ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Dave Stewart, celebrating the release of Honest
© 1991 The Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Can You Convert PAL To NTSC? Return to archive
April 27th, 2004 07:22 PM
Jumping Jack I have the following PAL DVDs that I need to have converted to NTSC. I will send the PAL disk if you will return a NTSC disk.

Lots of great stuff if you can help!

64-69 “Rare Video 1964-1969” (2 DVDs) A- PAL
“BBC Tapes Volume 3” (1 DVD) A- PAL
73 “In Australia ’73 ’95 ‘03” Interviews, live Footage, Promos, Clips (1 DVD) A PAL
76 Germany 76 (private film) C, Sweden 98 TV Special 22 min (Keith Interviews) (1 DVD) A PAL
76 “Pop Scene 76” - Austria 76 TV & “One and Only Rolling Stones” 2002 (1 DVD) A PAL
82 “She’s So Cool” German & BBC TV broadcasts and Wembley 82 Part (1 DVD) A- PAL
82 “Dutch TV 1982” (1 DVD) A- PAL
82 “Die Ersten 20 Jahre” Austrian TV special (1 DVD) A PAL
90 Hannover 5/24 audience shot/a lot of screenshots (1 DVD) C PAL
90 Frankfurt 5/26 audience shot (1 DVD) C PAL
90 Berlin 6/6 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B PAL (won’t copy)
90 Barcelona 6/14 Upgraded Pro Shot (1 DVD) A PAL (best version)
90 “Rolling Over Spain” TV Special & Barcelona Concert 90 (1 DVD) B+ PAL
95 “European Tour 1995” European Premiere, Special Stones 95, Voodoo Stones (1 DVD) A- PAL
94 New Jersey 8/15 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B- PAL
94 Toronto 8/19 Lots of blocked views Aud Shot (1 DVD) B- PAL
94 Oakland 10/28 Audience Shot (1 DVD) C+ PAL
95 “Stones in Tokyo 95”. (KBC-TV) A-, “Duomo” 03/95 Jap TV special 55 min (1 DVD) A- PAL
97 Winnepeg 9/30 quality/shaky (1 DVD) C PAL
98 Barcelona 7/20 Audience Shot - long way away (1 DVD) B- PAL
98 Prague 8/22 Very Shaky Aud Shot left side of stage (2 DVDs) B- PAL
98 Istanbul 9/19 Pro Shot (1 DVD ) A- PAL
“98 -99 TV Reports” (1 DVD) A PAL
“Are You Ready?” 02 Press Conferences, Today Show, 60 Mins (1 DVD) B PAL
02-03 “Welcome To The Stoneage” - Best of RS.Com 02-03 (1 DVD) B PAL
“The Rolling Stones and Solo – The Video Collection” Complete promos 66-02 (5 DVDs) A PAL
“The RS.COM Video Collection” (2 DVDs) A- PAL
“Rolling Stones 90” German - Urban Jungle Europe 7 different TV tour specials (1 DVD) A PAL
MJ “Ned Kelly” 1970 film starring Mick Jagger A- (1 DVD) PAL
MJ “Mick’s Special Mojo” Mick interview on Music Box 1985 (1 DVD) A- PAL
MJ “Goddess In The Doorway” French TV Interview/Live Footage (2 DVDs) A PAL
New Barbarians Live, Knebworth, UK. 11/08/79 Pro-Shot C “Time Again” 82 US TV A- PAL
Keith Richards “Rolling On” Seville 91, SNL 88, Special 88 Keith Rolling On (1 DVD) A- PAL
“IORR By The Balls”, Kilburn 6/14/74, OGW 10/1/74, Juke Box 75 (1 DVD) A- PAL
AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip (Munich official) (1 DVD) A+ PAL
AC/DC Donington 91 Official (1 DVD) A+ PAL
Gram Parsons “Fallen Angel” (1 DVD) A+ PAL
Rod Stewart & The Faces “1971-1972 Clips” (1 DVD) A- PAL
Tina Turner Wembley 2000 official with Lisa Fischer (1 DVD) A+ PAL
The Who “Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970” (1 DVD) A PAL
The Who “Who's Better, Who's Best” great compilation of live songs (1 DVD) A PAL

DVDs Coming (likely PAL):
*New York 10-10-1989 (1 DVD) - poor/average quality
*New York 26-10-1989 (1 DVD) - poor quality - 3 songs missing - shaky
*New York 29-10-1989 (1 DVD) - average/good quality
*Jacksonville 25-11-1989 (1 DVD) - poor quality
*Pittsburgh 29-09-1994 (1 DVD) - average quality - screen shot – missing Intro/Not fade away
Marseille 2003
Hannover 90
“Without Walls” UK TV Special (1990 CH4), (1 DVD) A-
Channel 4 UK show on the Stones as a money making company that reflects more on them as a business rather than a musical act.
“Work 5 Years, 20 Hanging Around” (BBC2 1986), (1 DVD) A-
The 1986 Awards show special from the BBC, nice quotes and footage and awards ceremony
“20 Years On” (Newsnight Special BBC 1982) (1 DVD) A-
Review on the London & Paris 82 shows, filmed in Paris 82 with interviews of Mick & Keith
On TV 90-95 “Blame It On The Stones” (1) very good quality
Mick Jagger – Sky TV Special/SNL ’93 and more (1) very good quality
Stones & Mick Jagger solo on Dutch tv (1) - excellent quality
Atlantic City 19-12-1989 (1) - rebroadcast with 3 songs in 3D - very good/excellent quality
Japan 03 Press Conference
Webster Hall - Superb Quality upgrade
D-Stone Brixton (2 DVD)
April 27th, 2004 08:52 PM
mac_daddy yes - but it is alot of work...

if you want some help, fine - I am happy to help...

but there is no way I can do all of those right away...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
April 28th, 2004 12:53 AM
Diedre Why not just get a PAL-compatible DVD player? I bought one for about 60 bucks (Philips). Most major brands now do the conversion (at least if purchased in the last couple of years), even really cheap ones. The only hang-up is if you have an older TV; I believe the TV also has to be able to handle it. But my TV is a couple of years old and it does it, and cost less than $200. My Stones PAL videos look great. DVDRHelp.com has info about brands (also has hacking codes to make DVD players multiregional).
April 28th, 2004 01:42 AM
marko Indeed,get a dvd player,which can play both,actually its
up to YOUR TV not dvd player.Your TV is too old.
As much as i know,there is no "worldwide" videos for DVD´s.
You must copy it firts onto VHS.In NTSC version,then you can
burn it again onto dvd.Too much work.
April 28th, 2004 05:17 AM
Jumping Jack I could buy a PAL compatible player and in fact they play on my computer. The problem is that to trade PAL format disks in North American requires each trader to buy special equipment which is not reasonable. For that reason PAL disks are very difficult to trade in the states and Canada. NTSC plays fine on machines all over the world and is therefore the format of choice for international trading.

I have had a friend who has done 40-50 conversions in the past for me by running them through his VCR in some fashion, but his equipment is now in the shop.

I know it can be a pain to convert and I was thinking to perhaps send 5 at a time to keep the conversion task manageable and reduce what I need to back up on my computer at any given time. I put a large list up as an enticement to see if I could interest anyone in part of the job. There are some very good quality shows and some others that are not yet in wide circulation.

macdaddy, if you are willing to help to acquire some of these e-mail me at: sfenner1 at bellsouth.net

Thanks.
April 28th, 2004 08:48 AM
mac_daddy yes, I am willing...

but you really want to do this digitally - when you do it through a vcr, you are introducing an analog step into the processing chain, and this degrades quality...

I will send you an email this afternoon, Jumping Jack.
April 28th, 2004 10:57 AM
Ben Gurion You have to keep in mind there are many ways to do the standards conversion, some much better than others - but NTSC is 29.97 frames per second, 525 lines, PAL is 25 fps, with 625 lines per frame. Plus - PAL images are higher resolution, so to go to NTSC you will degrade the quality. There are also issues of movement and sound distortion. And the analog digital issue already mentioned. I'd just trade with people who have multi standard/zone dvd players.
April 28th, 2004 09:39 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Ben Gurion wrote:
You have to keep in mind there are many ways to do the standards conversion, some much better than others - but NTSC is 29.97 frames per second, 525 lines, PAL is 25 fps, with 625 lines per frame. Plus - PAL images are higher resolution, so to go to NTSC you will degrade the quality. There are also issues of movement and sound distortion. And the analog digital issue already mentioned. I'd just trade with people who have multi standard/zone dvd players.

pretty much, Ben...

but if you properly rip the DVD, parse the audio and the video, resize and then re-encode the video (setting the frame rate flags), and then mux the audio and video back again, the difference can be negligble...

doing all of that, however, is a pain in the a$$. I am happy to do this as an on-going project with Jumping Jack (and whoever else is into it), but there is no way I am going to commit to doing that entire list in any short order...

but if there is interest, I am down with the project
April 29th, 2004 05:58 AM
Jumping Jack Want to start with Marseille 03?
April 29th, 2004 01:48 PM
mac_daddy sure...

I am VERY interested in the 70s material you have, as well as the stuff from the 82 European tour. I am personally interested in collecting the material from 1969 - 1982. However, I am happy to work on the later stuff, too, as I know alot of folks are really into that stuff as well...

Jumping Jack, you have PM.

May 1st, 2004 06:00 AM
rocky hi ! is it possible to rip dvd to vhs (i mean record to vhs tape from dvd ?)
and..if i have a tv card in the computer ?can i recorde the dvd,and ripped it onto mpg (vcd) ???? rocky