ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Palazzo del Ghiaccio, Milano, Italia - 8 Aprile del 1967
© Giovanni Liverani with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Solo recordings kill the Stones legacy Return to archive
8th May 2007 10:11 AM
Capt Rollins First post. If you took the best of the Stones solo recordings and either made a solid Stones cd out of the songs with the whole band and/or eliminated a lot of the subpar material(think the last four songs on ABB) from their latter day (90's-00's), their body of work would be signifigantly better and arguably up to snuff with all of their earlier with the exception of the big four.
Consider a cd of, in no particular order:

-Take it so Hard(Mick vocals)
-Wicked as it Seems
-Locked Away
-Half a Loaf
-Lucky in Love
-Yap Yap
-Demon
-Struggle
-You Don't Move Me
-Too Far Gone
-Sweet Thing
-God Gave Me Everything
And think about elmininating half of Undercover, half Of Dirty Work, a third of Steel Wheels, last four on ABB
8th May 2007 10:38 AM
Lord Homosex Yes I have thought about this too. When people talk about how their writing has dried up since the glory days I do not agree at all. They just put it on the solo albums. Keith produced 2 albums of topnotch, TOPNOTCH material. Jagger has ammassed 4 soloalbums and one soundtrack plus other odds and ends. Many excellent songs; especially on the last two albums. And the ohtres are just produced badly.
But even within the Stones confines there has been much excellent writing. They have lousy producers, or absence of producers. Voodoo was the top example. They put out almost a double album's worth of cleaned up, much subpar stuff and letf the rest unreleased or for B sides.
Voodoo with Love is Strong, The Worst, Jump on top of Me, Moon is Up, So Young, Out of Tears, I go Wild, Thru and Thru, Brand New Car, Baby Break it down, Zip Mouth Angel would have been beautiful.
Steel Wheels was ready but then someone came in and remixed it all and castrated the whole album before release.
So the writing is there. they need guidance. I know they think they know it all but thye sure could use a boss.
8th May 2007 10:49 AM
Captain Thesaurus
quote:
Capt Rollins wrote:
First post. If you took the best of the Stones solo recordings and either made a solid Stones cd out of the songs with the whole band and/or eliminated a lot of the subpar material(think the last four songs on ABB) from their latter day (90's-00's), their body of work would be signifigantly better and arguably up to snuff with all of their earlier with the exception of the big four.
Consider a cd of, in no particular order:

-Take it so Hard(Mick vocals)
-Wicked as it Seems
-Locked Away
-Half a Loaf
-Lucky in Love
-Yap Yap
-Demon
-Struggle
-You Don't Move Me
-Too Far Gone
-Sweet Thing
-God Gave Me Everything
And think about elmininating half of Undercover, half Of Dirty Work, a third of Steel Wheels, last four on ABB

You are:

Sharp-eyed
Alert
Attentive
Watchful
Vigilant
on the ball
wide awake
perceptive
inattentive (antonym)

Thank you.
8th May 2007 10:51 AM
Saint Sway fun concept.

but poor song selection. Esp Half a Loaf and Lucky In Love - which are worst than anything on most Stones albums (except ABB - which is really just another bad Mick solo record with a Stones tongue sticker slapped on it for marketing purposes)

I'd work off of these

Take It So Hard
Struggle
I Could Of Stood You Up
You Dont Move Me
How I Wish
Whip It Up
Locked Away
Eileen
Runnin Too Deep
Party Doll
Kow Tow
Evening Gown
God Gave Me Everything
Wired All Night
Demon
Rockawhile

I excluded Hate It When You Leave, Could Of Stood You Up and Wicked As It Seems because they've sort of already re-did these songs on Voodoo Lounge - Love Is Strong (WAIS), Baby Break It Down (HIWYL), Mean Disposition (COSYU)
8th May 2007 10:53 AM
Nellcote They are all "cousins" as Keith has said many times.
Don't fret, enjoy the ride...
8th May 2007 10:58 AM
gimmekeef Their legacy is quite safe regardless what is said or forgotten about solo stuff....
8th May 2007 08:05 PM
Soldatti Main Offender and Wandering Spirit are better than anything since Dirty Work. Evening Gown and Hate It When You Leave are better than anything since Tattoo You.
8th May 2007 08:39 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Their legacy is quite safe regardless what is said or forgotten about solo stuff....

Their legacy would be safe if they released nothing else than what's on the London Years singles collection, which we tend to take for granted because of what followed. Everything else is gravy.
8th May 2007 10:04 PM
pdog Shit happens...
8th May 2007 10:14 PM
Poison Dart I agree there is too much solo stuff out there. It has hurt the Stones quality of work + their output (2 studio records in 10 years sucks)

I couldn't imagine anyone on vocals for "Take it so Hard" but Keith.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
9th May 2007 10:14 AM
Lord Homosex Don't see the similarity of :Hate it when you leave" and "Baby break it down"; not at all.
9th May 2007 10:29 AM
Throwaway Same # of syllables, stress on same syllables..similar R&B feel. Hate it When You Leave is a bit more Motown, BBID is more Keithified.
9th May 2007 11:59 PM
glencar I'm seeing way too many ballads on these proposed lists.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)