ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick is currently in the studio Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
April 30th, 2004 07:53 AM
Monkey Woman ROCKERS OF AGES: Mick Jagger, the Rolling Stone who gathers no moss, has teamed with another veteran, Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, to write songs for the remake of "Alfie" starring Jude Law. Jagger and Stewart are laying down tracks in London's Abbey Road Studio.

(source: Shidoobee)

More about that Jude Law flick:

Title: "What's It All About, Alfie?" (2004)

Comedy directed by Charles Shyer. Remake of Alfie (1966), by Lewis Gilbert, with Michael Caine.

Plot Outline: A cockney womanizer learns the hard way about the dangers of his actions.

To be released this September in the USA, October and November for the rest of the world.

From Imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375173/
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
April 30th, 2004 08:03 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, that's fucking fantastic... get back to Paris and the Stones, Mick!

-tSYX --- Get outta Denver, go go...
April 30th, 2004 08:05 AM
Monkey Woman Yes, it's a bit of a disappointment... Well, for a old pro like Mick, a few lightweight songs for a comedy should take too long! One only hopes...
April 30th, 2004 08:13 AM
egon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
ROCKERS OF AGES: Mick Jagger, the Rolling Stone who gathers no moss, has teamed with another veteran, Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, to write songs for the remake of "Alfie" starring Jude Law.

How about a remake of Goddess in in the doghouse?

How about THAT?
April 30th, 2004 08:15 AM
Monkey Woman I was curious about the original "Alfie" and searched Imdb.com for details. You'll see that it must have held a lot of interest for Mick... and some food for thought!

Plot outline:

"Alfie is the ultimate Ladykiller. He is wonderfully successful with women. He also rarely gets emotionally involved with them. He has a series of reversals in which his health is threatened, he has a child who is adopted by another man, gets a married woman pregnant and must procure an abortion for her, and when he decides to settle down is rejected for a younger man."

A few memorable quotes:

Alfie: "Make a married woman laugh and you're halfway there."

Alfie: "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasures. When it comes to the pain I'm just like any other bloke - I don't want to know."

April 30th, 2004 08:30 AM
Nellcote Jagger & Stewart go back years, I think the Ruthless People soundtrack, along Stewart working on Primitive Cool.
IMO, this is a great sign, and adds fuel to the fire of all four Stones working.
April 30th, 2004 09:11 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
IMO, this is a great sign, and adds fuel to the fire of all four Stones working.

I don't mean to sound silly, but how exactly does it do that?!

What on earth is our Mick doing writing songs with Dave Stewart?! Throw him out for God's sakes and let's lock the Stones in that studio in Paris! We're waiting for a new album you guys!
April 30th, 2004 09:23 AM
jb
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I don't mean to sound silly, but how exactly does it do that?!

What on earth is our Mick doing writing songs with Dave Stewart?! Throw him out for God's sakes and let's lock the Stones in that studio in Paris! We're waiting for a new album you guys!

Agreed..thuis is the worst news I've heard since JT joined them on stage....
April 30th, 2004 09:30 AM
Main Offender Does anyone have solid confirmation that the Stones are really going into the studio? What is the source of that info? Please, not rumor I hope.
April 30th, 2004 09:34 AM
jb These are not rumors ..they have been confirmed by various friends and family members .
April 30th, 2004 09:41 AM
F505 So we can look forward to another Dogshit On The Doormat-album. Great!
April 30th, 2004 09:46 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
So we can look forward to another Dogshit On The Doormat-album. Great!

THe album, particularly, GGME, was a better rocker than they(the Stones) have come up with in ages...
April 30th, 2004 09:49 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:

THe album, particularly, GGME, was a better rocker than they(the Stones) have come up with in ages...

Disagree but it was a close finish
April 30th, 2004 10:17 AM
Nellcote I love these comments. Here's the way I see it...

Pete Townsend works on theatre, solo projects, and literally abandons the WHO to the point that they are a nostalgia act now, and he gets God like status.

Jagger is the brains behind another cash cow extravaganza of a production from 2002-2003 called LICKS, The Stones have a great run of shows, put out some new product. Eahc of them go on their own for some work, to keep their chops in place, and he goes out on a solo bent, and gets crucified for it.

Once the realization comes thru that like all of us, The Stones, collectively and singuarly work on projects to please themselves, won't life be easier? Enjoy the ride, people, and marvel at the fact that they are all still here to put out product. JB, you can light another candle at the Mick Taylor shrine for me....

Tell you what, today when Wacko Jacko is being arraigned, put on "State of Shock" just to get that Jagger vocal.
April 30th, 2004 10:55 AM
F505 Let's put it this way: the Stones are nostalgia for a long, long time. In the last 23 years they've produced not ONE decent album. Their glory days are over. I still enjoy the myth but to be honest: after Tattoo You it was over with the Stones as a creative classic album-producing band. In the seventies you went to the record shop totally excited. A new Stones album was THE event of the year. Nowadays you got to the shop with the thought: let's hope it isn't too bad.
April 30th, 2004 11:03 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
Let's put it this way: the Stones are nostalgia for a long, long time. In the last 23 years they've produced not ONE decent album. Their glory days are over. I still enjoy the myth but to be honest: after Tattoo You it was over with the Stones as a creative classic album-producing band. In the seventies you went to the record shop totally excited. A new Stones album was THE event of the year. Nowadays you got to the shop with the thought: let's hope it isn't too bad.

You speak the truth f505..of course we still love them and they will be the greatest, but after 81, it has been one disappointment after another..VL, I would point out, was an exception..pretty dam good.
April 30th, 2004 11:13 AM
HeyNegrita And Tattoo You was just juiced-up leftovers. So you really have to go back to the Some Girls sessions for the last quality Jagger/Richards compositions.
April 30th, 2004 11:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
F505 wrote:
Let's put it this way: the Stones are nostalgia for a long, long time.

Well maybe. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they're not quite as nostalgia as the Who.
April 30th, 2004 11:20 AM
Snappy McJack Don't you think that Mick's obsessioni with becoming a big solo star kind of ruined the "chemistry"?

I mean, don't you think that if he COULD have became a big star on his own (seems like he was awe-struck with Michael Jackson) he would've ditched the Stones and became another Phil Collins or Sting? I think he would've, but I'm sure he was very disappointed with record sales of his solo efforts.

I think he finally realized that people want to see him singing Stones songs, not solo songs. But...it seems as though that his little "experiment" on his own broke down the close relationship Keith and him had when it came to writing music TOGETHER. They just don't write together anymore -- it's either MY song or HIS song. Ego trippin'.
April 30th, 2004 11:26 AM
jb Yes, that certainly started the personal "riff" in their friendship which obviously in turn effected the creative output. But Keith does not go without blame as MJ kept it together during Keith's heavy drug use days ...when Keith finally "woke up" he resented MJ's control of the band....but this was by necessity and perhaps not by choice.
[Edited by jb]
April 30th, 2004 11:29 AM
Snappy McJack Yeah, I guess you are right. Maybe at that time Mick got tired with all of the fighting and babysitting and wanted to experiment with something new.

April 30th, 2004 11:36 AM
jb My mailman Tom came in the other day and I showed him the dvd I received from CF....he unsolicitedly\states "Ron Fucking Wood..what a poseur, the guy doesn't even play the guitar".....I could not have said it better.....
April 30th, 2004 11:40 AM
Nellcote I must be on the wrong web site.
I must still be the only obsessed fan here.
Let The Stones issue anything, collectively or singularly, to me, it IS the event of the year.

April 30th, 2004 11:41 AM
F505 I think Ron is a disaster for the last 20 years. He completely lost it.
April 30th, 2004 11:41 AM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I must be on the wrong web site.
I must still be the only obsessed fan here.
Let The Stones issue anything, collectively or singularly, to me, it IS the event of the year.

Mark my words, the red Sox will lose when it counts.
April 30th, 2004 11:42 AM
LadyJane No Nelly..you AREN'T alone. I feel the exact same way!!

I look forward to the next release and tour with much excitement.

LJ.
April 30th, 2004 11:44 AM
jb [quote]LadyJane wrote:
No Nelly..you AREN'T alone. I feel the exact same way!!

I look forward to the next release and tour with much excitement.

LJ.
Indeed, you are not alone.http://www.alighthouse.com/alone.htm

April 30th, 2004 11:45 AM
Steel Wheels Mick,

Get with Ron, Charlie, Darryl, and Keith and make some music that matters.
April 30th, 2004 11:45 AM
Snappy McJack No, I think that a fan of a band can and will state what he or she truthfully thinks about a band instead of acting like a sheep (no offense, Ben Gurion) that will say (or "baaaah") "Hey, anything and everything this band has done is A+ material, cheese-nuts!!"

And I'm also looking forward to a new album -- but damn, I'm not going to say that it will be great just because the Stones are doing it. Maybe afer a few listens I can judge that perception, but not before they've even entered a studio.

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
April 30th, 2004 11:47 AM
F505
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Mick,

Get with Ron, Charlie, Darryl, and Keith and make some music that matters.

Let's face it: that will never happen again
[Edited by F505]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5