ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Congratulations Keef: Cleared and back to rock!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Europe tour "delayed until June" ! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
8th May 2006 07:57 AM
Daethgod so says NME

Keith Richards has brain operation
The Rolling Stones postpone Euro tour

The Rolling Stones have been forced to postpone their European tour after guitarist Keith Richards underwent brain surgery this morning (May 8).

The band were due to start their 'A Bigger Bang' tour in Barcelona on May 27, but have put the dates back to June to allow Richards time to recuperate following a fall.

A spokesperson for the band issued the following statement:

"Keith Richards underwent surgery this morning at The Ascot Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand. The operation was a complete success and Keith is already up and talking with his family today. He will need a few weeks recuperation.

"Last week Keith was under observation in Auckland following a fall in Fiji and was feeling well after being examined by doctors last week, however after complaining of headaches yesterday doctors thought it prudent to move ahead with a small operation to remove the pressure. The Rolling Stones' 'A Bigger Bang' European tour goes ahead and will now start in June 2006.

"Full details of the re-scheduling of the tour will be announced shortly."

Richards fell out of a tree on April 27 while holidaying in Fiji.

http://www.nme.com/news/rolling-stones/23006
8th May 2006 07:58 AM
Daethgod BBC report it too

Stones guitarist has head surgery
Keith Richards
Richards fell from a tree while on holiday in Fiji
Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has undergone surgery in Auckland, New Zealand, after a fall in Fiji.

The operation was a "complete success" and Richards is up and talking with his family, said a statement from the band.

It said doctors decided to perform a "small operation" to remove pressure after Richards complained of headaches.

Richards, 62, was flown to New Zealand after reportedly falling out of a coconut tree. He was officially said to have suffered "mild concussion".

Headaches

The band management said that Richards was feeling well after being examined by doctors at the Ascot Hospital last week.

"However after complaining of headaches yesterday doctors thought it prudent to move ahead with a small operation to remove the pressure," it said.

The operation took place on Monday morning.

Before the official statement, media speculation had continued about Richards's head injury, the BBC's Greg Ward in Auckland said.

A newspaper in New Zealand had reported that Richards may have suffered a subdural haematoma, a blood clot on his brain.

The New Zealand Herald newspaper said that doctors at one stage feared for his life.

The band's management had denied earlier reports that Richards had suffered a brain haemorrhage.

It said the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang European tour would be going ahead and will now start in June 2006 - but could not confirm that Richards would be on stage for the first show.

The 35-date tour had previously been scheduled to start in Barcelona on 27 May and end in Cardiff on 29 August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4983890.stm
8th May 2006 08:02 AM
Factory Girl http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/07/richards.reut/index.html
8th May 2006 08:09 AM
FotiniD So the operation went through after all. Glad to hear Keith's feeling better already and talking with his family and all.

At this stage I don't care at all about the tour, all I can ask for is for Keith to recuperate 100%.
8th May 2006 08:12 AM
gimmekeef This thread should be called.."delayed"..not postponed....Glad to hear Keith is okay!!!!!!!!!!!!
8th May 2006 08:15 AM
LadyJane Delay is no surprise to me.

Agree with Fotini...Keith's full recovery is my utmost concern.

Gold rings on ya!!

LJ.
8th May 2006 08:15 AM
Gazza Indeed. The main thing is that all's well with Keith

Bummer for those who have tickets for the affected shows, but hopefully everyone can see the bigger picture here

At least theres a few gaps in the schedule where they can rearrange those gigs, if it turns out to only be a small number.
8th May 2006 08:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
This thread should be called.."delayed"..not postponed....Glad to hear Keith is okay!!!!!!!!!!!!

thread re-named.
8th May 2006 08:27 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
At this stage I don't care at all about the tour, all I can ask for is for Keith to recuperate 100%.

Yeah , completely agreed with you, Fotini
Fabio
Italy
8th May 2006 09:01 AM
FotiniD Someone at Shidoobee posted the Ascot's e-mail address:

[email protected]

so that we could send our "Get well"'s. I don't know if he'll get the e-mails or not, but it's worth a shot.
8th May 2006 09:43 AM
Monkey Woman Totally agree with Gazza and Fotini: the main thing is that Keith gets well!
8th May 2006 09:58 AM
LadyJane one more from yahoo news.

Keith Richards Has Head Surgery

LONDON - Keith Richards had surgery Monday in New Zealand to relieve pressure in his head following a fall, his representative said.

The Rolling Stones guitarist was "up and talking" soon after surgery at The Ascot Hospital in Auckland, but was expected to take several weeks to recuperate, LD Communications said Monday in a statement issued in London.

"Last week Keith was under observation in Auckland following a fall in Fiji and was feeling well after being examined by doctors last week," the statement said. "However after complaining of headaches yesterday, doctors thought it prudent to move ahead with a small operation to remove the pressure."

The Stones' "A Bigger Bang European" tour, which was scheduled to start in Barcelona, Spain, later this month, will be postponed until June, the agency said.

Richards, 62, suffered the injury April 27, but details have not been confirmed. News reports have variously claimed that he fell out of a palm tree or from a jet ski.

LJ.
8th May 2006 10:02 AM
egon that's good news for keef!

unfortunately i don't think i can go and see them
if the reschedule the show to june.
8th May 2006 10:24 AM
jb
quote:
egon wrotehttp://www.novogate.com/boards/register.php?boardid=968
register:
that's good news for keef!

unfortunately i don't think i can go and see them
if the reschedule the show to june.

Hopefully Keith will improve as will Holland sales.
8th May 2006 10:35 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

These are why the large guarantees are in place and the tour is insured for a substantial amount
8th May 2006 10:41 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

I'm sure this gives them the "out" they've been looking for to drop scheduled dates with less than stellar sales.

hope thats not the case for the fans that bought tix, but it will be interesting to see what dates the band deems 'unable to reschedule due to scheduling conflicts...."

my bets are on the slow sellers
8th May 2006 10:42 AM
jb True...and beleive me, that is why these multi-million dollar tours all have large insurance binders...I read that Mick is livid over Keith's actions as this could, I repeat could, cost them millions if the tour is cancelled(which I do not beleive will occur).
[Edited by jb]
8th May 2006 10:48 AM
Joey " I read that Mick is livid over Keith's actions as this could, I repeat could, cost them millions if the tour is cancelled(which I do not beleive will occur). "

I am visibly shaken to the core and quite stirred to sadness .
8th May 2006 10:51 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:

JB, you're a glorious mercenary!
8th May 2006 10:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I'm sure this gives them the "out" they've been looking for to drop scheduled dates with less than stellar sales.

hope thats not the case for the fans that bought tix, but it will be interesting to see what dates the band deems 'unable to reschedule due to scheduling conflicts...."

my bets are on the slow sellers

wouldnt be the first time thats happened either
8th May 2006 11:07 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Very good points!!!!
8th May 2006 11:08 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Oustanding Postin'

UNBELIEVABLE Postin'
8th May 2006 07:25 PM
Soldatti It's like 1998 again...
8th May 2006 07:30 PM
Gazza this time it'll be worse
8th May 2006 08:14 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
this time it'll be worse

Probably the most logical decision would be to scrap the European Leg of the tour altogether , give Keef three to four months rest , and then hit the states HARD once again this fall .

All Agree ?!?!

Thought So !!!!!!

JACKY ....

Jacky .. Jacky .. Jacky !!!!!

Jacky ®

8th May 2006 08:18 PM
LadyJane Gazza and all Euro fans.....I'm so so sorry for you guys/gals.

I have a VERY strong feeling in my heart and soul that YOU WILL see the Stones again. Even if, God forbid, the entire Tour is cancelled, they'll be back.

Time for a drink. It's been a stressful day.

LJ.
8th May 2006 08:36 PM
Gazza Oh, I know that if they postpone the whole tour, they'll reschedule - but that it wont be this year if thats the case.

I'm just a bit discouraged by comments from people with a good grasp of medical matters who say that this kind of injury takes months to heal rather than weeks. So, to be honest if thats whats going to happen I wish the Stones management would put us out of our misery - but I'm still clinging to some hope its something more minor.

A Spanish news site has stated the 2 opening shows are being rescheduled for "mid June", which is something that isnt quite the same as the official announcement - and which if true would mean other shows for that month being rescheduled to accommodate them. A logistical nightmare all round
[Edited by Gazza]
8th May 2006 08:46 PM
LadyJane I agree completely Gazza.

I worked in Pediatric Neurosurgery for 7 years and it's all about "wait and see".

I suspect within the next couple of weeks the Stones management will likely make a decision.....perhaps the best idea may be to postpone the entire leg.

It sounds harsh...but it might be the best for the patient and the fans.

All this for a goddamn coconut!!!!!!!

LJ.
8th May 2006 08:56 PM
pdog I'm hoping Keith will be okay. I could give a rats ass if they ever play live again...
8th May 2006 08:57 PM
glencar Man, this is bad news! Never drink & climb palm trees!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)