ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 4th, 2004 03:18 AM
Noonan McKane WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT "THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST"
May 4th, 2004 03:22 AM
Noonan McKane I fully expect to get about a 50% return on: 'the sleeve', with the remaining 50% coming out for "2,000 Light Years From Home", but I could be wrong.
Let's hear ya!
May 4th, 2004 06:49 AM
L&A 1. the sleeve
2. 2,000 Light Years From Home

or maybe...

1. 2,000 Light Years From Home
2. the sleeve

lol
May 4th, 2004 06:53 AM
caro Citadel! Citadel!

Well maybe it's not the best song on the album, but it puts a big grin on my face each time I decide to dig the CD up.

Oh, and two more things :

1-I have a question about Brian and Satanic Majesties... I read almost everywhere that Brian was unhappy with the album, being a blues purist etc. However, I read at least one article (don't remember the author) saying TSMR was actually Brian's idea, since he was always the one who tried out new sounds & new instruments. To me, both those explanations sound likely : I don't doubt Brian didn't like the album when it was finished, but maybe that was because his health (and position in the band) didn't allow him to really work his ideas out? After all, he'd tried out quite a few things in the past that are in the same vein as TSMR : I remember Marianne saying she saw him working on what would become Ruby Tuesday's melody, and he explained he was trying to mix an old medieval song with a Skip James blues... Does anyone have input on this?

2-My old CD player was a bit eccentric, and would sometimes play only one of the stereo channels. It happened once on Gomper : it played only the instrumental part, and since I hadn't listened to the album in a long time, I didn't even notice it. Actually, I thought it sounded slightly better than the complete song.
(Now I'll crawl back into my hole before someone reads this)
May 4th, 2004 07:54 AM
egon if u put it next to dirty work it makes a lovely ensemble
May 4th, 2004 08:55 AM
Main Offender The original sleeve art. It must be worth a lot by now.
May 4th, 2004 12:08 PM
Gazza >WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT "THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST"

1. the fact that they never made another record like it

2. the fact that they knew it was utter shite and totally pretentious and decided to get back to real music soon afterwards, by bringing in Jimmy Miller and cutting the greatest single of their entire career (Jumpin Jack Flash)
[Edited by Gazza]
May 4th, 2004 12:32 PM
dkmonroe
quote:
caro wrote:

1-I have a question about Brian and Satanic Majesties... I read almost everywhere that Brian was unhappy with the album, being a blues purist etc. However, I read at least one article (don't remember the author) saying TSMR was actually Brian's idea, since he was always the one who tried out new sounds & new instruments. To me, both those explanations sound likely : I don't doubt Brian didn't like the album when it was finished, but maybe that was because his health (and position in the band) didn't allow him to really work his ideas out? After all, he'd tried out quite a few things in the past that are in the same vein as TSMR : I remember Marianne saying she saw him working on what would become Ruby Tuesday's melody, and he explained he was trying to mix an old medieval song with a Skip James blues... Does anyone have input on this?

I really don't think that TSMR was Brian's idea. He was way beyond having a leadership position in the band at that time. However, I think that the line that he hated it because it wasn't blues is incorrect also. He supposedly was bored with the guitar at the time and was obsessed with Moroccan music, which turns up on Gomper. I really think that he was into the mellotron - he played in on several songs even before TSMR - and that's hardly a blues instrument.

I think rather that TSMR was Mick's idea, just being caught up in the whole "psychedelic" movement, and wanting to stay current. I think that Brian was probably completely and utterly miserable at the time, and if he hated the album, it's probably because of the turmoil he was in at the time. I'm sure that Brian enjoyed cutting "2000 Light Years", and "Gomper." I would think that if ANYBODY hated the album, it would have been Keith. Keith's not exactly a blues purist, but he ain't exactly "experimental" either.

In retrospect, I think that TSMR is a great album. The only real stinkers are "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)", "On With The Show", and about the last two minutes or so of "Gomper." The only thing that's a Pepper ripoff about TSMR is the cover. The music is in a totally different universe.

And the best thing about it? "The Lantern." One of the Stones' best songs, ever.
May 4th, 2004 01:02 PM
magicwoman everything on their satanic... is the best
May 4th, 2004 01:14 PM
Bloozehound I replaced all my Stones Abkco studio albums with the new sacd versions last year, all except TSMR.

Sometimes when one of these TSMR threads comes up, I get curious and put the album on and I'm quickly reminded of why I never listen to it.

2 best things

1. citadel
2. 2000 light years

the cover art sucks
May 4th, 2004 01:20 PM
jb SMR is what the Beatles failed to do on Sgt. Pepper..this album showed the Stones could beat the beatles at their own game...it is a masterpiece way ahead of it's time and should be considered a classic...sadly, the critics and Beatle fans managed to stymie it with al the propaganda surrounding Sgt. Pepper.
May 4th, 2004 01:42 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
jb wrote:
SMR is what the Beatles failed to do on Sgt. Pepper..this album showed the Stones could beat the beatles at their own game...

hah, good one

#1 The Lantern
#2 2000 Light Years From Home
#3 She's a Rainbow
#4 Citadel

that's about it for the album as far as I'm concerned
May 4th, 2004 03:32 PM
Noonan McKane I've opened a can of worms here.
TSMR is NOT a masterpiece. It's the worst LP The Stones ever cut by miles and miles.
I don't think it was any particular member's "idea" as such, it just sort of happened. They've produced DEMOS, before and since, which are built on sturdier artistic premises.
As has been well documented, the year preceeding it's release was nothing if not turbulent, and as to Brian's like or dislike of it; I don't think the poor bastard knew exactly where he was, never mind what it was he used to do for a living.
Mick has defended this record AND practically disowned it, by turns, over the years; Claiming at one point that it was in "The spirit of the times", and at another that it was a result of spending "Too long in swinging London".
Keith, conversely, has never said all that much about it, one way or the other. It really is pish.
The cover is fantastic. A friend of mine owns a bar in Benidorm, in Spain, and when I visited his bar in Sept., 2002, I was amazed to see an original 3D version PINNED TO THE CEILING! Immediately I demanded he give it to me, and stop being such a dozy, philistine bastard; But he said he'd only do so if I replaced it with an item of similar historical and curiosity value.
Fortunately, my old, tattered octagon sleeved "Through The Past, Darkly" made the nut.....
May 4th, 2004 03:37 PM
Noonan McKane ....Further, a scanned photo of said sleeve constitutes the wallpaper on the desktop of this computer. I still find myself looking at the monitor from different angles, hoping Brian will move......
I'm dizzy that way.
May 4th, 2004 03:39 PM
Noonan McKane ....Glad I finally got that lot dashed off. Now to eat that can of worms.
May 4th, 2004 03:57 PM
scratched
quote:
egon wrote:
if u put it next to dirty work it makes a lovely ensemble

What a contradiction in styles! To me, it seems like the same band CANNOT have made BOTH of these albums, but at the same time it couldn't have been anyone else who made them!
May 4th, 2004 04:01 PM
scratched
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:
The only thing that's a Pepper ripoff about TSMR is the cover. The music is in a totally different universe.

I agree. I hate it when people say it was a rip off. Pepper was more 'vaudeville' and classically influenced while TSMR was more 'cosmic' and more in tune with what 'Frisco' was about.
May 4th, 2004 04:03 PM
scratched
quote:
jb wrote:
SMR is what the Beatles failed to do on Sgt. Pepper..this album showed the Stones could beat the beatles at their own game...it is a masterpiece way ahead of it's time and should be considered a classic...sadly, the critics and Beatle fans managed to stymie it with al the propaganda surrounding Sgt. Pepper.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 4th, 2004 05:35 PM
Gazza >SMR is what the Beatles failed to do on Sgt. Pepper..this album showed the Stones could beat the beatles at their own game...it is a masterpiece way ahead of it's time and should be considered a classic...sadly, the critics and Beatle fans managed to stymie it with al the propaganda surrounding Sgt. Pepper.

you seem to be comparing it directly to Sgt Pepper and then in your last sentence appear to berate critics and fans alike for doing the same thing.

I dont hate it because I see it as some kind of Sgt Pepper rip off (I dont think it is). I hate it for one simple reason - the songs are for the most part pretentious fucking rubbish and not worthy of the Stones' name. They tried to make an album which had no musical connection whatsoever to what made them the band they were/are. And died on their arses in doing so.

In my opinion, there are 3 or 4 good songs on it. However, if I was picking my ten least favourite Stones ever, about half of that "top 10" would be from this album alone. The songs simply aren't there. "Between the Buttons", which came out at the start of the same year was their weakest album to date before this one. TSMR was an even more dramatic dip in quality. But fuck it, 1967 was a tempestuous year for the band in non-musical ways, so a couple of below par albums is hardly worthy of the firing squad.
May 4th, 2004 05:45 PM
Monkey Woman Mick also said something to that effect in According To The Rolling Stones. "We needed a producer to tell us: Enough already! Now go to work!"
In his 1995 long Rolling Stone intw, he also said that they were taking lots of acid and were pretty out of it, thinking that everything they did was great.

There's a few good songs on TSMR. I think everybody will agree that She's A Rainbow and 2,000 Light Years From Home stand out. I would also save from that album 2000 Man and perhaps Citadel.
May 4th, 2004 06:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
I think everybody will agree that She's A Rainbow and 2,000 Light Years From Home stand out.

Yeah. Agreed. That's one of the few Stones records I never owned. Well it may be a bad record for whatever reason. You don't suppose they may have been "high on drugs" when the recorded that? Anyway Rainbow boasts great Piano, it was Stu wasn't it?
May 4th, 2004 06:11 PM
Bloozehound Yeah, the 3rd and 4th best things about TSMR would be

3. She's a Rainbow
4. 2000 Man

Good songs even though they aren't what I like to hear from the Stones.

If the album was good I'd like the silly/campy cover art in the same way I like the Some Girls cover art, but unfortunately the album is mostly sucky.

"Sing this all together" LMFAO!!

[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 4th, 2004 06:22 PM
Mottrush
"Anyway Rainbow boasts great Piano, it was Stu wasn't it? "

I think you'll find it was Nicky Hopkins on this one and most of the other tracks too!

Cheers,

Mottrush

May 4th, 2004 06:36 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Have you ever tried this one on acid or peyote or mushroms?
May 4th, 2004 06:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mottrush wrote:

"Anyway Rainbow boasts great Piano, it was Stu wasn't it? "

I think you'll find it was Nicky Hopkins on this one and most of the other tracks too!

Anyone know for sure on Rainbow? Yeah, Stu was sort of picky on what he played on. Yeah I always liked Nicky's contribution to the band.
May 4th, 2004 07:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Mottrush wrote:

From Nico's cyber-bible http://www.nzentgraf.de

Line-up ‘Sing This All Together’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (flute, brass)/BW
(bass)/CW (perc)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/John Lennon (bvoc)/Paul McCartney
(bvoc)/everyone and it’s dog (perc)
Line-up ‘Citadel’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/BJ (mellotron, brass)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
Nicky Hopkins (harpsichord)
Line-up ‘In Another Land’: MJ (bvoc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (mellotron)/BW (voc,
bass, p, org)/CW (dr)/Nicky Hopkins (harpsichord)/STU (org)/Steve
Marriott (gtr, bvoc)/Ronnie Lane (bvoc)
Line-up ‘2000 Man’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
Nicky Hopkins (org)
Line-up ‘See What Happens’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (flute, brass, mellotron)/
BW (bass)/CW (perc)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/John Lennon (bvoc)/Paul
McCartney (bvoc, perc)/everyone and it’s dog again (perc)
Line-up ‘Cosmic Christmas’ : BW (mellotron)
Line-up ‘She’s A Rainbow’: MJ (voc, perc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (mellotron, perc)/
BW (bass)/CW (dr, perc)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/John Paul Jones (strings
arrangement)
Line-up ‘The Lantern’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (mellotron, brass)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/Nicky Hopkins (p, org)
Line-up ‘Gomper’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BJ (flute, mellotron, sitar)/BW (bass)/
CW (tabla)/Nicky Hopkins (org)
Line-up ‘2000 Light Years...’: MJ (voc, perc)/KR (gtr, bass, bvoc)/BJ (mellotron)/
BW (synth)/CW (dr)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/Eddie Kramer (claves)
Line-up ‘On With The Show’: MJ (voc, perc)/KR (gtr)/BJ (mellotron, harp)/BW
(bass)/CW (dr, perc)/Nicky Hopkins (p)
Note: Cosmic Christmas is an unlisted instrumental, basing on ‘We Wish You A
Merry Christmas’.
Between the tracks In Another Land and 2000 Man we get to hear some
seconds of BW snoring.
May 4th, 2004 08:58 PM
Nellcote All part of the body of work which one associates with
The World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band.
Put it on
Play it LOUD!
This should snap all of the doubts you ever had about it, as well as it's place in history.
Then you will understand why you are totally committed to The Stones in every way.

Ok? Get it?

May 4th, 2004 09:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels OK, it was Nicky Hopkins. Great Piano. Thanks.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
May 4th, 2004 09:17 PM
M.O.W.A.T. TSMR is a good album but it certainly doesn't stand up to albums released before and after it. I kind of like to think of it as the end of the Stones as a pop band and the beginning of the Stones as a rock band.

My faves from this album:

Citadel
2000 Man
She's A Rainbow
2000 Light Years from Home
May 4th, 2004 09:24 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
I kind of like to think of it as the end of the Stones as a pop band and the beginning of the Stones as a rock band.

I like this statement

to bad they ended their pop days on such a bad note

Page: 1 2