ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: underrated gems 1983-2006 Return to archive
6th May 2006 07:39 PM
Lethargy I was just taking a shower listening to my typical random mp3 shuffle-play of the entire stones catalog (I need to get out more), and I ended up hearing both Out Of Tears and You Got Me Rocking for the first time in ages. Made me think about all the underrated gems the guys have put out in the past 20 years or so, that are generally unmentioned, even on this great board.

So I offer the following list of "Underrated gems from 1983-2006". Note that generally revered songs aren't on here, b/c the point is underrated gems, not simply gems (like Slipping Away, which is simply sublime, and not underrated b/c most of us adore it):

#10 Out Of Tears - Beautiful. Mick's confessional "I can't pour my heart out to another living thing" is great, as is the piano, and wow, Ronnie's slide solo is sliver-inducing. Damn that guy can do it when really wants to (which is rare unfortunately).

#9 Let Me Down Slow - I don't know what it is about this one: none of the guys particularly shine on this one. The lyrics and song aren't that special. But I think it's just put together so well that the song is greater than the sum of its parts. It just hits a groove with me that makes me smile and sing along every time I hear it.

#8 Continental Drift - Listened to this again recently, and it takes awhile to get kicking, but by the time they get to the nearly-ecstatic Chah-Cha-Cha-Cha...Chah-Cha-Cha-Cha...I just get sucked in and think this is one of their most original creative endeavors.

#7 Might As Well Get Juiced - I thought this was a very
successful experiment in a more modern electronic sound, yet still with harmonica and with all the delirium of Exile. Just all kinds of fun to listen to.

#6 Anybody Seen My Baby - man did I ever hate this when it came out! But a few years later it started to sound okay. And for the last year I'm actually really digging it. This is my pattern, by the way. I'll probably be saying the same thing about more ABB tracks in ten years. The Ronnie solo at the end of the album version (not the horribly truncated forty licks version - anyone want to buy a used copy of that ripoff from Lethargy?) in particular is great.

#5 Break The Spell - awesome. Stones doing classic blues in their own way, just like they did recently with Back Of My Hand.

#4 Hold Back - the most hard rocking the Stones get. The drums and guitars are just amazing, and the lyrics (at the time at least) are quite revealing (I've been climbing this tree of promises for nearly 40 years...Your dreams get broken...etc.)

#3 Gunface - the anger, the rythms, the machine-gun guitars. Just great angst-rock, admittedly played by comfy billionaires (I haven't forgotten that contradiction, but I can let it go), but maybe it's not so unbelievable after all - isn't Keith a gun nut?

#2 Mean Disposition - mick's delivery, the guitars, the drums, the chuck berryesque jamming (especially on the voodoo brew version), awesome.

...drum roll...#1 underrated gem of 1983-2006 is...

#1 You Got Me Rocking - like most people, I grew tired of this over the last several tours, but I forgot how awesome the STUDIO version is. Mick's screaming empassioned voice ("no way to stop me...no way to STOP me!", and Ronnie's awesome slide guitar, make this simply an amazing track. Reminds me of what Ronnie is actually capable of when he's in the right mode. The touring version is of course lifeless like so many other songs of late, but man does this studio version ever blow me away. And for those of you who haven't heard it, the Voodoo BREW version is even better.

6th May 2006 07:41 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I was just taking a shower listening to my typical random mp3 shuffle-play of the entire stones catalog (I need to get out more), and I ended up hearing both Out Of Tears and You Got Me Rocking for the first time in ages. Made me think about all the underrated gems the guys have put out in the past 20 years or so, that are generally unmentioned, even on this great board.

So I offer the following list of "Underrated gems from 1983-2006". Note that generally revered songs aren't on here, b/c the point is underrated gems, not simply gems (like Slipping Away, which is simply sublime, and not underrated b/c most of us adore it):

#10 Out Of Tears - Beautiful. Mick's confessional "I can't pour my heart out to another living thing" is great, as is the piano, and wow, Ronnie's slide solo is sliver-inducing. Damn that guy can do it when really wants to (which is rare unfortunately).

#9 Let Me Down Slow - I don't know what it is about this one: none of the guys particularly shine on this one. The lyrics and song aren't that special. But I think it's just put together so well that the song is greater than the sum of its parts. It just hits a groove with me that makes me smile and sing along every time I hear it.

#8 Continental Drift - Listened to this again recently, and it takes awhile to get kicking, but by the time they get to the nearly-ecstatic Chah-Cha-Cha-Cha...Chah-Cha-Cha-Cha...I just get sucked in and think this is one of their most original creative endeavors.

successful experiment in a more modern electronic sound, yet still with harmonica and with all the delirium of Exile. Just all kinds of fun to listen to.

#6 Anybody Seen My Baby - man did I ever hate this when it came out! But a few years later it started to sound okay. And for the last year I'm actually really digging it. This is my pattern, by the way. I'll probably be saying the same thing about more ABB tracks in ten years. The Ronnie solo at the end of the album version (not the horribly truncated forty licks version - anyone want to buy a used copy of that ripoff from Lethargy?) in particular is great.

#5 Break The Spell - awesome. Stones doing classic blues in their own way, just like they did recently with Back Of My Hand.

#4 Hold Back - the most hard rocking the Stones get. The drums and guitars are just amazing, and the lyrics (at the time at least) are quite revealing (I've been climbing this tree of promises for nearly 40 years...Your dreams get broken...etc.)

#3 Gunface - the anger, the rythms, the machine-gun guitars. Just great angst-rock, admittedly played by comfy billionaires (I haven't forgotten that contradiction, but I can let it go), but maybe it's not so unbelievable after all - isn't Keith a gun nut?

#2 Mean Disposition - mick's delivery, the guitars, the drums, the chuck berryesque jamming (especially on the voodoo brew version), awesome.

#1 You Got Me Rocking - like most people, I grew tired of this over the last several tours, but I forgot how awesome the STUDIO version is. Mick's screaming empassioned voice ("no way to stop me...no way to STOP me!", and Ronnie's awesome slide guitar, make this simply an amazing track. Reminds me of what Ronnie is actually capable of when he's in the right mode. The touring version is of course lifeless like so many other songs of late, but man does this studio version ever blow me away. And for those of you who haven't heard it, the Voodoo BREW version is even better.

I AGREE 100%
6th May 2006 08:37 PM
Gimme Shelter Very cool.
7th May 2006 07:15 AM
lotsajizz It Must Be Hell, Had It With You, Dirty Work, Fight, Hold On To Your Hat, Mean Disposition, I Go Wild, Low Down, GunFace, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, Dangerous Beauty, Driving Too Fast
7th May 2006 07:31 AM
Jumacfly Very interesting post Lethargy.
Lowdown is IMHFO a good gem too.
7th May 2006 07:34 AM
speedfreakjive add Brand New Car IMHO
7th May 2006 08:08 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Nice writing all around, and good choices (quick fact check: Waddy Wachtel does that beautiful little guitar coda on "Baby," not Ronnie). "How Can I Stop" is my No. 1 underrated gem of the last 20 years - I think it's simply one of the best things Keith has ever written, period.

[Edited by Mel Belli]
7th May 2006 08:54 AM
mrhipfl I like all the songs you listed except might as well get juiced. That song is a complete waste. I hate it. It gives me headaches.
7th May 2006 09:03 AM
GotToRollMe Nice list! I think Bridges To Babylon as an album is underrated.
7th May 2006 09:54 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I like all the songs you listed except might as well get juiced. That song is a complete waste. I hate it. It gives me headaches.

You should have been with me at MSG in fifth row when they did it live (only time?) Jan 17/98...was very good!
7th May 2006 10:08 AM
Madafaka
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Nice list! I think Bridges To Babylon as an album is underrated.

I agree!
7th May 2006 10:08 AM
nankerphelge I never much cared for Hold Back, but the rest of the list I agree with.

Pain of Love
Must Be Hell
Pretty Beat Up
Had It With You
Break The Spell
Hold On To Your Hat
Continental Drift
Almost Hear You Sigh
You Got Me Rocking
I Go Wild
Thru and Thru
Mean Disposition
Gunface
Juiced
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh

All good stuff for me...

7th May 2006 12:01 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Nice writing all around, and good choices (quick fact check: Waddy Wachtel does that beautiful little guitar coda on "Baby," not Ronnie). "How Can I Stop" is my No. 1 underrated gem of the last 20 years - I think it's simply one of the best things Keith has ever written, period.

[Edited by Mel Belli]

Figures that was Waddy, not Ronnie. Doesn't really sound like Ronnie's style - I should have known it wasn't him. Thanks for pointing it out.

Keith is absent from the track entirely, from what I recall. Makes this quite a different kind of stones track.

How Can I stop is indeed brilliant. I'm now tempted to replace Let Me Down Slow with How Can I Stop on my original post.
7th May 2006 12:50 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

You should have been with me at MSG in fifth row when they did it live (only time?) Jan 17/98...was very good!

I was a few rows behind you, and it was indeed excellent. I dig the shit out of that song anyway. Great groove. Great vocal.
7th May 2006 12:53 PM
the good All of you are blinded by rainbows.
7th May 2006 01:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Another guilty pleasure. This song rocks so hard, hate the drum sound but Charlie is on fire here.
I like very much the lyrics on the whole DW album.
7th May 2006 02:54 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I was just taking a shower listening to my typical random mp3 shuffle-play of the entire stones catalog (I need to get out more), and I ended up hearing both Out Of Tears and You Got Me Rocking for the first time in ages. Made me think about all the underrated gems the guys have put out in the past 20 years or so, that are generally unmentioned, even on this great board.

Great review!In my humble opinion i just change HOLD BACK for ALL THE WAY DOWN and GUNFACE for LAUGH,I NEARLY DIED.
7th May 2006 07:52 PM
Lethargy
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:
Great review!In my humble opinion i just change HOLD BACK for ALL THE WAY DOWN and GUNFACE for LAUGH,I NEARLY DIED.

LAUGH I Nearly Died is one of my favs of the last 20 years for sure! I excluded it from my list only b/c most people on the board seem to like it already. Hard to measure that ever-changing factor, though. If I thought most people hated this song, thus making it under-rated, it would be in the list for sure.

Great tune. By the way, when I listen to ABB, it usually proceeds as follows:

- Rough Justice - Let Me Down SLow - It Won't Take Long
(skip RFD, SOL)
- Back Of My Hand
(skip She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake)
- Place is Empty, Oh No Not You Again
(skip Dangerous Beauty (snore)
- Laugh I Nearly died
(REPEAT Laugh I Nearly died one or two times - might even be the BEST on the album)
(skip Neocon, Cat Dragged In, Too Fast - the three worst of the album all in a row)
- Infamy (this song sucks too but it's a good way to finish with a Keith album as usual)
7th May 2006 08:06 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

LAUGH I Nearly Died is one of my favs of the last 20 years for sure! I excluded it from my list only b/c most people on the board seem to like it already. Hard to measure that ever-changing factor, though. If I thought most people hated this song, thus making it under-rated, it would be in the list for sure.

Great tune. By the way, when I listen to ABB, it usually proceeds as follows:

- Rough Justice - Let Me Down SLow - It Won't Take Long
(skip RFD, SOL)
- Back Of My Hand
(skip She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake)
- Place is Empty, Oh No Not You Again
(skip Dangerous Beauty (snore)
- Laugh I Nearly died
(REPEAT Laugh I Nearly died one or two times - might even be the BEST on the album)
(skip Neocon, Cat Dragged In, Too Fast - the three worst of the album all in a row)
- Infamy (this song sucks too but it's a good way to finish with a Keith album as usual)

I like SSMC quite a bit, and can even get used to "Streets of Love" if I'm in the right mood. But you're right: If you lop off the last four tracks of ABB, you do no violence to the album.
7th May 2006 08:08 PM
glencar YGMR is not one of my faves, even on CD but I agree with most of teh rest of your list. I'd also drop Hold Back & substitute the title track from that album. Crashing guitars always rock me.
7th May 2006 08:59 PM
gotdablouse Interesting, but to have underrated songs wouldn't we need CLASSICS in the first place for that same period ? lke say "Parachute Woman" vs "Sympathy for the Devil" off BB ;-) I think that other than YGMR, Mean Disposition or Back to Zero, that I particularly don't care for, there are no real "clunkers" during that period, nothing great either unfortunately.

That comment about Waddy Wachtel made me realize once again that what B2B had really going for itself was some decent guitar playing, also WW on SOM, ABB's main problem to me. Strange thing is that his playing was more memorable on th B2B than on Keith's solo albums...maybe Mick's tunes bring out the best in him.
7th May 2006 11:07 PM
mmdog
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Figures that was Waddy, not Ronnie. Doesn't really sound like Ronnie's style - I should have known it wasn't him. Thanks for pointing it out.

Keith is absent from the track entirely, from what I recall. Makes this quite a different kind of stones track.

How Can I stop is indeed brilliant. I'm now tempted to replace Let Me Down Slow with How Can I Stop on my original post.

Great list. However, Richards plays on Anybody Seen My Baby. It was Saint Of Me, he is missing from.
8th May 2006 12:12 AM
Throwaway I'd say Already Over Me is another, the guitar parts are all so tasteful. Other than that, the songs/reasons you guys are saying are pretty spot on.
8th May 2006 07:47 AM
Bruno
You forgot All The Way Down.

Dangerous Beauty is maybe the best song I´ve heard from them in many years.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)