ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
we're in babies

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When did Keef start removing his sixth string? Return to archive
May 5th, 2005 12:38 PM
Vinyl kills Did he do that to all his guitars that were tuned to open G? His tele and les pauls???

Thank you!
May 5th, 2005 10:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot That's a variation of the open G called "Nashville" tuning. The sixth string just doubles the fifth...so they just take it off. I believe that Gram taught him that one.
May 6th, 2005 07:30 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
That's a variation of the open G called "Nashville" tuning. The sixth string just doubles the fifth...so they just take it off. I believe that Gram taught him that one.

Dear Essessy.....

isn't Nashville tuning the one which every string is tuned one octave higher, but all strings? I agree that the 6th tuned in D is one octave down of the 4th string.
May 6th, 2005 06:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah JJ that might be how it works. I swear the god, all I remember is that Keef plays with 5 strings when he's in Nashville tuning, and that his skin turned to chicken when Gram taught it to him.
May 6th, 2005 09:26 PM
jpenn11 Nashville tuning is raising the low three strings an octave up. MT plays in Nashville tuning on acoustic in Wild Horses. Not sure how it may relate to open G tuning.

May 7th, 2005 12:40 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Yeah JJ that might be how it works. I swear the god, all I remember is that Keef plays with 5 strings when he's in Nashville tuning, and that his skin turned to chicken when Gram taught it to him.

it was Ry cooder, not gram parsons,
May 7th, 2005 01:04 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Nashville tuning is raising the low three strings an octave up. MT plays in Nashville tuning on acoustic in Wild Horses. Not sure how it may relate to open G tuning.

Yes, that's was my question.
May 7th, 2005 03:17 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

it was Ry cooder, not gram parsons,

Ry Cooder helped him get a handle on the tuning, but I think Keith himself decided, later, to remove the low E string, as it got in the way of the root note in those open-G chord voicings.

Rich Robinson basically plays the Keith style, but by keeping the low E string on there, he does a lot more Zeppelin-y type things with the tuning.
May 8th, 2005 04:15 AM
beer open g . He learned it from Ry. and ry was a bitch about it and talked shit. Called the Stones Reptillian.claimed keith rolled tapes during rehearsels, then stole his style. the top string came off on the 1970 tour. at least that's the first pics i noticed it from.

As far as the nashville / high strung tunin goes/ i think Keef learned it from someone from Don Rich's band way back in '65 possibly. though it wasn't prominent til '68 or early 69..
-
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour