ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the arse - after all it was my head they fixed. Many thanks, kiwis"
Keith after leaving Ascot Hospital today
© 2001 Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review of Springsteen Album (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th April 2006 12:21 AM
Lethargy Bruce is just pathetic, in every way. His bullshit blue-collar spokesman-for-the-downtrodden phony act lost its allure decades ago. Now that he's doing folk covers, it's even more sad.
27th April 2006 04:46 AM
Gazza Good to see the usual suspects have come out of hiding...

I'd love to know when he appointed himself as the 'spokesman' you're talking about. I must have missed that one.

and yeah..when you think about it being phony, I guess its almost as authentic as a group of white English billionaires playing music written by dirt poor blacks in the Deep South or Mick prancing about pretending he's Lucifer...

Hardly important, eh?
[Edited by Gazza]
27th April 2006 07:08 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Good to see the usual suspects have come out of hiding...

I'd love to know when he appointed himself as the 'spokesman' you're talking about. I must have missed that one.

and yeah..when you think about it being phony, I guess its almost as authentic as a group of white English billionaires playing music written by dirt poor blacks in the Deep South or Mick prancing about pretending he's Lucifer...

Hardly important, eh?
[Edited by Gazza]

Well, you have a point about The english billionaires thing, although that's hardly unique to the Stones. You're still right, though.

With Bruce, however, it's way over the top, b/c his entire raison d'etre is the blue collar / left wing victim thing. His lyrics, his act, his music, his embarassing rhetoric when he actually attempts to speak (yes, I know Keith Richards sounds like more of a retard when he speaks, but Keith isn't a self-righteous politico pontificating about the issues of the day - he's just a musician and knows it). It's all pathetic.
27th April 2006 08:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
With Bruce, however, it's way over the top, b/c his entire raison d'etre is the blue collar / left wing victim thing.

Disagree 100%, mate. but each to their own. The whole notion of someone like Bruce Springsteen being considered "left wing" as defined by anyone outside the most extremely paranoid Republican right in the US is pretty fucking laughable, quite frankly.

I'd consider the likes of Steve Earle a left wing or political artist. Springsteen has barely touched on politics in his entire career. Please feel free to list the "left wing" songs that he's composed to date.

and this "spokesman for the downtrodden" is a media creation,, not his own. If you can provide a quote where he personally elevated himself to something like that, feel free to do so.

[Edited by Gazza]
27th April 2006 08:57 PM
PartyDoll MEG Like Bruce in your signature Gazza!!

I'm not even gonna comment on above criticism of Bruce. Negative commentary isn't gonna change my love of his music!!!
27th April 2006 09:14 PM
rasputin56
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Well, you have a point about The english billionaires thing, although that's hardly unique to the Stones. You're still right, though.

With Bruce, however, it's way over the top, b/c his entire raison d'etre is the blue collar / left wing victim thing. His lyrics, his act, his music, his embarassing rhetoric when he actually attempts to speak (yes, I know Keith Richards sounds like more of a retard when he speaks, but Keith isn't a self-righteous politico pontificating about the issues of the day - he's just a musician and knows it). It's all pathetic.

You forgot to mention how he shamelessly exploited 9/11 by creating The Rising and also how it was much better when he just let the music do the talking, leaving interpretation up to listener. Instead he jumps on the wagon with that Kerry loser and tells us how to vote in his words and his music. Now, the sumbitch is glorifying a commie, a friggin' commie! WTF is he thinking?! He's dead to me.

No good right wing anti-Bruce rant is complete without it.

BTW, I still wish Ronnie Reagan wasn't a self-righteous politico pontificating about the issues of the day and realized he was just a horrible B-Movie actor who played 2nd fiddle to a monkey.
28th April 2006 07:52 PM
rasputin56 Wow! Listening to one of the rehearsal shows right now (two shows are available if you can spare a Dime). Damn good stuff. I'm hooked.
28th April 2006 09:03 PM
Gazza Downloading them both now - just downloaded the Good Morning America DVD from Tuesday

On Bruce's official site there's a terrific soundboard version of "How can a poor man stand such times and live" from one of the rehearsal shows (www.brucespringsteen.net)

Plus, there'll be an MSN webcast of part of the NOLA show on Sunday night and a special BBC radio broadcast on May 9th (which is also being filmed for TV here). A fun couple of weeks ahead.
4th May 2006 07:34 AM
Nellcote Gazza, have a great time!
You are in for a old fashion American Hootenany,
with a bit of Mrs. McGrath thrown in for measure...
4th May 2006 08:08 AM
Gazza as long as he knows its pronounced "Magraww" :-) (did you notice that the song is set on the '5th of may' which is the date of the Dublin show?)

I've heard some of the shows so far and they sound really excellent.

Cant wait. I have a weekend that could be potentially perfect. Bruce on Friday and then back home in time to see my football team, Linfield, win the Irish Cup on saturday and complete a Grand Slam. I expect my live to be shot to fuck by Sunday. If the football goes to plan, dont expect a review until then...
[Edited by Gazza]
4th May 2006 08:43 AM
Nellcote A great big Johnny Winter "ROCK & ROLL" right back to you.
Yeah, I was listening to the show I attended last night.
What devotion, interest he's playing to these songs.
Not normal for artists to inform all of the history of the cover songs they play, he has stories for all of them.
They moved the Bahston gig to an outdoor venue, which is notoriously bad for many items, however, the show at Asbury was so good I'm going to find a way to overlook this..

ENJOY!!
4th May 2006 04:57 PM
rasputin56 Great Woods (Tweeter Center, whatever) will be pretty good for this show. Doubt they'll have a pit, though. Much better than the split in half Garden from the D&D tour.

Anyways, have a great time Gazza and I look forward to your review.
[Edited by rasputin56]
4th May 2006 05:26 PM
Gazza thanks - I will. In the meantime, you might want to check this out tomorrow

CMT will debut a one-hour documentary special BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: THE SEEGER SESSIONS on Friday, May 5 at 9-10 p.m. ET, featuring content from Springsteen’s new Dual Disc release along with never-before-seen footage including complete performances of “Erie Canal” and “Jacob’s Ladder.” The documentary follows Springsteen into his New Jersey farmhouse where he and an ensemble of musicians gather unrehearsed to create a live album featuring Pete Seeger’s folk melodies as interpreted by Springsteen. Having long credited his musical origins to folk tradition, Springsteen brought together a range of traditional acoustic instruments – banjo, accordion, horns and violin, among others – to record American standards such as “John Henry” and “Shenandoah
4th May 2006 05:30 PM
Nellcote Thanks for the reminder, I almost spaced this.
Went to my daughter's chorus concert today.
They were singing "When The Saints Go Marching In & We Shall Overcome"
I felt right at home...
5th May 2006 08:42 PM
Gazza Just home

Superb show, crowd singing along with every song. Incredible reception for what was basically a new band performing a new show (he only did five of his 'old' songs, with a couple of them coming during the encores) featuring an album thats only been out for ten days. Setlist similar to what the Asbury Park rehearsals were. Show lasted 2 and a quarter hours exactly. 'My city in ruins' was a very moving highlight but the absolute showstopper was the 're-written for New Orleans' cover of 'How can a poor man stand such times and live'. the rest of the older songs he played were reworked and rearranged so radically that they're almost unrecognisable. Only 'my city in ruins' sounded familiar.

The band were very good, although I think there are too many of them (I dont think the show needs FOUR people playing acoustic guitar and singing - as well as three extra backing vocalists)

setlist :

1. Oh Mary Don't You Weep
2. John Henry
3. Johnny 99
4. Old Dan Tucker
5. Eyes On The Prize
6. Jesse James
7. Adam Raised A Cain
8. Erie Canal
9. My Oklahoma Home
10. Mrs McGrath
11. How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live
12. Jacob's Ladder
13. We Shall Overcome
14. Open All Night
15. Pay Me My money down

Encore :

16. My City of Ruins
17. Buffalo Gals
18. You Can Look But You Better Not Touch
19. When The Saints Go Marching In

[Edited by Gazza]
6th May 2006 08:35 AM
speedfreakjive hi Gazza,
I've just bought Springsteen's Greatest Hits, so far I'm loving Hungry Heart and The River.
What would be the most appropriate next album to buy?
6th May 2006 08:45 AM
rasputin56 Well, if you like both of those songs, get The River which is the double album those are from. Darkness on the Edge of Town and Nebraska are also must haves along with Born To Run.

Gazza, sounds like it was a great show!
6th May 2006 09:14 AM
Nellcote Gazza;

Good set list! You got "Cain", how was it?
Is not Jacob's Ladder the show stopper, when he brings out all of the singers to the front? I rather like
the large band, he has them in sync terrifically.
The tall chap, complete left of the stage, is Bruce's
cousin, which you probably caught from the dvd.
The CMT special was much of the dvd, with some extra at the end. 1/2 hour Van Morrisson special immediately after from Pay The Devil, which was a bonus.
8th May 2006 06:18 PM
charlotte thanks for the review and setlist Gazza, somehow I missed this thread over the weekend,I was wondering about the large number of people on stage...
8th May 2006 06:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Gazza;

Good set list! You got "Cain", how was it?
Is not Jacob's Ladder the show stopper, when he brings out all of the singers to the front? I rather like
the large band, he has them in sync terrifically.
The tall chap, complete left of the stage, is Bruce's
cousin, which you probably caught from the dvd.
The CMT special was much of the dvd, with some extra at the end. 1/2 hour Van Morrisson special immediately after from Pay The Devil, which was a bonus.

"Adam raised a cain" sounded more like The Pogues than Bruce Springsteen!!

"Jacobs ladder" was great. I DO think the band were superb, I just think some of them tend to be under-used in a band of that size.

BBC recording in London tomorrow. Its on BBC radio 2 this saturday and on TV the following Friday
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)