ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Congratulations Keef: Cleared and back to rock!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones deny Keith Richards suffered brain damage Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
9th May 2006 09:53 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch This story is one hour old:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-05-10T002541Z_01_N02309188_RTRUKOC_0_UK-RICHARDS.xml

Wed May 10, 2006 1:25 AM BST162

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, recovering from a head injury caused by a fall last month in Fiji, has not suffered brain damage, a spokeswoman for the band said on Tuesday.

The Stones' New York-based publicist, Fran Curtis, issued a statement denying a report in the New Zealand Herald that Richards, 62, had undergone two surgeries and that doctors were concerned about brain damage.

"Keith Richards did not undergo a second operation. The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8, and was 100 percent successful," the band's statement said. "There was no brain damage. He continues to improve as expected."

The European leg of the band's "A Bigger Bang" world tour would begin in June, the statement said.

The hard-living Richards, a founding member and mainstay of the band with lead singer Mick Jagger since the Stones formed in the early 1960s, has been in Auckland, New Zealand, under medical observation and treatment since taking a fall while on vacation in the island resort of Fiji in late April.

Last week, a spokeswoman for the band said Richards had suffered only a mild concussion and would not need surgery.

But the band issued a statement on Monday acknowledging that after complaining of headaches, he had undergone "a small operation to remove the pressure."

The New Zealand Herald, citing an unnamed source, reported that Richards had undergone surgery 11 days earlier, on April 28, to stop bleeding in his skull, and that medical staff feared for his life at that time.

According to the Herald, he was discharged a few days later but was readmitted to the hospital after passing out and complaining of major headaches. Continuted...

The second operation, which the newspaper described as major surgery, involved drilling holes in Richards' skull, and removing a portion of the skull, to remove blood clots.

Ascot Hospital in Auckland declined comment on the report.

Richards' two daughters -- 21-year-old Theodora and 19-year-old Alexandra -- also were reported to have arrived at the hospital to join their mother at Richards' bedside.

The Stones' publicists have given few details of Richards' fall, which happened after the band's tour through Japan, China, Australia and New Zealand. Newspaper accounts have variously reported that he fell from a tree or from a watercraft while on vacation.

NOTE: Only one surgery has been done. The Hearld got it wrong.

[Edited by Lucy_Bandersnatch]
9th May 2006 09:59 PM
Riffhard Well I certainly hope that this lateset report is accurate,but bear in mind that the Stones PR machine is going to always put the best possible spin on the situation. My only real concerns are the fact that the family was obviously summoned on rather short notice. Though this latest statement does offer some relief. Sounds promising!

Riffy
9th May 2006 10:02 PM
LadyJane Riffy...got your message...can't talk right now.

Mom was taken by a cerebral hemmorrage....this is too close.

BUT...as I was composing my RO prayer....this news was posted.

I HAVE to take comfort in that.

LJ.

9th May 2006 10:07 PM
parmeda LJ...do I need to call you and make you piss in your pants again?

I will!!!

Just say the word...
9th May 2006 10:08 PM
FPM C10 Neither of these stories mean anything. The last place to look for real news is the Stones' website. They get everything wrong, and are paid to wear a happy face. As for the the "family being summoned", if money is no object and your old man who you're really close to is in the hospital in New Zealand, of COURSE you're going to go give him support.

The headlines look dire, but there's nothing solid to base anything on.

I still feel like puking.
9th May 2006 10:16 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Neither of these stories mean anything. The last place to look for real news is the Stones' website. They get everything wrong, and are paid to wear a happy face. As for the the "family being summoned", if money is no object and your old man who you're really close to is in the hospital in New Zealand, of COURSE you're going to go give him support.

The headlines look dire, but there's nothing solid to base anything on.

I agree about the family having the cash to make the trip,but my concern is that they did not show prior to this latest not so good news they all show up. Seems as if they're own concern was ratched up for some reason.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
9th May 2006 10:18 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I'm right there with ya!!
9th May 2006 10:19 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch I can understand why you're skeptical of any spin you think the Stones might put on this because of the ongoing tour, but I don't think where something this serious concerned, they'd try and pull the wool over the fans eyes. They know the fans care and are concerned. It sounds more to me like they're being conservative with their information because of the type of injury Keith sustained. If you read anything at all about mild concussions at the beginning of this week, then you know that a blood clot that did not reabsorb or resolve on it's own was a possiblity. It sounds like Keith's doctors have been conservative also.

I think it's totally appropriate with the time difference that Keith's daughters arrived when they did. They probably hopped on the first plane they could get when they were notified there was a complication that would require surgery.

Now we're told the surgery is over...and a success. Keith needs to rest and regain his health. God speed, Keith.
9th May 2006 10:35 PM
PeerQueer To those who are saying this has been more serious than indicated from the outset you are unfortunately, quite right.

Just how serious...I don't know. I have been told that Keith did in fact suffer a mild stroke, to he is very weak and suffering bouts of "considerable disorientation". But this much is clear, both ends of the spectrum, be it mild stroke to bouts of disorientation, he is not happily recovering, or just doing well, as the Stones camp would have you believe. (And I really don't blame them for that -that's their job. They have millions on the line.)My guess is the truth lies somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

I do know the Stones camp is circling the wagons BIG TIME -promotion in Europe is on red alert. If I can get access to some of this info. I know some of you in here already have.

Keith's condition is not critical, but I do believe it is serious. My guess is some of you in here feel that as well, and some of you might even KNOW that to be true.

At the end of the day, I'm not ready for a world w/o Kieth Richards. Fucking hell - - you hang in their Keith.
9th May 2006 10:38 PM
the good I am really starting to get worried about this. I wish I knew what the hell was going on. If he does have brain damage, I would love to know what portion of the brain was damaged and how extensive it is.
9th May 2006 10:41 PM
Soldatti I want to trust on this report.
9th May 2006 11:01 PM
Zulu Fun Mix I don't see how the Stones spokeswoman can rule out brain damage at this point because it could take awhile for brain damage to manifest itself. Even if there is such damage, the brain could, over time, build new pathways around the lesioned area to restore the same (or almost the same) functions. At least this is my understanding of the situation. But Keith would have to start leading a super-healthy lifestyle to maximize the possibilities for a good prognosis.
9th May 2006 11:52 PM
monkey_man The question is: how would they know if he sustained brain damage? I mean Keith has been abusing himself with substances for years, doing untold damage to his brain. Maybe the bump on his head will allow him to play more than 3 of his own tunes for the rest of the tour.
[Edited by monkey_man]
9th May 2006 11:52 PM
voodoopug A mans privacy is at stake here, nothing will be released until it absolutely has to be released. Do not expect the truth for a long time and out of respect for the man, we should leave it at that and keep him in our thoughts.

No one but his close inner circle knows what happend to him and how he is doing.

My sources do tell me that the stones camp is not releasing the full story and really it is not available. These things take time.
10th May 2006 12:01 AM
GotToRollMe quote:

FPM C10 wrote:

quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
I'm right there with ya!!

Count me in.
10th May 2006 12:19 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
A mans privacy is at stake here, nothing will be released until it absolutely has to be released. Do not expect the truth for a long time and out of respect for the man, we should leave it at that and keep him in our thoughts.

No one but his close inner circle knows what happend to him and how he is doing.

My sources do tell me that the stones camp is not releasing the full story and really it is not available. These things take time.

Pug, I am curious - who are your sources? I have friendly aquaintances in the entertainment biz - low level stuff - a former longtime radio producer who was pretty successful during grunge era - got me backstage during Voodoo Lounge which was surreal,he still has many aquaintances in the local media who he gets insider tidbits from, a friend who works at the Virgin office in LA, a guy who promotes shows in Vancouver B.C. and knows several promotions contacts in Europe, etc.

They have all been getting several versions of the story, but the constant thread is that the injury sustained was far more serious than initially being relayed in the media, though not as serious as the "Keith near death" crap that was circulating shortly thereafter.

Two nights ago I was told Keith had actually suffered a mild stroke from one of those sources who is not prone to idle gossip and has been spot on a number of times over the years regarding various Stones rumors, and I was floored - actually very depressed and saddened. Now I just don't know...

I just want to see Keith smiling and waiving again - I am with Pdog - I don't care if he ever tours again. I just want the man to be better.
10th May 2006 12:29 AM
Riffhard Well I have sources too. And they ain't saying shit at present. It's a wait and see attitude from what I gather. However,my true sources are a little something I like to refer to as common sense,and that tells me that it was far more serious than we have led to believe. On another thread Soldatti stated that according to The Sun in the UK not only are Keith's kids and Patti by his side,but so to is Anita. If this is true then common sense dictates that there is far more to this than meets the eye. I hope and pray that I'm wrong here,but if Anita is at his bedside too that cannot be a positive sign. It may all be a crock of shite,and I hope it is,but the truth is that we are purely speculating at this point.

Riffy
10th May 2006 12:31 AM
Poison Dart Didn't he walk into the hospital on his own? If that's the case how bad could he be?
10th May 2006 12:37 AM
Daethgod isnt this the same Fran who said that Keith had left the hospital and was back in the US ?

[Edited by Daethgod]
10th May 2006 12:39 AM
Daethgod this from Chicgao Tribune
Originally posted: May 3, 2006
Falling Stone

Apparently we should disregard reports - such as this one posted Wednesday on the MTV UK site - that Keith Richards has suffered a hemorrhage and must return to the hospital to have blood drained from his brain.

I called Rolling Stones spokeswoman Fran Curtis about the reports Wednesday morning, and she told me the Stones guitarist is in fine shape.

"He’s out of the hospital," she said. "His manager spoke to him last night. He’s doing well."

Richards was flown to a New Zealand hospital last week after reportedly falling from a palm tree in Fiji while vacationing. Fellow Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood also was said to be up the tree; Australian and New Zealand newspapers reported the pair was reaching for coconuts.

One paper also reported that, improbably enough, after the fall Richards had gotten aboard a Jet Ski and had another accident.

The band’s representatives have declined to provide any details about the injury. But Curtis said Richards is in good enough shape that the Stones still plan to kick off a world tour in Barcelona on May 27.

"Everything’s on schedule," she said.

Whew.

This has been a tough story because first and foremost, you don’t want anything to be wrong with the guy and you hope he recovers quickly.

But…falling out of a palm tree? After all of the well-documented self-medication that his body has endured, it’s almost as if he just had to come up with a novel way to tempt fate again.

In a few years we’ll probably be reading this story: "Keith Richards was stomped on by an elephant today…but he’s OK."

As for Wood’s presence in the tree, my theory is that Ronnie was doing most of the work while Richards just looked cool.
10th May 2006 12:42 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Didn't he walk into the hospital on his own? If that's the case how bad could he be?

Yes he did,and hopefully all this talk is much ado about nothing,but head injuries are a funny thing. One can go from walking and talking one minute to seriously ill the next. My concern is all about the family's apparent rush to NZ after the original news was,"all is well". Then that changed,and then it changed again. So there are conflicting reports to say the least. Now there are reports that Anita is also in NZ. So the question is,why? It's the whole trying to read between the lines bit that has me concerned. Seems like all the news is intentionally vague. Am I the only one sensing this? Perhaps I am reading too much into these conflicting reports? I certainly hope that's the case!

Riffy
10th May 2006 12:45 AM
Daethgod i reckon we start worrying a bit if the band start arriving in NZ
10th May 2006 12:50 AM
Zulu Fun Mix Fran Curtis only says what Mick orders her to say. If Mick tells her to lie, she will lie.
10th May 2006 01:01 AM
Poplar
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
i reckon we start worrying a bit if the band start arriving in NZ

Agreed. My thoughts:
The "hospitalized after coconut tree fall" story was ridiculous. The band would never allow such a story out, even if it were true. Worse, the fact that there was a hospitalization at all was cause for alarm alone. I hate to say it, but my first thought upon hearing the news was "shit - he had a stroke." Also, the look on Anita's face and his those of his daughters also scares the shit out of me. They don't look to be there for support. My sense is that they are there because the situation may potentially be grave. I don't feel i'm being alarmist, it's just my gut feeling from what we know so far as fact - not the PR nonsense which i find kind of shamefull. Fran's already been busted in a few lies about all this.

Sorry i've been away fo so long. Glad y'all are still here, cause i need some folks to talk to about this. I'm gonna crack a bottle of wine, and some Stones.

Poplar
[Edited by Poplar]
10th May 2006 02:27 AM
Bloozehound fuck that shit he's good
10th May 2006 02:51 AM
The Wick
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
i reckon we start worrying a bit if the band start arriving in NZ

Exactly, until then, I think things are obviously not great but better than most fear. Why would they have postponed the tour indefinitely if he was in imminent danger? Let's just hope for the best, there are only a few original people left in this world.
10th May 2006 02:53 AM
FotiniD Well, I was a little worried too when I heard Angela, Marlon and Theo and Alex flew in - but to be honest, when you can (more than) afford the trip and your father's in the hospital recovering from a brain operation, what are you gonna do, sit in the other side of the ocean and wait it out? It IS serious one way or another - it's not like his had his tonsils taken out. So if I was his daughter, yes, I'd be by his side too and I wouldn't look exactly happy either. It's only natural. I don't think this adds anything to how serious it is.

Where did the Anita reports come from? Do we have an article?

Also, the whole coconut tree. Do you think that if they had to come up with an excuse, they would come up with such a RIDICULOUS excuse? I mean, it sounds too crazy to be made-up... Couldn't they just say he tripped and fell, or got dizzy and fell or something like that? Why use the coconut?
10th May 2006 03:23 AM
PeerQueer Fuck this shit!

I was told a few minutes ago that the pics of Keith walking into the hospital were when he first arrived in NZ and that the situation has worsened sometime after that.

I also asked if it was so serious why the band wasn't there. I was told, and I quote, "You better hope the band don't start flying in because that means it has become life and death. Right now Stones Inc. will keep it very close to the vest for the sake of the tour dollars. If they stop doing that, that means Keith is really in a bad way. This is promotion 101 - keep it as positive as possible until the last possible moment."

I'm kinda freakin' out now. Can someone please give us some definitive good news! I'm not talking to my sources anymore, they just give me more negative shit.

Fuck this shit!
10th May 2006 03:28 AM
FotiniD
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Fuck this shit!

I was told a few minutes ago that the pics of Keith walking into the hospital were when he first arrived in NZ and that the situation has worsened sometime after that.

Wait a minute - who told you the pics were older? I mean, if that was the case, don't you think the media WOULD take advantage of that?! And we're talking about the Sun here. Wouldn't the Sun have started the whole sensationalist "he's gotten worse since" story? Why lie about the date the photos were shot?
10th May 2006 03:39 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Well, I was a little worried too when I heard Angela, Marlon and Theo and Alex flew in - but to be honest, when you can (more than) afford the trip and your father's in the hospital recovering from a brain operation, what are you gonna do, sit in the other side of the ocean and wait it out? It IS serious one way or another - it's not like his had his tonsils taken out. So if I was his daughter, yes, I'd be by his side too and I wouldn't look exactly happy either. It's only natural. I don't think this adds anything to how serious it is.

Yes, exactly my thoughts Fotini!!! It doesn't mean anything serious necessarily. They would have come if he'd been there with a broken leg as well I'm sure.

I believe many reports get distorted and taken for truth, as is the case with all reports. The thing is, this simple procedure he has had done, is a very common and mild one, so we shouldn't overreact. Then again, it's the brain we're atlking about, so that's always tricky, especially with a guy in less than perfect shape.

We just don't know, we'll have to wait and see. i for one am convinced he'll be ok, even if they have to start the tour in July.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)