ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
we're in babies

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tumbling Dice by The Black Crowes 2005 Return to archive
May 5th, 2005 08:31 AM
wisertime If you want to hear the cover, www.blackcrowes.com
"Radio online" section, it's from the May 2nd show, you can listen to the complete show.
Great version, enjoy !
May 5th, 2005 04:40 PM
Saint Sway this was the second time they covered "Tumbling Dice"

pretty impressive version!!! Especially the extended outro with the sisters singing "gotta roll me" over Rich Robinson nailing the Keef riff!!!

not better than the Stones version, though.

but you can tell that they were loving playing it!

actually thats the 1st time I've heard the Crowes cover a Stones song where they didnt absolutely smoke the Stones version. But lets face it, the Stones own this tune. They've got it down.... EVERY NIGHT.

but still awesome to hear the Crowes cover it. Its the perfect song for them to play. Its basically the blueprint for half the tunes they have.
May 5th, 2005 11:15 PM
ResidentMule you know, the Crowes doing Tumbling Dice sure would sound good with Steven Andrew Gorman on the drums...

(check the official site)
May 6th, 2005 01:57 AM
wisertime Steve Gorman is BACK !!! Great !!!!
May 6th, 2005 12:36 PM
justinkurian Yah, Gorman is back...I wish he was there for the Hammerstein show I was at. But, I'm seeing 'em w/Petty next month.

From Billboard.com

Drummer Gorman Rejoins Black Crowes

Original Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman has rejoined the band, after opting out of the initial dates on the band's reunion tour. Gorman played his first show last night (May 5) during the opener of a four-show run at Atlanta's Tabernacle. He replaces drummer Bill Dobrow, who previously played with Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson in the band Hookah Brown.

Last night's show featured five songs from the Crowes' 1992 album "Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion," including "Sting Me," "Black Moon Creeping," "Sometimes Salvation" and "Remedy." Also aired out were the rarities "Willin'" (a Little Feat cover) and "Peace Anyway (a B-side from the single "By Your Side").

The Crowes have tour dates on tap through Sept. 23 at the Austin City Limits festival. As previously reported, the group will also play more than two-dozen shows with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, beginning June 7 in Ft. Myers, Fla.

May 8th, 2005 07:04 AM
wisertime I prefer to hear the Crowes play "Tumbling Dice" than "Happy" for exemple, in my opinion it's their best Stones cover. They played "Happy", "tumbling Dice" and also "Girl From The North Country" yesterday, I'm happy to have pre-ordered the Instant Live recording.
May 8th, 2005 08:14 AM
NHStonesfan I'm seeing them this Friday hoping it's a great
Stones warm-up concert.
May 9th, 2005 10:25 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I prefer to hear the Crowes play "Tumbling Dice" than "Happy" for exemple, in my opinion it's their best Stones cover. They played "Happy", "tumbling Dice" and also "Girl From The North Country" yesterday, I'm happy to have pre-ordered the Instant Live recording.

here's the set list - big Stones tribute encore!!!

Cursed Diamond
Sting Me
Horsehead
Share The Ride -> Mellow Down Easy
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
Descending
Under A Mountain
Soul Singing
Remedy
Girl From The North Country
Hard To Handle -> Jam
- encore -
TUMBLING DICE!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
May 9th, 2005 12:57 PM
Factory Girl I love "Girl from the North Country". The Dylan/Cash duet always touches my heart.

Did the Crowes due the song justice?
May 9th, 2005 01:07 PM
wisertime
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I love "Girl from the North Country". The Dylan/Cash duet always touches my heart.

Did the Crowes due the song justice?

I haven't heard it yet but I have the Las Vegas 15/12/96 version and as Dylan fan, I think it's great !
May 9th, 2005 02:49 PM
Saint Sway yeah the previous versions I've heard of the Crowes covering Dylans "Girl From The North Country" were especially sweet. I have an acoustic version with the brothers Chris & Rich dueting on. Sounds gorgeous.

they hadnt played that song since '97. Apparently the version in Atlanta last weekend had Jimmy Herring sitting in and exchanging hot licks with Marc Ford. So this is gonna be a must have show!!!

for anyone interested it will be made available for purchase thru Instant Live
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour