ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
from the stage - get ready
© Unknown author with thanks to Irina!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The good the bad & the (yes) ugly Return to archive
May 10th, 2005 02:48 PM
jpenn11 The stuff picked up by mics is different, so here's a view:

The good--they sure came out rocking, the guitars were way up in the mix, not a plink of a piano to be heard, jagger's voice sounded fine (amplified enough to that Lady Liberty needed ear plugs), there seemed to be nice interaction between wood and richard's onstage, wood had a nice thick tone

The bad--the audience seemed to be 1/3 Stones fans and 2/3 U2? fans. It was very quiet around the reflecting pool, and I think Jagger gave up after 3 wooos in BS because there was little reaction from the audience. (Lots of action in the press area though.)

The ugly--the bass sounded out of place

The Juliard Plaza is ringed with buildings constructed of marble or glass. Add a reflecting pool and the sound just reverberated in the enclosed space.

You'll be able to hear the sound soon if you haven't heard it already. Most the flubs were the personal sloppy style we've come to know and adore. I was a little disappointed by the start of Oh No, Not You Again, with its kissed/resist rhymes and familiar "f**king up my life" refrain, but it seemed to get better as they got into the song. Great title. The only surprise was wood's somewhat laid back BS solo.

I skipped the actual press conference, so, if someone has a link to an archived version, please let me know.
May 10th, 2005 04:30 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
The stuff picked up by mics is different, so here's a view:

The good--they sure came out rocking, the guitars were way up in the mix, not a plink of a piano to be heard, jagger's voice sounded fine (amplified enough to that Lady Liberty needed ear plugs), there seemed to be nice interaction between wood and richard's onstage, wood had a nice thick tone

The bad--the audience seemed to be 1/3 Stones fans and 2/3 U2? fans. It was very quiet around the reflecting pool, and I think Jagger gave up after 3 wooos in BS because there was little reaction from the audience. (Lots of action in the press area though.)

The ugly--the bass sounded out of place

The Juliard Plaza is ringed with buildings constructed of marble or glass. Add a reflecting pool and the sound just reverberated in the enclosed space.

You'll be able to hear the sound soon if you haven't heard it already. Most the flubs were the personal sloppy style we've come to know and adore. I was a little disappointed by the start of Oh No, Not You Again, with its kissed/resist rhymes and familiar "f**king up my life" refrain, but it seemed to get better as they got into the song. Great title. The only surprise was wood's somewhat laid back BS solo.

I skipped the actual press conference, so, if someone has a link to an archived version, please let me know.

so you were there..?
May 10th, 2005 04:54 PM
jpenn11 I really had nothing better to do for lunch.

Incidentally, BS came off with a slow tempo like the studio album. I don't recall them playing it this way recently, but haven't listened to a "recent" show in a while.
May 10th, 2005 04:59 PM
BrianJonesForever
The thing is, I was down by the pool and we were yelling back at Mick's 'woos', very, very much so! Maybe he couldn't hear us. It was a strange set up because we couldn't really see the stones at all. I got up on the guardrail(before the security guard yelled at me) and saw Keith and Mick.

They let some people up to the press area, I didn't get there in time, dammit!
May 10th, 2005 05:08 PM
jpenn11 I was back by the tree boxes on the south side of the pool so I could take in the whole crowd and the sound. I didn't realize they would let folks into the "press area". I thought those must have been Julliard students. Too bad, I might have shown up earlier than 1PM. Same for the Avery Fisher Hall rooftop, which also may have been a good view (but probably poor sound). I thought only AFH employees were up there.

May 10th, 2005 05:17 PM
kath gee really sorry for the bad sound. i'll go in your place next time, okay???

oh man!!!! a friend of mine got in and she was just ecstatic!!
May 10th, 2005 05:25 PM
mac_daddy helluva way to spend a lunch break, regardless...

thanks for the details (the live webcast was a letdown)...
May 10th, 2005 05:45 PM
jpenn11
quote:
kath wrote:
gee really sorry for the bad sound. i'll go in your place next time, okay???

oh man!!!! a friend of mine got in and she was just ecstatic!!

No, I heard great sound. I also was standing under a tree in the shade. I should have wrote in my first review: I had a great time. It was one of those moments where, knowing they were playing only three songs, I left shortly after the set so I could relish the memory while it was still fresh.

By the way, mac_daddy, I completely forgot about bringing a camera, but there were video cameras out.

(Still can't understand that bass though. Perhaps you can go in Darryl's place next time, kath.)
May 10th, 2005 05:49 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

By the way, mac_daddy, I completely forgot about bringing a camera, but there were video cameras out.

i understand an AUD could be up possibly as soon as the time i come back from my run (and i am leaving now)...

The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour