ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Get well!!
© Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan a DeeJ on XM radio Return to archive
3rd May 2006 10:22 PM
sirmoonie Move over Riffy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4968396.stm

Sorry if this has been posted before. How cool!
4th May 2006 05:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Times May 04, 2006

Bob Dylan the DJ proves he has just the voice for radio
From James Bone in New York

Campaign to bring Dylan to Britain

THAT drawling, raspy voice was unmistakable. But this time it was introducing songs, not singing them.
The once-reclusive Bob Dylan made his debut yesterday as a radio DJ in the latest twist of his long career.

For fans accustomed to his terse, mumbled comments at concerts, the singer-songwriter was positively chatty — revealing a wry humour and even quoting Stevie Wonder in broken Italian.

Hard on the heels of the revelations in his bestselling Chronicles autobiography and the Martin Scorsese documentary No Direction Home on BBC Two, Dylan’s weekly radio show promises new insight into the music legend.

Introducing Slim Harpo’s Raining in My Heart, for instance, the twice-divorced Dylan opines: “Slim wrote a bunch of songs with his wife, Lovelle. Boy, I wish I had a wife like that, help me write songs!” The playlist for Dylan’s hour-long show on America’s XM Satellite Radio — only available to British listeners on the web at www.xmradio.com — offered clues to the master’s musical roots.

The theme of his first show was the weather, a sly joke for the man who wrote about a dozen weather-related titles, including A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall and the protest classic Blowin’ in the Wind.

It was, after all, a line in Dylan’s Subterranean Homesick Blues — “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows” — that gave the Sixties radical group the Weathermen its name. “Curious about what the weather looks like?” the 64-year-old rock poet growled as the show began. “Just look out your window or take a walk outside.”

Dylan’s mix of pop, blues, R&B, gospel and country, ranging from Judy Garland and Fats Domino to the Staple Singers and calypso’s Lord Beginner, stopped with Jimi Hendrix. As well as lovingly reciting lyrics, Dylan also peppered his introductions with comments on his musical forbears. Presenting Dean Martin’s I Don’t Care if the Sun Don’t Shine, he noted that it was also recorded by Elvis Presley and observed: “We forget how much Elvis wanted to be Dean.” Of Hendrix’s The Wind Cries Mary, he said: “This shows his more gentle side.”

Dylan also reintroduced now forgotten bands such as the Prisonaires, formed by convicts in a Tennessee jail in the 1940s, who had a hit with Just Walkin’ in the Rain. “The Prisonaires’ lead singer, Johnny Bragg, was sentenced to 99 years for rape when he was 11 years old. But, you know, for a black man in Tennessee in the Forties, rape could have meant just looking at the wrong white woman in a wrong way,” Dylan explained.

In 1955 “Johnny Bragg, who was out on parole, was sitting in the back seat of his car with a white girl, who was his wife, which somehow violated his parole and he ended up spending six years back in the lock-up,” he said.

Dylan is the latest star to have his own radio show. The trend began with Steve Van Zandt’s Underground Garage in 2002, and artists as varied as Eminem, Tom Petty and Snoop Dogg play DJ on satellite radio.

Dylan is being deployed by the market-leading XM Satellite, which has more than 6.5 million subscribers, against rival Sirius Satellite Radio, which hired the “shock jock” Howard Stern to build an audience of four million.

THE PLAYLIST

Blow, Wind, Blow
Muddy Waters

You Are My Sunshine
Jimmie Davis

California Sun
Joe Jones

Just Walking in the Rain
Prisonaires

After the Clouds Roll Away
Consolers

Let the Four Winds Blow
Fats Domino

Raining in My Heart
Slim Harpo

Summer Wind
Frank Sinatra

The Wind Cries Mary
Jimi Hendrix

Come Rain or Come Shine
Judy Garland

It's Raining
Irma Thomas

Stormy Weather
Spaniels

Jamaica Hurricane
Lord Beginner

A Place in the Sun
Stevie Wonder

Uncloudy Day
Staple Singers

I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine
Dean Martin

Keep on the Sunny Side
Carter Family
4th May 2006 12:39 PM
Martha Hi RocknRollers,

Chris got us a radio, but we aren't hooked up yet. Should catch this repeat in a day or so. I am sooo psyched! Thanks for this post!

It's good to be back on-line as well. I've missed the board.

Hugs to all,
Martha
4th May 2006 12:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot My uncle was gonna record this onto CDR...I'll have to find out how it went.

Hey Mile High Martha! Glad yer gettin settled in. Don't be a stranger.
4th May 2006 01:15 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My uncle was gonna record this onto CDR...I'll have to find out how it went.

Hey Mile High Martha! Glad yer gettin settled in. Don't be a stranger.

Hi sweetheart! It's good to be back. I was thinking of you earlier today looking for upcoming shows. We landed 6th row for CSNY at Red Rocks just 2 days ago.

Are you going to the PettyHeartbreakers Allman Brothers double header this summer? I see you are getting one of those shows right in yer back yard. That will blow ass. Take extra granola bars for that gig.

We have Tom and crew with Pearl Jam coming to the Pepsi Can July 2-3 and I didn't get in on the presales.....fingers are crossed on these 2 gigs.

I'm higher than a kite out here in the rockies....dizziness has set in (allergies+altitude=thespins!). Indeed, so I'm listening to the now infamous 04/30/03 Dylan's Louisville parking lot gig taped by Travelin' Man Records....who incidentally lives not far from our new abode. :-)

Medicine.

Peace to you brother.....you have a place to stay out West now. :-)

xxoo,
Martha
4th May 2006 01:39 PM
Nellcote MAAAAAAAAAAAAARTHA!
Check PM...
Mrs. Mellencamp!

4th May 2006 01:41 PM
Martha
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
MAAAAAAAAAAAAARTHA!
Check PM...
Mrs. Mellencamp!

Hi darlin'!!!!!! I almost called you just to hear you smile yesterday. I've missed you terribly!

xxoo,
M Mellencamp

Did you SEE?!!?! Johnny has stopped coloring his hair!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)