ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 5th, 2004 12:20 AM
beer I really like TSMR. Take out 'Sing This Alltogether part 2, and 'Gomper' then put in 'Dandelion' and 'We Love You'. it woulda been way better.
May 5th, 2004 01:20 AM
Zack No, keep Gomper, but ditch the Lantern as well as the filler jam, redo the vocals on On with the Show without the bullhorn, add the two you mentioned, plus Child of the Moon, and you've got a great album.
May 5th, 2004 01:32 AM
Bloozehound I dunno about any of this shoulda, coulda, woulda crap.

The track list is what they wanted, so you have to judge it based on what is, not what is not.

May 5th, 2004 01:43 AM
Taptrick Oddly, I like Ace Frehley's cover of 2,000 Man.

On TSMR I like:
- 2000 Man
- 2000 Light Years From Home
- Citadel
- The Lantern
- Gomper
- sometimes Dandelion

I have found when I just turn on my Jukebox, with 700 Stones tracks, on random - when one of these comes up its a surprisingly fresh change of pace. Especially since I haven't heard them as often as the others.
May 5th, 2004 02:19 AM
beer I did judge the album on what it is. I like the album alot, just the way it is.

I just think it would be even better if the single and b-side from that era were on the LP.
May 5th, 2004 07:01 AM
bez85 I like the album, it's a classic for that time..I agree if they would have added Dandilion, We Love You, and Child of the Moon to it, it would go down as one of their best ever..
May 5th, 2004 08:02 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Noonan McKane wrote:
WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT "THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST"

The fact that it spawned a return to form in Jumpin Jack Flash and Beggars Banquet
May 5th, 2004 08:08 AM
nankerphelge Ain't that the truth!

Beggars is getting played at the nank household today!

May 5th, 2004 08:41 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Oddly, I like Ace Frehley's cover of 2,000 Man.

On TSMR I like:
- 2000 Man
- 2000 Light Years From Home
- Citadel
- The Lantern
- Gomper
- sometimes Dandelion

I have found when I just turn on my Jukebox, with 700 Stones tracks, on random - when one of these comes up its a surprisingly fresh change of pace. Especially since I haven't heard them as often as the others.

i think i mihgt've liked that cover, but the only value that song ever had was its drumbeat - its the most different thing Charlie's ever done by miles, and the drummer from KISS has no concept of rhythm. other than that, I wouldn't have minded it so much as a more 'rock' track

oh yeah, I forgot the top three things that SHOULD'VE been on Satanic Majesties:
Child Of The Moon
We Love You
Dandelion

these three songs plus Rainbow, Lantern, Light Years, Citadel and maybe 2000 Man would've made this one of my favorites, even above Beggers Banquet
[Edited by ResidentMule]
May 5th, 2004 11:01 AM
Noonan McKane Even if they had dropped the abomination that is "Sing This All Together (See How Pish It Sounds) and replaced it with "We Love You/Dandelion", and made it into a kind of compact little psychedelic pop mini-LP, it still would have been one massive waste of tape.
I can't really agree with an earlier remark on this page about "Between The Buttons" being as weak an LP.
Sure, it aint no "Beggars" or "Fingers", but has a very assured, composed pop suss; As well as being much more concise and succinct than "Aftermath". I think the US edition, including "Let's Spend...." and "Ruby..." is better.
May 5th, 2004 02:21 PM
caro
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:
I think rather that TSMR was Mick's idea, just being caught up in the whole "psychedelic" movement, and wanting to stay current. I think that Brian was probably completely and utterly miserable at the time, and if he hated the album, it's probably because of the turmoil he was in at the time. I'm sure that Brian enjoyed cutting "2000 Light Years", and "Gomper." I would think that if ANYBODY hated the album, it would have been Keith. Keith's not exactly a blues purist, but he ain't exactly "experimental" either.

Yeah, that's about how I would have imagined it myself. However, I don't remember Keith being as critical of TSMR as he is of Emotional Rescue, for example... Maybe he just got used to the album over the years.
[Edited by caro]
May 5th, 2004 02:54 PM
Gazza >I can't really agree with an earlier remark on this page about "Between The Buttons" being as weak an LP.

I dont think I actually said it was "as" weak. Rather that compared to what had gone before, it was their weakest effort to date. TSMR was definitely a lot weaker than Buttons (even if the best songs on TSMR - ie 2000 Light Years etc are better than anything on Buttons). Its just that when TSMR is bad - its truly horrible (ie Sing This All Together (See How Pish It Sounds) as you wonderfully describe it)

>Sure, it aint no "Beggars" or "Fingers", but has a very assured, composed pop suss; As well as being much more concise and succinct than "Aftermath".

each to their own I guess. I think "buttons" mostly consists of merely OK,unremarkable but not BAD songs. Its just nothing special. "Aftermath" has gems aplenty. A terrific album. Both versions.

>I think the US edition, including "Let's Spend...." and "Ruby..." is better.

oh without a doubt. But its only two songs different. As I'm a Brit like yourself, I tend to judge the early albums more by the UK versions, as the track listings on the US versions are often different as London Records were playing "catch up" with the UK releases

May 5th, 2004 05:22 PM
stewed & Keefed I really Like TSMR, I agree a couple of songs are a bit weak but all albums have those,but they all fit together to make a great sounding album.Unlike Sgt.Pepper which IMO is a pile of crap.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
Page: 1 2