ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Saint George's Church, Hanover Square, London - January, 1964
Terry Disney
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan Exclusives at Apple's iTunes Music Store Return to archive
04-30-03 08:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Apple Computer launched its exciting new iTunes Music Store this week and is featuring three Bob Dylan tracks found nowhere else:

"Hero Blues," from Bob Dylan's legendary Carnegie Hall concert of October 26, 1963. This original song has never been released on any official Bob Dylan album! You can find the lyrics at http://bobdylan.com/songs/heroblues.html

"Spanish Harlem Incident," from the historic Halloween 1964 concert at New York's Philharmonic Hall. This is the first official live release of the song which originally appeared on Another Side of Bob Dylan (http://bobdylan.com/albums/another.html/). Lyrics can be found at http://bobdylan.com/songs/harlem.html

"Everything is Broken," an alternate take (with different lyrics) of the song originally released on Bob Dylan's 1989 album "Oh Mercy"
(http://bobdylan.com/albums/ohmercy.html/) Lyrics at
http://bobdylan.com/songs/broken.html

In addition, the iTunes Music Store offers dozens of other Bob Dylan tracks for sale. Visit Apple Computer's site at www.apple.com to learn about the iTunes Music Store and discover how to download these great tracks.

bobdylan.com

04-30-03 08:54 PM
steel driving hammer I read that today, why I was hesitant in posting that here, I don't know...

Here's some more info.

Apple music service plays by industry rules
Tue Apr 29, 7:45 AM ET

By Richard Waters in San Francisco

Steve Jobs made his peace with the music industry on Monday, unveiling an online music service that represents one of the first attempts by Silicon Valley to play by the rules of the traditional media world.

Reuters Photo

However, with digital songs on the new Apple Computer service priced at around the same level as on a CD, and with the service only available to the 3 per cent of US computer owners who use Apples, the initiative is unlikely to have wide appeal in its early days, music industry executives and analysts said.

The launch also comes days after a big legal setback for the music companies. A US court refused to order the closure of two popular successors to the Napster file-swapping music service, which have contributed to the illegal copying of music.

The judgement "certainly wasn't helpful" in the fight to turn the internet into a channel for the commercial distribution of music, said Roger Ames, head of Warner Music.

Mr Jobs angered the music establishment two years ago with an advertising campaign that urged listeners to "Rip. Mix. Burn." The slogan was seen as an open invitation to computer users to download songs for free through file-swapping networks, though the Apple founder claimed on Monday that the invocation to "rip", or load music from a CD onto a computer hard-drive, had been mistakenly confused for "rip off" by "people who didn't have teenage children in the house."

Throwing an olive branch to the music labels, Mr Jobs on Monday amended that slogan to: "Acquire. Manage. Listen." In a break-through that brings the world's five biggest music labels together in an online initiative for the first time, Apple said it would let customers buy songs for 99 cents each, avoiding the subscription fees required by rivals. The service also allows users to download songs and "burn" them onto CDs, overcoming music industry reluctance to let songs be used this way. However, Apple's software will only allow the music to be loaded onto a maximum of three Apple computers, as well as its iPod portable music players.

Mr Jobs said on Monday that the service would be available on Windows-based personal computers by the end of this year, a move that would greatly expand its potential market. However, his initial deal with the music labels runs for only a year, suggesting that its future will depend on whether it can find an audience with the small Apple audience in that time.
05-01-03 12:56 PM
Martha I just got to put in my two cents here and say:
LONG LIVE BOB DYLAN!!!!!!!

The show in Louisville, KY last night ( 8,000 plus showed up to the parking lot for this one!..I almost went into a flashback!!!) was incredible. It was the first concert we've been to since the L.A. win tickets to the free Stones gig in February. Perfect next show to attend for sure! And Bob was the first show we caught on the backside of the three Stones shows in October last year when he came to the old party pit, Hara Arena, and played last November. Will the circle be unbroken...!?!

I will eventually have this show for anyone who might be interested in hearing it. Our taper friend, who came down from Cleveland and went with us, got into the sweet spot and will be letting me know what he got in a day or so. Fingers are crossed...I can't wait to hear this one again.

Also, Bob extended this show and did two encores rather than one....I guess he must have heard I was in the audience and knows I need some extra musical healing. LOL I think it worked too, I had an absolutely great night!

Life is good!

Bob is still the coolest man on earth...all is well in Martha's world today.

If you get the chance to catch Bob this summer or ever don't miss out on it!!!!! He is touring with the "Dead" as well, later in the summer...tickets for the venue in Ohio go on sale this Saturday.
05-01-03 11:30 PM
Honky Tonk RDW#12&35 Totally agreed there. The show absolutely rocked and highly compared to many of the shows seen last Fall. Though, there is a new sound now that Charlie is missing from the lineup. He's missed, but Freddie still does a great job filling in as lead.

Summer Days was way better in the Fall imo, but you can't compain too much with the 2nd encore set and nice setlist with some new songs I've not yet heard live.

Martha is right on.....Bob IS the coolest cat on this planet.
05-01-03 11:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Welcome aboard! and yes...

...Everybody must get stoned

05-02-03 07:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy And every last one of those songs will be on Kazaa in a few days.

For free.

If I want a CD, I'll go and buy it from an independent store. If there's some hokey promotion goin' down... I go right to KazaaLite.

As for "Well, Bob doesn't get the money," I paid Bob this week. I just bought Live 1975, from my local independent record store, and I'm glad I did. Man, listening to "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" off that album makes you want to get up and dance.

(I actually had my headphones on walking into English class right as the chorus came on, and I roared "Well it's-a hard, it's-a hard, it's-a hard, it's a haaaaaaaaaard, it's-a hard rain's a-gonna fall!" before looking up to realize everyone was sitting down looking at me. The teacher clapped, though.)

-tSYX --- He said, "that ain't necessary!"
05-02-03 11:14 AM
Martha Savage and Young..your stories delight me!

Welcome to the board RDW 12&35 this is a great place to hang out! Hope to chat with you again! ;-)

...they'll stone you and then say...GOOD LUCK!
05-02-03 01:09 PM
luridchief >>And every last one of those songs will be on Kazaa in a few days. For free.<<

No, they won't. One of the main points of the Apple store is that it does away with piracy. The songs are specially encoded--you can do pretty much what you want with 'em if you BUY them (burn to CD etc.), but if you try to P2P them, they won't work.
05-02-03 08:14 PM
Honky Tonk RDW#12&35 Oh, the Live 1975 is a pure gem. A friend had a pre-release of it and sent me a copy. But, he sent me a blank instead of disc 2 to tease me I guess.

All the Genuine Bootleg Series are ones to grab. Volumes 1-3 are great too. Many great songs that never made it to the albums. It must be tough trying to pick which songs to leave off. Too many Dylan boots.....too little time to listen to them all...

Thanks for the welcome, Martha. You too, Voodoo. I'm sure I'll find it a great place to hang out for sure. And no doubt, we'll chat again.
05-02-03 08:41 PM
luridchief I bought LIVE 1975 yesterday and it is great! 2 CDs (22 songs), a nice color booklet and a bonus DVD (!) with Dylan doing two tracks live--all for only $14.95 (!) at Wal-Mart.

Jesus H. Christ--I wish that the Stones would do something similar. Imagine if they released official live 2-CD sets for every past tour?
05-02-03 09:56 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
luridchief wrote:
>>And every last one of those songs will be on Kazaa in a few days. For free.<<

No, they won't. One of the main points of the Apple store is that it does away with piracy. The songs are specially encoded--you can do pretty much what you want with 'em if you BUY them (burn to CD etc.), but if you try to P2P them, they won't work.

Ah, but here the system breaks down.

In order to get the songs onto a CD, they'll have to get re-coded by something. MP3 files don't work well direct-to-CD... they have to get converted to .wav files or something.

So then they get on the CD, burned in stone... they move over to my computer via a friend or something, I rip the songs from the CDs, stick 'em on Kazaa, voila! Apple wastes money trying to keep Bob Dylan away from us folks who don't enjoy being forced to dance for bootlegs.

-tSYX --- It's a-hard rain's a-gonna fall!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003