ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
1997 doing the same
Announcing a new album and a new tour, Brooklyn Bridge, NYC August 18, 1997
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: May 1, 1975 Return to archive
May 1st, 2005 09:53 AM
luxury1 Does anyone else remember how fucking exciting it was? I was a mere 15 yrs old (i keep getting younger, no?) listening to I believe it was Scott Muni on WNEW, holding a mic out on 5th Ave, following the truck. I was literally tearing at my hair, cus I couldnt be in the city--but at least I was "witnessing" it live via the radio. Whatever happened to good radio like NEW anyway?
Anyway, here's to the upcoming announcement....
May 1st, 2005 11:14 AM
exile I was only 3
BUT I saw the footage on 25x5 and it looked fantastic.
I would have loved to have been there.
May 1st, 2005 11:27 AM
Stray Cat UK Ronnie's first gig

STILL the new boy!
May 1st, 2005 11:42 AM
charlotte I do!!!A classic (original)way to announce a new tour!! one month before I graduated from HS...a major part of my life since 1966
May 1st, 2005 12:05 PM
LadyJane A historic day in Rock History.

Oh I remember.....one month before I saw them for the very first time!!!!!!!!!

Thirty years.......and here we are waiting for a new Tour announcement!!! Howe lucky are we????

LJ.

May 1st, 2005 12:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Ronnie's first gig

STILL the new boy!

LOL... well with the Rolling Stones
May 1st, 2005 03:16 PM
Moonisup things have changed
May 1st, 2005 03:24 PM
M.O.W.A.T. And here I thought that it was U2 who pioneered the whole "Let's announce our new tour playing on the back of a flatbed travelling through New York City" shtick.
May 1st, 2005 03:33 PM
Soldatti What a magic moment...
May 1st, 2005 09:27 PM
Nellcote I remember, how wicked pissa that they would have the "stones' to take a flatbed down 5th Ave playing the best kick-ass song of the '70's, Brown Sugar, with a new guitar player. I'd just seen the Faces front row 3 months earlier, they were tight, Woody had his on lp out. This was the merger of rock guitarists made in heaven. Still ranks right up there. I think the TOTA Eagle/Jet logo is about the best of their tour logos which still stands the test of time. I wore that tee shirt for years..Great thread Luxy, I'm gettin all juiced up & sloppy now for this month!
[Edited by Nellcote]
May 1st, 2005 09:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
May 1st, 2005 10:39 PM
corgi37 And the band still refer to that moment as their fave announcement gag. It was Charlie's idea, borrowed from a old jazz tradition. I actually downloaded the clip about 3 months ago.

I love watching the journos almost tripping over each other as they follow the truck.

I'm so excited as to what they will do this time. Its really building now. I love bagging them inbetween activities, but when those giant old wheels of the Stones machine gear up again, i am just a sucker for them.
May 2nd, 2005 08:49 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The previous photo was the original header to commemorate 30 years of the tour, however Gypsy sent me two additional pictures I never seen before, so I changed the header for the following:

It was thirty years ago today!!
Announcing the Tour of the Americas and first live appearance of Woody, NYC May 1, 1975
© 1975 Peter Gould with thanks to Gypsy
May 2nd, 2005 10:24 AM
gustavobala someone here goes to the shows?

ronnie wrongs much in the musics? his guitar was load?

in the boots is difficult to listen!!!

thanxs!
May 2nd, 2005 01:26 PM
luxury1 Oh hell, corgi, I remember reading that now, about riding down 5th Ave on a flatbed to announce the tour as being Charlie's idea.
And it was so funny/exhilariting to hear/see the press chasing the truck in the jumble on the sidewalk. And Mick flinging those papers about.
Nellcote, I'm with ya--I am all juiced up (but never sloppy, my dear) with the anticipation. I have looked at RS.com three times today, just to read the words "Closed for maintenance, return on Wed." I'm giving myself the willies.
May 2nd, 2005 01:37 PM
Joey " May 1st , 1975 -- Does anyone else remember how fu##ing exciting it was? I was a mere 15 yrs old "

Really , you look twenty - one years old TODAY !!!!

I was almost eleven years old when Saigon fell to the Communist North and the capital city of " Saigon , South Vietnam " was renamed " Ho Chi Minh City , Vietnam " in honor of the ' victor ' , dear Uncle Ho ............. Er , that IS what you are talking about here ...........No ?!?!?!

Developing ................................

Shiver .....................................

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

Jacky Cong ! ™

[ Edited by LBJ ]

[Edited by Joey]
May 2nd, 2005 02:24 PM
Nellcote Joey, feel free to give yourself a ten gallon Christopher Walken "MAO" when you get a moment.....Did I ever tell you of my service in Sicily, with a certain family...
May 2nd, 2005 02:43 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Joey, feel free to give yourself a ten gallon Christopher Walken "MAO" when you get a moment.....Did I ever tell you of my service in Sicily, with a certain family...

Nellcote ....................

" MAO " !!!!! means ' shoot ' in Vietnamese and the Vietnamese personality is characterized by three tenets : 1 ) tenacity , 2 ) defiance , and 3 ) indirection ....or so says Henry Kissinger .

I too played some ' games ' in the Russian Roulette parlors of Saigon in the early seventies ..........

I played games ............................!

Some games ....................!

" MAO " !!! ... " Slap " !!! ... " MAO " !!!!

" Regardless of the disputes over the veracity of the Russian roulette scenes, they create an indelible metaphor for warfare and its atmosphere of sudden, random violence. While the press notes suggest that the final song was meant to be affirmative, the searing sense of loss that builds up throughout the film renders it profoundly ambiguous. This combination of ambivalence, brutality, and controversy echoed American culture's experience of Vietnam, making The Deer Hunter an even more telling cultural artifact than may have been intended. The film's awards and acclaim manifested Hollywood's willingness finally to reckon one way or another with a war that had been all but absent from movie screens while it was happening, leading the way for such later films as Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987) and Oliver Stone's Platoon (1986) and Born on the Fourth of July (1989). "

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll

" Stones Rule ..............You Bastards ! "

Jacky Cong ! ™

[ Edited by RFK ]

[Edited by Joey]
May 2nd, 2005 02:45 PM
Nellcote Did you see them go all hookey balookey in the streets of Saigon this weekend?
May 2nd, 2005 02:50 PM
MrPleasant So, which one is the best movie about the Vietnam War?
Apocalypse Now?
May 2nd, 2005 02:50 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Did you see them go all hookey balookey in the streets of Saigon this weekend?

You mean ' Ho Chi Minh City ' ?!?!

Yes I did see that ...............!!!!! MADE ME SICK .

Why Lyndon Johnson decided NOT to ' drop the bomb ' I will NEVER understand ................. It still sticks in me craw to this day ..............and you ?!?!

The United States STILL has a score to settle and we WILL settle it ........................someday .

" BET THE RANCH RONNIE ! "

" Stones Rule .................You Bastards ! "

Jazzy ! ™

[ Edited by LBJ ]
[Edited by Joey]
May 2nd, 2005 02:51 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
So, which one is the best movie about the Vietnam War?
Apocalypse Now?

Oliver Stone's " Platoon " ( circa 1986 )

W- W- W- W- What ?!?! ..............Oh , sure ! :

[ Edited by JFK ]
[Edited by Joey]
May 2nd, 2005 02:55 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

Oliver Stone's " Platoon " ( circa 1986 )

Kubrick was a fan of that one, I believe. In fact, he liked it more than Coppola's.
May 2nd, 2005 03:02 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Kubrick was a fan of that one, I believe. In fact, he liked it more than Coppola's.

Coppola's was just a little too ' overwrought ' ...............whatever THAT means !

Word !

May 2nd, 2005 03:04 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

Coppola's was just a little too ' overwrought ' ...............whatever THAT means !

Word !

My feelings, exactly. He didn't know how to end the script, and it shows.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour