ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's brain surgery Return to archive
7th May 2006 04:48 PM
Zulu Fun Mix *New Zealand Herald*
8 May 2006
Keith Richards had brain surgery in NZ
By Anne Beston

Ageing rock wild man Keith Richards is understood to have had surgery for a blood clot on his brain and doctors were worried he would not survive.

The Herald understands the 62-year-old's condition was much more serious than previously reported and he remains in New Zealand while the rest of the Rolling Stones are gathered in Europe for the next leg of the band's world tour.

The operation was for a subdural haematoma, a blood clot that forms in the outer membranes of the brain, often from a torn vein. It can be caused by a fall or other head injury.

The operation on the famed guitarist was done soon after he arrived in New Zealand from Fiji, according to a source.

His condition was described at the time as a mild concussion.

Earlier reports that Richards had suffered a brain haemorrhage were denied by his New York-based publicist, Fran Curtis. She said over the weekend that he was in "good spirits" and was adamant he would join the rest of the band in Barcelona for the kick-off of the 35-gig tour as scheduled on May 27. She did not know when he would be leaving New Zealand.

Richards was thought to have tumbled out of a coconut tree at the exclusive Wakaya Club resort in Fiji on April 27.

Yesterday, the New Zealand-based publicist for the Stones' April tour said she had no news on Richards' condition and had had no update from New York.

A spokesman for Auckland's Ascot Hospital said early last week that the guitarist had been discharged after being monitored but would not say whether he had had surgery. A duty manager at the hospital said yesterday she could give no information.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=204&ObjectID=10380757
7th May 2006 05:01 PM
Dick Bush A little bit of your karma for the great man, right now.

http://www.keithrichards.com/300/149.wmv
7th May 2006 05:43 PM
the good I don't know what to believe about this story anymore.
7th May 2006 05:50 PM
WeepingDandelion I think we won't be able to know the truth until May 27th.
Anyway I hope this story isn't true...
7th May 2006 07:04 PM
JaggerLips I wish we knew the truth about this story, too many conflicting reports. I won't believe anything until I see Keith Richards on tv being his normal Keef self!

LOVE TO YOU KEEF!
7th May 2006 07:04 PM
danielharris627 Worried he might not survive? :S
7th May 2006 07:12 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
danielharris627 wrote:
Worried he might not survive? :S

Keef is the ultimate survivor, won't be surprised if he dies in his late 80s or early 90s peacefully in his sleep.
7th May 2006 08:47 PM
gotdablouse Still better news than if he'd had a stroke as this cover up story sounded like to me at one point...we shall see.
8th May 2006 12:13 AM
Turd OnThe Run
I'm sad right now.

I hope and pray Keith gets better quick!

I fear there will be a delay to the European tour, and even the possibility of a total cancelation of all dates.
Thankfully I have seen several Bigger Bang shows in the USA, and they were all great!

But the bottom line is that Keith needs to get well soon.

8th May 2006 03:08 AM
FotiniD To be honest, if the story's true, it makes more sense. Like mentioned at Shidoobee, I too think that if he did undergo the operation, this happened in the first week he was at Ascot. Seems more logical.

What bothers me is the incredible secrecy that surrounds news. I'm sure it's got to do with the tickets, but man! They (spokepersons and management) could at least handle it more professionally than they do.
8th May 2006 07:05 AM
corgi37 The fact he hasnt done a press conference, or any of the band for that matter, is pretty worrying.

At least he can relax knowing Bill sold some spoons and forks to send some flowers over.
8th May 2006 08:47 AM
FPM C10 from the BBC:

Stones guitarist has head surgery

Richards fell from a tree while on holiday in Fiji
Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has undergone surgery in Auckland, New Zealand, after a fall in Fiji.
The operation was a "complete success" and Richards is up and talking with his family, said a statement from the band.

It said doctors decided to perform a "small operation" to remove pressure after Richards complained of headaches.

Richards, 62, was flown to New Zealand after reportedly falling out of a coconut tree. He was officially said to have suffered "mild concussion".

Headaches

The band management said that Richards was feeling well after being examined by doctors at the Ascot Hospital last week.

"However after complaining of headaches yesterday doctors thought it prudent to move ahead with a small operation to remove the pressure," it said.

The operation took place on Monday morning.

Before the official statement, media speculation had continued about Richards's head injury, the BBC's Greg Ward in Auckland said.

A newspaper in New Zealand had reported that Richards may have suffered a subdural haematoma, a blood clot on his brain.

The New Zealand Herald newspaper said that doctors at one stage feared for his life.

The band's management had denied earlier reports that Richards had suffered a brain haemorrhage.

It said the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang European tour would be going ahead and will now start in June 2006 - but could not confirm that Richards would be on stage for the first show.

The 35-date tour had previously been scheduled to start in Barcelona on 27 May and end in Cardiff on 29 August.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)