ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's Brain Return to archive
8th May 2006 05:12 PM
Zulu Fun Mix New Technology Helps Study of Alcoholism Damage

New innovations in imaging technology have helped alcohol researchers study how alcohol damages internal organs, such as the brain and the liver.

Using computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), researchers are finding direct effects of chronic drinking on the brain and liver, according to a recent National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Alcohol Alert.

Imaging studies have revealed a consistent association between heavy drinking and physical brain damage, even in the absence of other usual symptoms of severe alcoholism -- chronic liver disease or alcohol-induced dementia.

Brain Shrinkage and Alcoholic Behavior

The shrinkage observed seems to be more extensive in the cortex of the frontal lobe, which is believed to be the seat of higher intellectual functions. This shrinkage generally increases with age, at least in men.
Repeated imaging of a group of alcoholics who continued drinking over a 5-year period revealed progressive brain shrinkage that significantly exceeded normal age-related shrinkage. The rate of frontal cortex shrinkage correlates closely with the amount of alcohol consumed.

But this shrinkage has also been observed in deeper brain regions, including brain structures associated with memory, as well as in the cerebellum, which helps regulate coordination and balance.

Reversing the Effects

A key goal of imaging in alcoholism research is to detect changes in specific brain regions that can be correlated with alcohol-related behaviors. Imaging of the cerebellum has linked both shrinkage and decreased blood flow to impaired balance and gait. Such impairment may cause falls among older alcoholics.
Researchers do not agree on the effect this brain shrinkage has on memory loss and problem-solving skills. Some studies show no effect, while others have reported some loss in those skills, associated with alcohol-induced brain shrinkage. However, these effects are usually reversed with alcohol abstinence. Even quitting drinking for 3-4 weeks has shown to reverse the effects on memory loss and problem-solving skills.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/brain/a/aa000425.htm

BEST-CASE SCENARIO: Facing the rather awesome prospect of death--which can scare the shit out of anyone--Keith will now get sober. His brain will recover some of its earlier capacity and, with 6 months of convalescent time on his hands, he will write and develop numerous high-quality songs. His motivation to write will be stimulated by a determination to prove that he's not dead yet. Then we'll get another new album and it will be good.
8th May 2006 05:15 PM
voodoopug Lets be honest here folks...Keith will not quit drinking or smoking.
8th May 2006 05:23 PM
Some Guy BEST-CASE SCENARIO: Facing the rather awesome prospect of death--which can scare the shit out of anyone--Keith will now get sober. His brain will recover some of its earlier capacity and, with 6 months of convalescent time on his hands, he will write and develop numerous high-quality songs. His motivation to write will be stimulated by a determination to prove that he's not dead yet. Then we'll get another new album and it will be good.

WORD!
8th May 2006 05:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
BEST-CASE SCENARIO: Facing the rather awesome prospect of death--which can scare the shit out of anyone--Keith will now get sober. His brain will recover some of its earlier capacity and, with 6 months of convalescent time on his hands, he will write and develop numerous high-quality songs. His motivation to write will be stimulated by a determination to prove that he's not dead yet. Then we'll get another new album and it will be good.

WORD!

unfortunately not reality....does anyone think this is the first...or even the tenth time Keith has stared Death in the face?
8th May 2006 05:35 PM
Some Guy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

unfortunately not reality....does anyone think this is the first...or even the tenth time Keith has stared Death in the face?

Bands I despise:
U2
U2 Tribute Bands
Macca
WIngs Tribute Bands
Monkees
all Rap (post Run DMC)
Bon Jovi
Rich Sambora tribute bands

KISS?
8th May 2006 05:36 PM
Zulu Fun Mix He's 62 years old and looks 75. He just fell out of a tree and had to get a hole drilled into his brain to have the leaking blood removed. He's stuck in a hospital room a long way from home because he can't get on a plane since the cabin pressure might cause another intra-cranial "event." He isn't drinking in the hospital (stupid press reports notwithstanding) and so might already be at his soberest point in years. He's bound to be lying there clear-headedly sizing up his situation and might well conclude that it's time for a fundamental change.
8th May 2006 05:37 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:
He's 62 years old and looks 75. He just fell out of a tree and had to get a hole drilled into his brain to have the leaking blood removed. He's stuck in a hospital room a long way from home because he can't get on a plane since the cabin pressure might cause another intra-cranial "event." He isn't drinking in the hospital (stupid press reports notwithstanding) and so might already be at his soberest point in years. He's bound to be lying there clear-headedly sizing up his situation and might well conclude that it's time for a fundamental change.

wrap it up?
8th May 2006 05:38 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:
He's 62 years old and looks 75. He just fell out of a tree and had to get a hole drilled into his brain to have the leaking blood removed. He's stuck in a hospital room a long way from home because he can't get on a plane since the cabin pressure might cause another intra-cranial "event." He isn't drinking in the hospital (stupid press reports notwithstanding) and so might already be at his soberest point in years. He's bound to be lying there clear-headedly sizing up his situation and might well conclude that it's time for a fundamental change.

_________

Or going through withdrawal that could kill him...

(see: Garcia)
8th May 2006 05:40 PM
Zulu Fun Mix He wouldn't want to wrap it up because that would mean yielding to the death-force. He can only live and prove he's living by asserting his creativity.
8th May 2006 05:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Bands I despise:
U2
U2 Tribute Bands
Macca
WIngs Tribute Bands
Monkees
all Rap (post Run DMC)
Bon Jovi

KISS?

I am no fan of KISS...I do respect how they were able to market themselves and become a very profitable/popular band when there were plenty of other bands out there with much more talent! I would not attend a KISS concert.

Please note, the list is not complete, just with the bands that most irritate me.
8th May 2006 05:45 PM
Some Guy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I am no fan of KISS...I do respect how they were able to market themselves and become a very profitable/popular band when there were plenty of other bands out there with much more talent! I would not attend a KISS concert.

Please note, the list is not complete, just with the bands that most irritate me.

Bands I despise:
U2
U2 Tribute Bands
Macca
WIngs Tribute Bands
Monkees
all Rap (post Run DMC)
Bon Jovi

I guess it was not safe to assume you were a huge Wham fan back in the day?
8th May 2006 05:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Bands I despise:
U2
U2 Tribute Bands
Macca
WIngs Tribute Bands
Monkees
all Rap (post Run DMC)
Bon Jovi

I guess it was not safe to assume you were a huge Wham fan back in the day?

I was about 8 years old during that era....Michael Jackson was still a black man at that point!
8th May 2006 06:33 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:

quoted for truth.

well said.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
8th May 2006 09:30 PM
lotsajizz I believe they call it "a moment of clarity"

about time

8th May 2006 11:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I believe they call it "a moment of clarity"

about time

Sadly, I beleive that Keith feels he has to live up to his image and any moment of clarity will be erased when he gets out of the hospital and says "Damn it..I'm Keith Fucking Richards"
8th May 2006 11:56 PM
pdog
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, I beleive that Keith feels he has to live up to his image and any moment of clarity will be erased when he gets out of the hospital and says "Damn it..I'm Keith Fucking Richards"

True!
9th May 2006 12:02 AM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:

True!

Brotha, I tell it like it is, and do not make any adjustments to accomodate feelings....The truth need be spoken!

Did anyone see that Fisher Scientific was purchased by THermo Electron Corp today...this is major news in my business!
9th May 2006 12:42 AM
jb Oh my god, we got blown out tonight by th e nets..just home...humiliating..I would love to do anal on Beyonce who we saw....
9th May 2006 12:43 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Oh my god, we got blown out tonight by th e nets..just home...humiliating..I would love to do anal on Beyonce who we saw....

The Heat (see Wade) humiliated the Bulls.
9th May 2006 06:06 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Bands I despise:

Monkees

Eat my ass. And I mean that in the lovingest way possible.

I fucking love the Monkees. They made some great fucking music.

It is my sincerest hope that Keith lives forever. I honestyl don't know what I'll do what he passes away, if ever. Geezus fucking christ, that makes me sad...
9th May 2006 06:07 AM
Child of the Moon PS - Jerry Garcia is still a fucking god. Amen.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)