ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Get well!!
© Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith needs blood drained.... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
2nd May 2006 10:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels RICHARDS FACING BRAIN DRAIN

LATEST: KEITH RICHARDS needs to have blood drained from his skull before he can rejoin THE ROLLING STONES' world tour. The 62-year-old was airlifted to Auckland's Ascot hospital suffering concussion after reportedly falling out of a palm tree while on holiday in Fiji last week (27APR06). The BROWN SUGAR guitarist was discharged earlier this week (begs01MAY06), and he will undergo drilling to his skull to drain away bleeding caused by the tumble before The Stones' European dates kick off later this month (27MAY06). An insider tells British newspaper The Sun, "Keith's accident has turned out worse than everybody feared. "After the tests doctors decided they should drain his skull. It has given him a scare but he has been told that he should make a full recovery once it's done."
03/05/2006 02:52
contactmusic.com

{I don't know how true this is as I can't find any other reference online besides this contactmusic item)

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd May 2006 10:49 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
RICHARDS FACING BRAIN DRAIN

LATEST: KEITH RICHARDS needs to have blood drained from his skull before he can rejoin THE ROLLING STONES' world tour. The 62-year-old was airlifted to Auckland's Ascot hospital suffering concussion after reportedly falling out of a palm tree while on holiday in Fiji last week (27APR06). The BROWN SUGAR guitarist was discharged earlier this week (begs01MAY06), and he will undergo drilling to his skull to drain away bleeding caused by the tumble before The Stones' European dates kick off later this month (27MAY06). An insider tells British newspaper The Sun, "Keith's accident has turned out worse than everybody feared. "After the tests doctors decided they should drain his skull. It has given him a scare but he has been told that he should make a full recovery once it's done."
03/05/2006 02:52
contactmusic.com

{I don't know how true this is as I can't find any other reference online besides this contactmusic item)

WTF?!?!?!
2nd May 2006 10:54 PM
Cocaine Eyes Nah! Don't believe it!

And, Keith is out of the hospital.
[Edited by Cocaine Eyes]
2nd May 2006 10:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels This contact music blurb came from the Sun....
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006200392,,00.html
so I guess it has to be taken with a grain of salt until or if other confirmation becomes available.
2nd May 2006 11:00 PM
PeerQueer Don't know if it is true or not...

But when I saw no pics of Keith, and there seemed to be a big hush-hush going on regarding his condition, I rang up a friend who works at Harborview in Seattle (one of the great trauma centers in the world) and asked her, given what we knew regarding the situation, was her guess as to the actual state of Keith's health.

She stated that particularly given his age, any head injury is treated with carefull attention. The fact Keith apparently did not leave the hospital within 24 hours led her to believe the head injury was quite likely more serious than the minor classification it was given by the band spokesperson and that a battery of tests were likely done, and Keith was closely monitored over a 72 hour period.

She said that he will continue to be monitored periodically over the next couple of weeks for, among other things, swelling and yes, bleeding on the brain...

Her conversation was not comforting in the least - - -
3rd May 2006 02:05 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
pdog wrote:
One thing I've learned getting older. If I hurt something it hurts longer and takes longer to heal. When I was a teenager I was bulletproof, into my twenties I brusied a bit, in my 30's Icing bumps, knee surgery and lots of ibuprofen... being just 1 1/2 years away from 40, I'm very careful...

I hear that! My ability to party hard into the wee hours of nearly every night of the week has been replaced by periodic escapades with long stretches of simply going out to dinner with friends, or even (holy hell) just relaxing at home with a book and/or some tunes...

I am even prone to jet lag now which never bothered me before. If I have a flight that is more than a four or five hours, I need at least another four or five hours to rest or I feel like shit for the rest of the day.

I'm getting old (35) and well, I'm ok with that, because so many of the kids I ran with are dead, and dyin' young is just punk ass weak if you ask me.

I'm in it for the long haul...

3rd May 2006 03:33 AM
Reptile Freaky story. It is possible. It sounds scary, but they do say he would make a full recovery, so it's not really as freaky as it sounds. Godspeed, Keef!
3rd May 2006 06:51 AM
Gazza A bit weird to say the least. Wouldnt he be banned from flying (especially long distances) if he still required surgery?

Must admit that I too was surprised that someone with "mild concussion" wasnt released from hospital a lot faster, but looking at it another way, had it been anything serious, he'd still be there

I dont think the story is that far-fetched, but in typical "Sun" style, the headline tends to be more dramatic than the actual contents of the story beneath it

Its a good sign that the start of the tour doesnt seem to be under threat (although from past experience, the Stones camp do tend to wait until late in the day to announce postponements) and I had a bit of a resigned smile at the bit that suggested this might make him change his lifestyle. Some chance.
3rd May 2006 07:41 AM
LadyJane Consider the source...the Sun...tabloid rag.

Sure...head injury/concussion has risks of intracranial bleeding. Thus...close observation, CT scans and MRI's.

Not a nurse....but worked closely with Neurosurgeons for 7 years. That's why I've been so damned worried.

Time will tell.

LJ.

3rd May 2006 07:46 AM
GotToRollMe Jesus, that's disturbing news...mostly because it's plausible. I just hope it's tabloid sensationalism, like you guys said. I love my Keef.
3rd May 2006 07:57 AM
Mel Belli I've had a hunch this was more serious as soon as the band went into lockdown. I live in Washington and can smell spin from miles away.

Now, I don't know if this story is true or not, but if it is, there's no way in hell the European leg will start on time.

I just had minor surgery to repair a hernia, and after five weeks, I can still slightly feel the effects of it. Imagine, then, the recovery time for any procedure that involves the skull and/or brain.
3rd May 2006 08:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Consider the source...the Sun...tabloid rag.

they may be, but the "National Enquirer" theyre not.

they're certainly prone to exaggeration and invention, but at the same time, they're also more prone than any other paper to 'break' exclusive stories
3rd May 2006 08:07 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

they may be, but the "National Enquirer" theyre not.

they're certainly prone to exaggeration and invention, but at the same time, they're also more prone than any other paper to 'break' exclusive stories

That is why I remain very concerned.

LJ.
3rd May 2006 08:09 AM
corgi37 But, he's been discharged! So, either they drilled his noggin, or they didnt have to.
3rd May 2006 08:13 AM
justinkurian It made today's NME, but they're quoting the Sun:

Keith Richards 'to have brain op'

The legend is due to go back to hospital

Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards suffered a brain haemorrhage after he fell from a palm tree at the weekend, it has been reported.

The star injured himself in a bizarre accident in Fiji last week (April 27). Initial reports indicated he had suffered "mild concussion" following the incident at an exclusive resort.

According to The Sun, after Richards had continued to complain of dull headaches tests revealed a small haemorrhage. He will now have an operation to drain his skull.

A spokesperson for the band could not confirm the story when contacted by NME.COM.

Richards is said to have had the accident as he and bandmate Ronnie Wood tried to climb the tree to get coconuts at the Wakaya Club luxury resort. The star lost his grip and plunged to the ground.

The Stones are due to start the European leg of their 'A Bigger Bang' world tour in Barcelona on May 27.
3rd May 2006 08:21 AM
Reptile It's all very strange.

If he really had a mild concussion, he wouldn't have been in there for a week. I mean, he may be Keith Richards, he may be 62 years old, but a week is way too long for anything that simple.

But if he really needed to have surgery why would he have been discharged? That doesn't make sense either.
3rd May 2006 08:28 AM
SweetVirginia From News Telegraph:

Keith Richards 'has brain haemorrhage'
(Filed: 03/05/2006)

Rolling Stone Keith Richards is to undergo surgery after suffering a brain haemorrhage when he fell out of a palm tree.

Richards, 62, was believed initially to have suffered only mild concussion in the accident in Fiji last Thursday.

But he continued to suffer headaches after his discharge from hospital and doctors have now diagnosed bleeding in the brain, according to The Sun.

He will require an operation to drill a hole in his skull in order to drain the blood.

"Keith's accident has turned out worse than everybody feared," a close friend told the newspaper.

"After the tests doctors decided they should drain his skull. It has given him a scare but he has been told that he should make a full recovery once it's done."

Guitarist Richards is believed to have fallen out of a coconut tree at the exclusive Wakaya Club resort in Fiji.

He was treated in a Fiji hospital before being airlifted to a hospital in Auckland, New Zealand for observation.

Doctors have since discharged him but it is not known where he went after his release.

It remains unclear whether Richards' injury will have any effect on the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang world tour, due to resume in late May at the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona, followed by 34 more dates across Europe.

Richards and wife Patti Hansen flew to Fiji for a holiday after playing two concerts in New Zealand over Easter.

Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/03/urichards.xml

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
3rd May 2006 09:19 AM
Factory Girl If true, this is truly terrible.
3rd May 2006 09:25 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Keith Richards brain op

By GORDON SMART
Deputy Showbiz Editor

ROLLING Stone Keith Richards is due to have his skull drilled after suffering a brain haemorrhage falling from a palm tree, The Sun can reveal.

The rock wildman, 62, has been told by doctors he needs to have blood drained from his brain after bashing his head in the tumble in Fiji last week.

Keith was originally diagnosed with mild concussion.

But he continued to complain of dull headaches and tests revealed a small haemorrhage.

A close pal said last night: “Keith’s accident has turned out worse than everybody feared.

“After the tests doctors decided they should drain his skull. It has given him a scare but he has been told that he should make a full recovery once it’s done.”

Keith had the accident as he and bandmate Ronnie Wood tried to climb the tree to get coconuts at a luxury resort.

Keith lost his grip and plunged back down to the ground.

The guitar hero was flown 1,500 miles to Ascot Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand, with his wife Patti Hansen for tests.

He was discharged yesterday and faces having the op at another hospital.

Now pals reckon the incident will help him finally change his hellraising ways. He has already vowed to quit booze and cigarettes.

“Keef” had gone to Fiji's exclusive Wakaya Club resort after playing with the Stones at Wellington, New Zealand, two weeks ago as part of their Bigger Band world tour.

If all goes well, he is expected to be fully fit in time for the European leg of the tour which kicks off in Barcelona on May 27.

link
3rd May 2006 09:57 AM
the good Well, if these reports are true, Keith would not be the first person to have his skull drained after suffering a head injury. Hopefully it really isn't anything to be seriously worried about in the long run.

However, this incident does demonstrate that Keith needs to do some growing up. Patti had better give him an earful over all of this...
3rd May 2006 10:01 AM
the good The hospital dischaged him to early. They should have kept him for observations. I don't know if they didn't because they are incompetent or because Keith is an extremely difficult and headstrong patient. I suspect the later.
[Edited by the good]
3rd May 2006 10:12 AM
FotiniD I find it hard to believe that any hospital would have Keith Richards in and not run all the proper tests AND not diagnose a brain haemorrhage! What they heck were they looking for? What about all the brain scans?

And how did Keith realize he had a brain haemorrhage and go back to the hospital? So many god-damn questions.

It sounds scary as hell. I pray everything will turn out right. Man, it's so stupid to have to go through all this for picking coconuts! It's just insane!

"Now pals reckon the incident will help him finally change his hellraising ways. He has already vowed to quit booze and cigarettes." - He'd better!
[Edited by FotiniD]
3rd May 2006 10:13 AM
Nellcote Do we have any med folks here?
Can he fly with this?
3rd May 2006 10:18 AM
gimmekeef If this is true..then they wouldnt let him leave if there was any immediate danger.With his resources such a procedure would be done in the best hospital money could afford with the best nerosurgeon.If we dont have some announcement or quote from him in a day or so...then perhaps he's really "not out of the woods" yet....
3rd May 2006 10:32 AM
Saint Sway for those still in doubt, this is true. It makes absolute sense and draining fluid from the brain is very common after severe head injuries, especially in edler patients. The symptoms, such as fluid on the brain, typically dont show up for sometimes several days to over a week after the initial injury. I've had family members go thru this and this is exactly how it goes down. The good news is that draining fluid (blood) is an invasive but simple procedure and in cases like this when it is discovered sooner rather than later, the success rates are good.

I'm sure that a man of Keith's wealth and stature is seeing the absolute best medical care available. I suspect he will recover fine. However, I also suspect that increased recovery time is needed and some of the dates will be post poned or cancelled.
3rd May 2006 10:55 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm sure Keith will be okay. If draining some blood is the best way to go, then it's for the best. I actually had a brain bleed when I was born, so if there’s any fluid on the brain, it's best it get sorted straight away.

Rock on Keith!
3rd May 2006 10:58 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I actually had a brain bleed when I was born, so if there’s any fluid on the brain, it's best it get sorted straight away.

its very common with infants

Keiths going to be OK.

but I still suspect that some dates will get cancelled. A bummer, but whats important now is a full recovery for The Human Riff.
[Edited by Saint Sway]
3rd May 2006 11:20 AM
Gazza I still find it hard to believe that a 62 year old man who has supposedly had a mild "brain haemorrhage" would be released from hospital after only four days

And presumably would be allowed to fly 12,000 miles home so soon after treatment. If he needed further surgery, he surely would have been detained in hospital until it took place.

Its interesting that when you compare the news story thats quoted at the start of this thread, the ones that follow it (and which used it as the source for their own take on events) have become somewhat more hysterical.
3rd May 2006 11:35 AM
Saint Sway Gazza,

in cases like this the hemmoraging often may not show until days later. I'm sure they ran tests, cat scans etc and felt he was good to go.
3rd May 2006 11:40 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well if Keith wasn't going to have the procedure done in NZ, then they would have no reason to keep him. That's why they discharged him. There's nothing else that they can do for him. Especially if they don't have a top notch nuerosurgeon on staff. So he probably had the surgery scheduled with the best that money can buy somewhere else, and he was discharged so he could go get the op done.

Pretty simple and standard stuff. So is the procedure itself. I'm not really worried about this. He will be fine.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)