ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Titanic's Last American Survivor, 99, Dies (NSC) Return to archive
7th May 2006 04:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Titanic's Last American Survivor, 99, Dies
By ANDREW RYAN, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Lillian Gertrud Asplund, the last American survivor of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, has died, a funeral home said Sunday. She was 99.

Asplund, who was just 5 years old, lost her father and three brothers — including a fraternal twin — when the "practically unsinkable" ship went down in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg.

She died Saturday at her home in Shrewsbury, said Ronald E. Johnson, vice president of the Nordgren Memorial Chapel in Worcester, Mass.

"She went to sleep peacefully," he said.

Asplund's mother, Selma, and another brother, Felix, who was 3, also survived the Titanic sinking in the early morning of April 15, 1912.

Asplund was the last Titanic survivor with actual memories of the sinking, but she shunned publicity and rarely spoke about the events.

At least two other survivors are living, but they were too young to have memories of the disaster. Barbara Joyce West Dainton of Truro, England, was 10 months old and Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean of Southampton, England, was 2 months old.

The Asplund family had boarded the ship in Southampton, England, as third-class passengers on their way back to Worcester from their ancestral homeland, Sweden, where they had spent several years.

Asplund's mother described the sinking in an interview with the Worcester Telegram & Gazette newspaper shortly after she and her two children arrived in the city.

Selma Asplund said the family went to the Titanic's upper deck after the ship struck the iceberg.

"I could see the icebergs for a great distance around ... It was cold and the little ones were cuddling close to one another and trying to keep from under the feet of the many excited people ... My little girl, Lillie, accompanied me, and my husband said 'Go ahead, we will get into one of the other boats.' He smiled as he said it."

Because they lost all of their possessions and money, the city of Worcester held a fundraiser and a benefit concert that together brought in about $2,000 for the surviving Asplunds.

Lillian Asplund never married and worked at secretarial jobs in the Worcester area most of her life. She retired early to care for her mother, who was described as having never gotten over the tragedy.

Selma Asplund died on the 52nd anniversary of the sinking in 1964 at age 91. Felix Asplund died on March 1, 1983, at age 73.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday, Johnson said.

7th May 2006 07:23 PM
glencar The 2 remaining survivors were infants when it happened.
7th May 2006 11:24 PM
Bloozehound 99

Wow!

She might have even been old enough to remember the days when the Stones were still worth a shit

[Edited by Bloozehound]
8th May 2006 12:02 AM
the good What they should do to commemorate this is create a massively over budgeted, overblown and overrated hollywood extravaganza that documents the sinking of the ship; the type of movie that chicks drag their boyfriends and husbands to see, that is about 3 hours too long, and that has an ending that every sap already knew before they were forced to endure a form of torture whose cruelty has been unmatched since the roman practice of crucifixion.
8th May 2006 07:32 AM
corgi37 Wonder if he dropped his pendant before he croaked.

I like Titanic. Kate Winslet has fine breasts, and a shiny pelt.
8th May 2006 03:21 PM
PeerQueer The great irony is that she drowned in the tub while Celine Dion played in the background...
8th May 2006 03:39 PM
pdog
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
The great irony is that she drowned in the tub while Celine Dion played in the background...

I'm hoping Keith will be okay. I could give a rats ass if they ever play live again...
8th May 2006 03:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'm hoping Keith will be okay. I could give a rats ass if they ever play live again...

we should all think like this!
8th May 2006 03:43 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Wonder if he dropped his pendant before he croaked.

_________

Yes, Kate is a fantastic talent and at times, stunning. I too am quite fond of a shiny pelt...
8th May 2006 03:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Wonder if he dropped his pendant before he croaked.

Those are some fantastic breasts
8th May 2006 04:30 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Those are some fantastic breasts

Yours - or hers?
8th May 2006 04:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Yours - or hers?

both
8th May 2006 04:41 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

both

Sweet!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)