ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Palazzo del Ghiaccio, Milano, Italia - 8 Aprile del 1967
© Giovanni Liverani with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New BRMC Album (NSC) Return to archive
30th April 2007 07:19 PM
_Boomy_ I'm really liking the new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album.

There's a few indie record stores in my town, and they will always put out some albums a day early. I walked in looking for it and found one.

They still have some elements of "Howl" thrown in, but these guys are truly rocking on this one.

One track that is standing out for me at the moment is "Berlin".

Rock and Roll On.
30th April 2007 07:28 PM
fireontheplatter never ever heard of them
30th April 2007 07:29 PM
Mel Belli I liked "Howl" better the first time -- when it was called "Beggars Banquet."
30th April 2007 07:34 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I liked "Howl" better the first time -- when it was called "Beggars Banquet."

I liked "Mel Belli" better the first time -- when it was called "sandrew".
[Edited by _Boomy_]
30th April 2007 07:54 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I liked "Howl" better the first time -- when it was called "Beggars Banquet."

What a load of bullshit. These guys have recorded four albums in a span of 6-7 years. I would venture to say they have there own style.

The Stones -- for the first 6-7 years -- released how much music? And how much of it were covers? Yes, they recorded great songs in their own right, but how could you say the above statement being a Stones fan? I'm a Stones fan and I think it's rubbish.

So maybe they were inspired by some accoustic country-ish stuff around the time. All bands are inspired when they are recording. The only conclusion I can make is that both albums have lots of accoustic guitars. That's it.
30th April 2007 07:54 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

I liked "Mel Belli" better the first time -- when it was called "sandrew".
[Edited by _Boomy_]

Before your time!
30th April 2007 08:05 PM
pdog I will buy this on boomy's rec. alone.
30th April 2007 08:35 PM
ExileIzzy Which album should I try first
30th April 2007 08:38 PM
pdog buy the new one, and if you like it, try others....
30th April 2007 08:45 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Before your time!

Yes. I did join Rocks Off in June 2002 as "Boomhauer".

The good ol' days...
30th April 2007 09:02 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Yes. I did join Rocks Off in June 2002 as "Boomhauer".

The good ol' days...

The year of the Strokes. Where the hell did they disappear to?
30th April 2007 09:05 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

You'll have to ask Factory Girl. She's a big fan.
30th April 2007 09:21 PM
pdog
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

They put out a great album in early 2006...
30th April 2007 09:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:

They put out a great album in early 2006...

I never heard it. Came and went like a blip. If you recommend it, I'll give it a try.
30th April 2007 09:44 PM
pdog
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I never heard it. Came and went like a blip. If you recommend it, I'll give it a try.

Mist of the music I like never blips... The Strokes are cool, not my favorite band, I like this album. It's more produced than the other albums, but not over produced... Pretty rocking, if you like the other albums you'll like first impressions of earth... probably find it used and cheap too!
1st May 2007 03:05 AM
ExileIzzy I'm diggin' the debut album
1st May 2007 05:04 AM
speedfreakjive its really good, as are all the other albums
1st May 2007 05:11 AM
thejuf saw BRMC at Paradiso, Amsterdam , two years ago.
my eardrums got damaged.... heard a beep for a week or so...
but recommended! the first album is different from the second.
1st May 2007 05:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man I loved them back in the day when the whole American indie/rock scene was cool. Their first two albuyms were great and they are excellent live. I haven't really bothered with them for a few years though. I've read good reviews for the new release however, so may check it out. I am personally far more looking forward to hearing the new Manic Street Preachers album though and of course, I'm still yet to here the new Arctic Monkeys.
1st May 2007 09:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot I understand what Mel is saying.

BRMC's "Howl" covered no new ground.

But so what?

I really LIKE the ground that BRMC chose to be trod upon. It's good, solid ground.

Look, the medium that is Rock n Roll is 50+ years old. And as a medium, it is fairly limited. The stuff that works still works. There really isn't any "new" ground left to cover. So IMO, if there is nowhere "new" to go...go somewhere that is good.

I guess what I'm saying is that if they gotta sound like something else...they have no choice about that...I'm damn glad that what BRMC picked to sound like, was something that I really like and enjoy.

I don't place a lot of emphasis on originality. Everybody "new" sounds like someone else. So if they do the "original" justice, then I'm down with it. It makes me happy when a newer artist picks something that I really dig...to be influenced by, or emmulate.

1st May 2007 09:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man I've never really thought about BRMC not having an original sound. I thoght they were pretty stand alone at the time. For me it was their moodiness and the leather jackeks. It was all about the leather. I'm not 18 any more though and am a little harder to impress.

That was really a good little period of music 2001-2003. The Strokes, BRMC, The Datsuns, The Vines, The Libertines, Yeah Yeah, Yeahs. That was the period when I followed current music the most. Now I only tend to like the popular stuff. Killers, Arctic Monkeys etc. The NME was my music bible back then.
1st May 2007 10:37 AM
Saint Sway been giving it my 1st listen this morning. They are back to rocking. Lots of infectious tunes. Good stuff so far.

Howl was cool - but I tired of it. Ready again for some shows
1st May 2007 11:48 AM
Lord Homosex Anyone getting into BRMC I would suggest "Howl". Especially since you are coming from Stones country. "Howl" is by far their best; the acoustic, ambitious one. It is a bit too long. The first two are also very good. With the great hit "Whatever happened to our rockn roll".
But "Baby81" I have to say isa letdown. I am a big BRMC fan and hate to say that. But Peter and the brothers went back to eletric; which is fine. But they really had found a new path - for them. It could have led places. This new album feels like a step backwards to me.
1st May 2007 12:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot See, I was looking forward to BRMC getting back to the electric "Tsunami of Guitar" sound.

I prefer a tidal wave of distorted guitars to chiming acoustics.

So it sounds like the new one is gonna be right up my alley. I'm heading to the record store tonight to pick up a copy...
1st May 2007 08:00 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
See, I was looking forward to BRMC getting back to the electric "Tsunami of Guitar" sound.

I prefer a tidal wave of distorted guitars to chiming acoustics.

So it sounds like the new one is gonna be right up my alley. I'm heading to the record store tonight to pick up a copy...

Yep you'll like it SS.. On my second listen now
8th May 2007 03:31 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
They are back to rocking. Lots of infectious tunes. Good stuff so far.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)