonesdoug posted this yesterday on Shidoobee:

In addition to this the procedure that Keith had was elective. He was out of the hospital and continued to have headaches and was told this was something he could do to ease the aches, but it was not mandatory. It was more like a needle shot into his head to relieve the pressure, not getting his head drilled.
10th May 2006 10:49 AM
Zulu Fun Mix Then "Stonesdoug" apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, since even the band's PR machine admits Keith is still in the hospital. This kind of operation--which *does* involve drilling a hole in the head--would only be "elective" in the sense that the patient elects not to risk death.

It won't do to wish away the seriousness of these events and grasp at PR straws. Mick will mobilize people to say whatever he wants them to say publicly to create an image that everything is fine and the tour is still on. But Keith is likely to be out of action for weeks or even months.
10th May 2006 10:58 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I can't even get away from this at work!!

My coworker says (WITH GLEE)"It's over for your boy. He's got brain damage and can't play anymore. Stones are gonna replace him on the European Tour and give the $$ to his family!!"

LJ.

your co-workers sound like jerks.
10th May 2006 11:07 AM
jb LJ, you must control all aspects of emotion at work..Keith is fine and tour will resume...I am 99% confident of that.
10th May 2006 11:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:
Then "Stonesdoug" apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, since even the band's PR machine admits Keith is still in the hospital.

thats not what was implied in Fotini's post.

I think its pretty much accepted that Keith WAS out of hospital and then readmitted himself a few days ago for his recent surgery
[Edited by Gazza]
10th May 2006 11:57 AM
Martha Keith is gonna be ok. His daughters of course went to be with him. I'd do the same if I was in their shoes. I lost my Dad in November, as many of you know, and this incident with Keith has unnerved me more than it might have as a result, I think. It's humbling.

What helps me besides sending him prayers is to remember that Keith has a VERY strong constitution....and lots of love surrounding him.

He'll be A-Ok.

Indeed!

XXOO,
Martha
10th May 2006 12:43 PM
jostorm To the nice administrators:

Could we please erase any posts coming from ZULU FUN MIX ??? He gives me really bad stomach ache!
And if that is too unreasonable and undemocratic a request, could you pretty-please at least change his name to ZULU SCAREMONGER AND NO FUN AT ALL MIX ????

And now go and play with your voodoo-doll-collection, Zulu, and let us get on with our positive thoughts, there's a good goat!....
10th May 2006 03:26 PM
keefkid
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I can't even get away from this at work!!

LJ.

I HOPE YOU BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM...

get well keef...
10th May 2006 03:32 PM
jb Control your emotions LJ.............you are in a professional work atmosphere were your top priority is not the Stones, but those whom you work for. You co-worker's behavior may be ill-mannered, but you must amitain your professionalism at all time!!!!
10th May 2006 03:35 PM
glencar
quote:
jostorm wrote:
To the nice administrators:

Could we please erase any posts coming from ZULU FUN MIX ??? He gives me really bad stomach ache!
And if that is too unreasonable and undemocratic a request, could you pretty-please at least change his name to ZULU SCAREMONGER AND NO FUN AT ALL MIX ????

And now go and play with your voodoo-doll-collection, Zulu, and let us get on with our positive thoughts, there's a good goat!....

Listen, i'd like to see you banned or have your handle changed to joblitheringmoron but YCAGWYW.
[Edited by glencar]
10th May 2006 03:36 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
Control your emotions LJ.............you are in a professional work atmosphere were your top priority is not the Stones, but those whom you work for. You co-worker's behavior may be ill-mannered, but you must amitain your professionalism at all time!!!!

She's a quivering mess of emotions & I'm somewhat worried about her. Get a grip, good Lady J!
10th May 2006 03:37 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:

She's a quivering mess of emotions & I'm somewhat worried about her. Get a grip, good Lady J!

That's why we luv her!!!! She also suppoerted me folicly!!!!
10th May 2006 03:39 PM
glencar We love her cause she's a fucking crazy Stones fan! Just like You & me, beeyatch!
10th May 2006 04:12 PM
LadyJane I laughed it off.....I NEVER let my emotions interfere with my professionalism, well, almost never.

A true Gemini....I have dual personalities.

Hey I wasn't the only one freaking out last night, Blue. In fact I was fine until the rest of you (Riffy, MEG, SV, Steel Wheels, YOU, et al) got me going. Then...complete basket case.

I love Keith.....

LJ.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)