ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone from Boston? Return to archive
May 3rd, 2004 03:04 AM
padre I'm going next week to Boston for a week. All I know about the place now is that J.Geils Band comes from there.
Any places I should go to, good record stores, etc...? I checked from www.boston.com for bands playing there, but there was nothing.
May 3rd, 2004 06:57 AM
Nellcote Hey;

Here are a couple of useful resources for you...

http://www.schlockmagazine.com/bostonvinyl.htm

Great listing of all non chain stores in town, as well as Cambridge. I've been to Looney Toones, Cheapo, Smash City which are amoung the best. Nothing like down south, where you are likely to have bands in store though...

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/

Great resource of what is happening in town. They have listings of what is playing at all clubs for 10 days out.
Pretty dead on dining reviews also. Look for listings for gigs @ Avalon, Paradise, Johnny D's in Somerville.
Tweeter Center, outside of town, the summer music shed, does not open until mid May.

Beyond that, you want to walk around Fanueil Hall area, mixed retail/bars/dining, take in either Durgin Park there for authentic Yankee cooking, or nearby Union Oyster House, great raw bar right out front. North End, italian section is my "wicked pissa" tip of the trip, with outstanding dining, great cafes. Have a good time!
May 3rd, 2004 01:15 PM
padre Thank you Nellcote! Excellent tips!
May 3rd, 2004 07:34 PM
mac_daddy hit the Landsdowne St bars (alongside Fenway Park)...

also go to Harvard Sq, and make sure you go into the Boathouse for a few drinks. Shey's is nextdoor, but they only serve beer...

if you wanna go more Bohemian, you can take that Red Line up to Porter SQ and get out. Johhny D's Uptown is a fun place (my buddy used to cook there)...

oh, and I know there are some who will tell you the city's finest institutions for higher learning are over in Cambridge, but don't be fooled. Take the Green Line (B) west until it ends. Get off and have a stroll around that wonderful Chestnut Hill campus that is BC

for shopping, hit Newbury St. (you will find Newbury Comics there, too - which is the best record store in the city)

being that time of the year - go to the Commons and check out the Swan Boats, and then have some dinner in the North End (Italian)...

Skip going to the Cheers bar - it is not even the interior where the show was filmed...

live music - Johhny Ds or the Middle East (near MIT) should hook you up; there also might be someone playing @ Venus de Milo's or Bill's (on Landsdowne)...

see a Sox game @ Fenway if you have the chance (and stop by the Cask for a few pops coming and going, too).

Have fun.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 3rd, 2004 08:40 PM
Lazy Bones
Boston Rob
May 4th, 2004 12:37 AM
Madafaka LOL! That was funny
May 4th, 2004 07:12 AM
quackenbush There are two words you should practice saying before you go to Boston: wicked hardcore.

Those beans I ate were wicked hardcore.
May 4th, 2004 07:30 AM
Nellcote Quackenbush, the two words are:
"WICKED PISSA", which everything is heah in Bahston
wicked hahdcore does not get spoken heah.
Say it again when you are not sure:
"WICKED PISSA"
May 4th, 2004 09:19 AM
CS Boston, MA May 7-16

Fri 05/07/04 Ben Jelen Hard Rock Cafe
Fri 05/07/04 Buffalo Tom Paradise Rock Club
Fri 05/07/04 The Rogers Sisters Paradise Rock Club
Sat 05/08/04 Blondie Avalon
Sat 05/08/04 Avoid One Thing Axis
Sat 05/08/04 Lewis Black Berklee Performance Ctr.
Sat 05/08/04 Addison Groove Project Paradise Rock Club
Sun 05/09/04 Patty Griffin Berklee Performance Ctr.
Mon 05/10/04 Holger Czukay Paradise Rock Club
Tue 05/11/04 The Tubes Feat. Fee Waybill Hard Rock Cafe
Tue 05/11/04 Sloan Paradise Rock Club
Wed 05/12/04 Sondre Lerche Avalon
Thu 05/13/04 Michael Buble Berklee Performance Ctr.
Thu 05/13/04 Dee Dee Bridgewater Sculler's
Fri 05/14/04 Ginuwine FleetBoston Pavilion
Fri 05/14/04 Jump, Little Children Paradise Rock Club
Fri 05/14/04 Lloyd Cole Paradise Rock Club
Fri 05/14/04 The Features Paradise Rock Club
Fri 05/14/04 Dee Dee Bridgewater Sculler's
Fri 05/14/04 Blueprint The Matrix
Fri 05/14/04 Eyedea & Abilities The Matrix
Sat 05/15/04 El Guapo Northeastern University
Sat 05/15/04 The Stills Orpheum Theatre
Sat 05/15/04 The Strokes Orpheum Theatre
Sat 05/15/04 Automato Paradise Rock Club
Sat 05/15/04 Diverse Paradise Rock Club
Sat 05/15/04 Lloyd Cole Paradise Rock Club
Sat 05/15/04 RJD2 Paradise Rock Club
Sun 05/16/04 "Queer As Folk - The Future Of Babylon Tour" Avalon
Sun 05/16/04 DJ Tracy Young Avalon
May 4th, 2004 11:28 AM
padre Thanks guys. I'll be able to see bands from 5/8 to 5/13 so it seems there's not that many interesting bands during that period...hell, Blondie's the only one I even know of that lot!
May 5th, 2004 12:27 AM
Sue
quote:
padre wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll be able to see bands from 5/8 to 5/13 so it seems there's not that many interesting bands during that period...hell, Blondie's the only one I even know of that lot!

Their show will be "Live by Request"

Tue 05/11/04 The Tubes Feat. Fee Waybill Hard Rock Cafe
The Tubes was a funny show, get wasted and go!