ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone down with Dire Staits Return to archive
May 1st, 2004 12:07 AM
Bloozehound i dig these cats

still jam them

anyone else?
May 1st, 2004 01:32 AM
T&A Are they still around? Knopfler still records and performs under his own name...but the Dires?
May 1st, 2004 01:43 AM
Bloozehound Knopfler disbanded decade ago

i like his solo work

but i still love those dire straits albums
May 1st, 2004 02:36 AM
shakedhandswithkeith knopfler canceled last spring his worldtour, because he had an motorbike crash
May 1st, 2004 04:59 AM
mac_daddy yeah - the first few albums were sweet! The red one with "Romeo and Juliet" is an absolute classic (I'm blanking on the name right now)...

I also enjoy Brothers in Arms - when that CD came out, it was when that format had just come into being, and it was THE disc by which to measure a system...

___

do you know that there is a species named after MK..? the folks that found the fossil of this previously undiscovered animal were apparently listening to his solo album alot at the dig site. When you discover a new species, you get to name it - they named it after the finger-pickin' guitarist
May 1st, 2004 05:27 AM
egon got all the albums.

i love love over gold. telegraph road, fantastic song!
May 1st, 2004 10:43 AM
T&A First 3 are still my favorites - but I dig 'em all - Mark's solo stuff too. Tasteful would probably best describe it.
May 1st, 2004 12:04 PM
Taptrick
My favorite I think is titled "Walking In The Wild West End" off the album that had "Sultans of Swing" on it.
[Edited by Taptrick]
May 1st, 2004 12:19 PM
polksalad69 Always liked them casually. Might have a few lps but don't listen to them much. Saw Mark a few years ago, shoulda snuck my recorder in. Oh well.
May 1st, 2004 01:53 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
yeah - the first few albums were sweet! The red one with "Romeo and Juliet" is an absolute classic (I'm blanking on the name right now)...

Making Movies.

I saw Dire Straits 12 years ago. One of the best shows I've seen.
May 1st, 2004 01:55 PM
egon solid live band, though mark is no mick jagger.
May 1st, 2004 03:33 PM
Factory Girl No, i have never liked them, and I'm not going to start now.

That is all.
May 1st, 2004 06:07 PM
Bloozehound The self titled first album is my fav

May 1st, 2004 10:40 PM
Steel Wheels The Dire Straits remind me of my dentist as a child.

And that's not a good thing.
May 1st, 2004 10:56 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
yeah - the first few albums were sweet! The red one with "Romeo and Juliet" is an absolute classic (I'm blanking on the name right now)...

I also enjoy Brothers in Arms - when that CD came out, it was when that format had just come into being, and it was THE disc by which to measure a system...

___

do you know that there is a species named after MK..? the folks that found the fossil of this previously undiscovered animal were apparently listening to his solo album alot at the dig site. When you discover a new species, you get to name it - they named it after the finger-pickin' guitarist

Wow interesting about the fossil.

Mac the album you like is called Making Movies, and yes it's a good one.

Also, interesting about the Brothers in Arms album and what a sweet album it is to listen to on your "system" even today.

They released remastered cd's of all the Dire Straits albums a few years ago, I've thought about buying them, but honestly I don't think mine sound all that shoddy, at least not as bad as the Led Zepplins that I replaced, man those sounded weak when compared to the remasters, but if I do decide to pick them up I would definitely get the first album and Brothers in Arms.
May 1st, 2004 11:05 PM
BILL PERKS THEY SUCK
May 2nd, 2004 04:07 AM
Bloozehound one mans garbage is another mans treasure

speaking of sucking, nothing could suck worse than this grateful dead video i saw the other day

one of their 80's songs, which i had never heard until now. Video took place in a bar with some storks/penguins? (hell I don't recall) and devils

stoopidest fukn thing i've ever seen or heard a classic rock band try to pull off
May 2nd, 2004 04:15 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the info - Making Movies is the one I was thinking of...

BP - kinda harsh, dont you think - the guy has developed a unique guitar style that is instantly recognizeable... that has to count for something...

now that I think of it, Jerry did the same thing (developed a guitar style that is instantly recognizeable, and totally unique). I agree, the band's studio videos kinda sucked - but the Grateful Dead will always remain one of the most accomplished live rock acts EVER (and the current incarnation does NOT count)...
May 2nd, 2004 05:41 AM
mac_daddy Dire Straits
April 1, 1979
The Boarding House, San Francisco CA

Source: SBD > master reel > DAT(s)
Conversion: Tascam DA-20 @ 48.0 kHz > ZA-2 resample to 44.1kHz on the fly > HD using Cool Edit > CDWave > track waves > CD-R master using CDRWin
Extraction: CD-R master > EAC > HD > MKW shorten > .shn

1) Down to the Waterline Intro >

2) Down to the Waterline

3) Six Blade Knife

4) In the Gallery

5) Whats the Matter Baby

6) Water of Love

7) Sultans of Swing

8) Wild West End

9) Eastbound Train
May 2nd, 2004 06:53 AM
stewed & Keefed I agree with Bill,they suck big time.
May 2nd, 2004 07:24 AM
justforyou I disagree with the 'suckers', the first two albums are classics, lyrics hmmmm yeah, but ok. Later on, after the depature of David Knopfler, they seems to go overboard in the arrangements, too many keyboards and not enough two pronged guitar...