ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What about Chuck Berry? Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 28th, 2004 01:17 PM
Jumpinjackflash59 I have an opportunity to see Chuck Berry in France at the end of june. I am very enthousiastic, it will be the first time, I love him and he is a legend, and I know he's a kind of hero for Keith. But because I love him, I wouldn't like to be dissapointed. I mean, the guy is 78. Does he still rock? What do you think? Did some of you see him in the last few years?

April 28th, 2004 01:49 PM
jb He is a very bitter man who eats shit.
April 28th, 2004 02:39 PM
F505 Just don't go.... He is a profiteer nowadays. You may be lucky if his "concert" will last half an hour
April 28th, 2004 02:43 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
Just don't go.... He is a profiteer nowadays. You may be lucky if his "concert" will last half an hour

Aren't they all?
April 28th, 2004 02:53 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:

Aren't they all?

as a matter of fact: yes! But i prefer profiteers who play at least 2 hours without constantly saying how great they are while their glory days are more than 45 years ago
April 28th, 2004 02:56 PM
gypsy I'd go see him. Don't listen to joshy. He's a bitter young man.
April 28th, 2004 03:05 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I'd go see him. Don't listen to joshy. He's a bitter young man.

Gypsy .....................................

I watch you sit and twitching
With a Match between your teeth;
You seem to have a knack of moving it
It's in time to the Beat .

Face Dances Tonight ................
Fate Chances Moonlight ;
Face Dances Tonight .................
Fate Chances Moonlight .

I can't be distracted
By the stuttering of the kids;
I just sit enraptured
By your fluttering eyelids .

Fate Chances Moonlight ;
Fate Chances Moonlight .

I can only stare ;
You make me feel
Like I don't Care ........................

I can only stare ;
You make a me feel

Your skin is fine China
White as Winter Snows ;
Your lips are always shining
Turning Up Your Nose .

Fate Chances Moonlight ;
Fate Chances Moonlight .

I can only stare ;
You make a me feel

" All the Best Joey's have Chinese Eyes Ronnie ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJ. T.

April 28th, 2004 03:14 PM
polksalad69
quote:
F505 wrote:
Just don't go.... He is a profiteer nowadays. You may be lucky if his "concert" will last half an hour

Unfortunately this is true. He'll probably have a local band back him up who he will berate because they did not rehearse. Maybe he puts on a good show in St Louis, then again, maybe not.
April 28th, 2004 03:14 PM
Sleepy Joe Presley
quote:
jb wrote:
Aren't they all?

No, just the "stars."
April 28th, 2004 08:25 PM
stonedinaustralia i saw him 30 years ago - it was great

by all means go - you'll regret it if you don't

even if the show is a trainwreck - which it might be

on the other hand you may catch him on a good night with a good band

the man is a living legend even if some of his purported personal habits and predilections are a little "nasty"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
April 29th, 2004 12:04 AM
Mr Jimmy I f you love the Stones, and you've never seen Chuck, then you're missing out on an important connection. I haven't seen him in many years but who cares if he's getting 'old' because you'll still see and hear a bit of what inspired Mick & Keith so many years ago. And even if the show only lasts half an hour your guaranteed to smile and know that the guy is a crazy bastard... or you must be playing with your own dingaling.
April 29th, 2004 12:14 AM
T&A Of course you go see him. You pay homage. You pay your respects to the father of rock'n'roll. Don't think twice. It doesn't matter if he rocks or just stands there and does nothing. He's Chuck Berry. You go.
April 29th, 2004 08:14 AM
Honky Tonk Man I saw Chuck Berry live in London, a couple of years ago. I managed to get to the front. It was such a great feeling to be just a few feet away from such a legend.

He has a great backing band and it's obvious that he relies on the heavily. He didn't play a great deal of guitar when I saw him, but every now and then he'd let you know the old magic was still there.

He's a cheeky bastard too. He plays his final song while leaving the stage and just disappears!

You will have a blast

Alex
April 29th, 2004 11:18 AM
gotdablouse Saw him in Strabourg, France in '86 or '87 - he was great. I find it hard to believe he hasn't written a single song in what...40 years ?! After writing all these great songs!

Mean old guy for sure, just look at Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll!
April 29th, 2004 12:30 PM
Jumpinjackflash59 Thanks everybody for your advices, I think I will buy the tix tomorrow and go with my wife and my daughter. They are Stones fan too, and have to see the roots.
BY the way, the show is in Vienne (Vienne France and not Vienne Austria), on June 30th, and Ike Turner plays the same night.
April 30th, 2004 08:18 AM
T&A supposedly he was to be working on a new album - that was from a quote of his a year or two ago.

he did a really good album in the late 70's called "Rock It." All new original tunes...worth seeking out.
May 1st, 2004 03:03 PM
WolfgangG @ F505:

You are the bastard, not Chuck Berry! Chuck Berry does not play 30 min, he usually plays 60 min, last year in France he played 75 min, I have seen him play 90 min in 1997. So better check your facts!

He's a legend, still exciting, go to the front you'll feel it!

He does not have a good back-up band, he mainly uses pick-up bands!! He is the driving force!

Rock'n'Roll 'experts' in here, I see!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 03:05 PM
WolfgangG @ F505:

Have you ever heard Chuck Berry saying how great he is?! He never talks about himself!!

You are the shit he eats!!!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 03:07 PM
WolfgangG By the way, Chuck Berry plays 25 shows on 25 days in Europe in June/July 2004!! He travels on his own, he needs no help like a certain great Rock band does!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 03:08 PM
WolfgangG @ Jumpinjackflash59:

Chuck Berry is 77, not 78!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 03:52 PM
F505 I suppose assholes attract assholes
May 1st, 2004 04:05 PM
F505 And now the facts:

I remember a concert on September 4th, 1983, when Chuck Berry was gonna play in the Philips Centre (POC) in Eindhoven. Mac Taple was the support act, and they started their usual set at about eight PM. I think Chuck Berry was supposed to play at around nine, but an hour after that, Chuck hadn't arrived yet, and the crowd was getting quite displeased. It turned out that Berry was held up at Amsterdam Airport, because the Mercedes 230 they arranged for him to drive to Eindhoven wasn't good enough for him. He wanted a type 280 SE, which he felt was more appropriate for a star of his calibre.

Since there was no sight of Chuck at about 10, Mac Taple came back on for another set, trying to keep the audience happy. They started playing all the well known Chuck Berry hits, one after another, and we all just loved it! When Chuck Berry finally arrived at about 11 PM, he couldn't follow Mac Taple's set, not by a long shot. After 25 minutes Berry left the stage leaving the crowd in complete bewilderment. He didn't like the POC and announced he would never ever come back.

May 1st, 2004 04:14 PM
WolfgangG
quote:
F505 wrote:
And now the facts:

I remember a concert on September 4th, 1983, when Chuck Berry was gonna play in the Philips Centre (POC) in Eindhoven. Mac Taple was the support act, and they started their usual set at about eight PM. I think Chuck Berry was supposed to play at around nine, but an hour after that, Chuck hadn't arrived yet, and the crowd was getting quite displeased. It turned out that Berry was held up at Amsterdam Airport, because the Mercedes 230 they arranged for him to drive to Eindhoven wasn't good enough for him. He wanted a type 280 SE, which he felt was more appropriate for a star of his calibre.

Since there was no sight of Chuck at about 10, Mac Taple came back on for another set, trying to keep the audience happy. They started playing all the well known Chuck Berry hits, one after another, and we all just loved it! When Chuck Berry finally arrived at about 11 PM, he couldn't follow Mac Taple's set, not by a long shot. After 25 minutes Berry left the stage leaving the crowd in complete bewilderment. He didn't like the POC and announced he would never ever come back.

When a promoter is too stupid to provide what is stated in the contract, it's not Chuck's fault!! This has nothing got do with claiming himself to be a big star! He never talks about himself! But promoters are often too stupid to fullfill the conditions. And those are not the facts, because the Dutch Promoter was just too dumb. I have seen Chuck Berry 20 times since 1997 and none of his performances was shorter than 60 min.

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 04:18 PM
WolfgangG
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Saw him in Strabourg, France in '86 or '87 - he was great. I find it hard to believe he hasn't written a single song in what...40 years ?! After writing all these great songs!

Mean old guy for sure, just look at Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll!

Chuck Berry has written songs throughout his whole career. But most recorded songs since 1979 remain unissued.

Wolfgang
[Edited by WolfgangG]
May 1st, 2004 04:26 PM
WolfgangG @ F505:

Also, the dude from France was asking about recent shows. Is 1983 recent?

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 04:31 PM
F505 My German friend your worshipping is pathetic. By the way: how did Chucks shit taste? Your tongue must have gone all the way...
May 1st, 2004 04:42 PM
WolfgangG
quote:
F505 wrote:
My German friend your worshipping is pathetic. By the way: how did Chucks shit taste? Your tongue must have gone all the way...

You are pathetic! You can't come up with any proper arguments!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 05:01 PM
F505 Hahaha! You make me laugh. Every right-thinking person will draw his conclusions after reading the story how Chuck behaved in Eindhoven. And don't tell me it was the only concert in his career he blew. Everyone who saw Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll knows Chuck Berry is one of the greatest assholes around.
Thanks to Keith this jubileum concert is still worth while watching.
May 1st, 2004 05:08 PM
WolfgangG
quote:
F505 wrote:
Hahaha! You make me laugh. Every right-thinking person will draw his conclusions after reading the story how Chuck behaved in Eindhoven. And don't tell me it was the only concert in his career he blew. Everyone who saw Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll knows Chuck Berry is one of the greatest assholes around.
Thanks to Keith this jubileum concert is still worth while watching.

Well, I can't remember any negatives scenes from "Hail! Hail! Rock'n'Roll". Please tell me one.

I could as well say that Keith should better stop performing after he fucked up his two solo songs at Olympic Stadium in Munich, Germany. It was a pain in the arse. But I don't because I consider him a great artist.

Show a bit more respect, my friend!

Wolfgang
May 1st, 2004 05:32 PM
WolfgangG Ray Charles and Chuck Berry kiss each other each time they meet.

Little Richard about Chuck Berry: "He's my brother"
Bo Diddley about Chuck Berry: "He's my friend"
Jerry Lee Lewis about Chuck Berry: "He's the 'Hank Williams Of Rock'n'Roll'! Chuck Berry is the greatest!"

Guys like you will never understand!

Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Ray Charles, B.B. King, real legends! They need no big video screen, no light effects to hide!

"So I think this is the last of it, the last of the good days. Soon there'll be a totally new thing. But it won't be the same. Never."
(Little Richard)

Wolfgang
Page: 1 2