ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Gracias José Luis - te la sacas mi buen
Sun Bowl, El Paso, Texas - November 3, 1994
© José Luis Velasco with thanks to Rogerriffin
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yes! I'm in! Stones NYC Press Conference!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
May 7th, 2005 09:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Chuck was interviewed a few weeks back as you said. that was before a press conference had been announced this soon.
Now that it has it leads me IMHO to believe that infact the album is for the most part all finished.

eh? The press conference was ALWAYS going to be announced around this time

Its got fuck all to do with the album being finished or not and everything to do with giving enough time to sell tickets

quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Just because we hear about the Stones at times doesn't mean we know what they are doing on a weekly/monthly basis inside out and with whom. Remember, This album started last August.

where have you suddenly unearthed THIS information from?
The only sessions done by any member of the Stones last August was by Charlie.

And they were radiotherapy sessions, not recording sessions.

[Edited by Gazza]
May 7th, 2005 10:29 PM
kath
quote:
And they were radiotherapy sessions, not

a self conscious chuckle from kath.....
May 7th, 2005 11:06 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy You know, I think the Stones have it in for me, holding a press conference in the middle of my Calc final...
May 7th, 2005 11:17 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
You know, I think the Stones have it in for me, holding a press conference in the middle of my Calc final...

xyzzy-welcome back,baby!
May 8th, 2005 02:16 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

xyzzy-welcome back,baby!

Good to be back, Bill.
May 8th, 2005 02:22 AM
gypsy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

I will once again be wearing a very loud shirt. However,the blue Hawaiin as seen it's last press conference I'm afraid. It all depends on where my seats are. As you know last time I sat right next to Albert Maysles in the third row. If I get that close again I will definatly get a shot at another question. My guess is that I will have very good seats as the Virgin rep knows how important this is to me,and he likes me alot. I have bought him many pints so he will hook a brother up for sure! I will give a big shout to RO as well as the Lotus Couch! Can't wait! I will give details as I recieve them. They are being very tight lipped about all the details this time around. I sense something very cool is in the offing with regards to the gimmick aspect of this thing.

Riffhard

Also, it didn't hurt when I told the Virgin rep he could touch my boobs if he would be so kind as to hook you up.
May 8th, 2005 04:01 AM
beer
quote:

Good to be back, Bill.

Welcome back XYZZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For real yo!!

---
May 8th, 2005 05:50 AM
gypsy
quote:
You know, I think the Stones have it in for me, holding a press conference in the middle of my Calc final...

Sorry to hear that. In 1997, I was doing a major internship at one of the busiest hospitals the night the Stones played Owen Field in Norman - right down the street from where I was living at the time. I was very disappointed that I couldn't go see them. But when you're an intern, you're at the bottom of the barrel, and there was no way for me to skip out and go to the concert. I did get home in time to hear a bit of "Gimme Shelter" - just yards from my apartment.

Oh! And I'm fucking glad you're back!
May 8th, 2005 06:58 PM
glencar Welcome back, Savage!
May 8th, 2005 08:23 PM
Angiegirl Ha! News brings back oldies!
Good to 'see' you again Xyzzy!!
May 9th, 2005 01:16 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

eh? The press conference was ALWAYS going to be announced around this time

Its got fuck all to do with the album being finished or not and everything to do with giving enough time to sell tickets

where have you suddenly unearthed THIS information from?
The only sessions done by any member of the Stones last August was by Charlie.

And they were radiotherapy sessions, not recording sessions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gazza,
Mick and Keith got together last August to begin writing the songs. As you already know they were starting on material for this album. Personally, I think they already had some to work on due to the fact they recorded all kinds of places during the Licks tour. I was going by The Rolling Stones Chronicles. It seems fairly accurate except for the Gulliame Tell Studio's bit. Here is the link:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:X_q6Q5sJRtsJ:www.timeisonourside.com/chron9.html+Mick+and+Keith+work+on+recording+in+august+2004&hl=en

You wrote:
"The press conference was ALWAYS going to be announced around this time"

I didn't know anything about a press conference until two weeks ago to be honest. Maybe I was in the dark about it or something but I didn't know anythin until like maybe 10 days ago. Did you?

Charlie wasn't involved until November-December as well as Ron Wood coming in later.

In early March they had the whole entourage recording and that is when the B-3 organ was used. That lasted about a month. In mid April they spent a few weeks on mixing tracks for the album according to sources gathering tid-bits in France and from Sympathy for the Devils fan club before breaking things up 10 days ago for this press conference.
I can't concieve how alot of folks still think this album
is far from finished and it is approaching mid-may?

At this rate, if the album isn't to be finished for another five or six weeks as Chuck Levell said (in which I think he is certainly purposely over-shooting things) The Stones will be cutting it closer to any tour as far as still recording goes in the past 25 years if not ever. I just don't see it.

Ian

May 9th, 2005 03:00 AM
corgi37 There has got to be some rough mixes ready, if not fully ready. Remember the SW announcement? THey played songs on a "boom box". I bet they werent fully completed, and didnt need to be.

But, if the rumours for this announcement are right, then the Stones are gonna play!! So, i would imagine, any finished/unfinished tracks is irrelevant, as they will play the new stuff live to give people a taste.

My guess? The shit is finished, they are just waiting for the right time to get stuff organised. Like, packaging, cover design, lyrics sheets, posters, bonus cd-rom i womens feet.

All the periferal stuff. Did i spell that right?
May 9th, 2005 06:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Gazza,
Mick and Keith got together last August to begin writing the songs. As you already know they were starting on material for this album.".

hardly the same as a recording session. Songs can take years to evolve. Thats like saying the sessions for "Some girls" started in 1975 because Mick and Billy Preston worked on a groove back then that evolved into "Miss you" two years later.

quote:
Personally, I think they already had some to work on due to the fact they recorded all kinds of places during the Licks tour.

as songwriters, the composition of songs is (or should be) an ever evolving process. they could be working individually on the bare bones of songs for years in advance. Its not like they suddenly meet up and write together from scratch.

quote:

You wrote:
"The press conference was ALWAYS going to be announced around this time"

I didn't know anything about a press conference until two weeks ago to be honest. Maybe I was in the dark about it or something but I didn't know anythin until like maybe 10 days ago. Did you?

yes. It was pretty much always going to be in May and probably in the first half of the month. I've pretty much heard and believed that for a few months. I thought it was common knowledge.

quote:
In early March they had the whole entourage recording

I'm not so sure that they were, actually!

quote:
and that is when the B-3 organ was used. That lasted about a month. In mid April they spent a few weeks on mixing tracks for the album according to sources gathering tid-bits in France and from Sympathy for the Devils fan club before breaking things up 10 days ago for this press conference.
I can't concieve how alot of folks still think this album
is far from finished and it is approaching mid-may?

I didnt say its 'far from finished'. I said its not quite finished. My 'conception' is based on what Chuck Leavell said only two weeks ago.

quote:
At this rate, if the album isn't to be finished for another five or six weeks as Chuck Levell said (in which I think he is certainly purposely over-shooting things) The Stones will be cutting it closer to any tour as far as still recording goes in the past 25 years if not ever. I just don't see it.

Hardly a problem. They can still give EMI a release date a few months in advance and if everything is finished by June as it should be its very easy to have a record released in August. Especially as by now they would have basic tracks probably all recorded. Strictly speaking, you could overdub, mix and master an album in a week or two if you wanted to. Anyway, theres plenty of time for the record company to arrange any A&R and promotional work on it. Absolutely no rush. Its not like these people dont know what theyre doing.

May 9th, 2005 07:50 AM
IanBillen Gazza Writes:
"you could overdub, mix and master an album in a week or two if you wanted to."

Sure. If you wanted to. For a basement band or Maybe The White Stripes but as for a Stones project or most any major act that just doesn't happen. Overdub, Mixing, and Mastering for a major band almost never takes that short of a period let alone at The Rolling Stones pace, which is not that speedy in the first place.

I realize your take is that the album is it not complete. I don't think it is totally complete from front to back either. However I have been to other places where folks do not think the album is any where near finished?

My Guess:
This album will be completely finished by this time next month. I think ALL recording, over-dubbing, mixing is totaly finished.

In my eyes:
All that needs done is the mastering, song order (which is part of the mastering process), and artwork.

Of coarse This is just my opinion. I could be wrong. But logically I think that doing the over-dubbs and that sort of thing is very much complete by now.

"Absolutely no rush. Its not like these people dont know what theyre doing."

If the over-dubs and mixing was not yet started they would indeed be fringing on being pressed for time at this point.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
May 9th, 2005 07:53 AM
BILL PERKS THIS CRAP BETWEEN YOU TWO IS GETTING TIRED
May 9th, 2005 08:17 AM
Gazza Then dont read it

Its not my fault.

actually I was about to post "I dont really give a fuck about this - its not important" but you've inspired me to be more annoying

Fancy a fight?
[Edited by Gazza]
May 9th, 2005 08:20 AM
Gazza >In my eyes:
All that needs done is the mastering, song order (which is part of the mastering process), and artwork.

you can master an album in a day. The Stones arent even involved in that.

The Stones dont do the artwork either. You can even have that done before the bloody songs are recorded if you want.

They can do the track selection in five minutes.

they dont even need to be involved in mixing either for that matter, and any band could, if pushed, have that done in a matter of days.

Huge input needed, eh?

[Edited by Gazza]
May 10th, 2005 12:52 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
>In my eyes:

you can master an album in a day. The Stones arent even involved in that.

The Stones dont do the artwork either. You can even have that done before the bloody songs are recorded if you want.

They can do the track selection in five minutes.

they dont even need to be involved in mixing either for that matter, and any band could, if pushed, have that done in a matter of days.

Huge input needed

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mixing for them in days is possible, but not probable.
Then again it does depend on the type of album and how complex it is.

Song selection and arrangement can be more than a simple five minute job. An album should have a flow to it. It should take you on a ride. It will have to be listened to a few times and some-times in several different orders and some-times folks don't agree and then that is when song arrangement holds up progress.

It is OK to disagree here on this board. That is why you have this message board. And you have been right before.

I think how long these matters take truly depend on the type of album it is and how willing the band and the technical crew surrounding them is to work to get it finished right.

That is just it Gazza, we just don't know what type of album this is ya know. This is what makes it exciting and all worth the wild. I am truly more excited tonight about tommorow's festivities than I have been in a long, long, time. Gazza we will get the "skinny" tommorow !!! On everything. Not mixing this or that and what Mick says about a time frame if he does at all. Hell that is meaningless. But what matters is what they have come up with, what it sounds like, what they were trying to create and where they took this album, ....Ahhhhh now that is what truly matters and excites us huh! you know. - - - - Priceless!

*I realize that they are not going to fill us in on everything and they will still keep us guessing alot but
at least we will get somewhat of an idea of what we have
been specualting about in terms of studio Stones on this
brand new album and this tour.

Mr. Ian Billen

[Edited by IanBillen]
May 10th, 2005 04:36 AM
Gazza >It is OK to disagree here on this board. That is why you have this message board. And you have been right before.

And wrong too! Not really that important after all!
May 10th, 2005 07:14 AM
glencar I'll say it again, it's amazing how this album's details haven't leaked out yet. With the others we had track listings & titles.
May 10th, 2005 07:19 AM
Nellcote Hey Izzy, are you legal for getting into Cask & Flagon or Sully's this time around?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour