ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
"On the Road" World Tour 2002-2003

Still we're gonna miss you.
Good Times Magazine Nr. 2 April/Mai/Juni 2002
Danke Bendix!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Press Conference Question Return to archive
05-06-02 01:40 PM
StonesJuno Hi all. I posted this on another board, and would like to ask the same question here, if I may.

I have been watching VH1, MTV, and regular News (including New York based News stations on satellite), but I haven't heard a thing mentioned about the Rolling Stones Tour Press conference for tomorrow. I would think that at this late hour, we would have heard something on public news? It's only a 40th Anniversary (arguably 2002 or 03, depending when you think the 'true' band formed) Tour of the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band, right?

I know that it will happen, of course. Press credentials have been issued, blimp sitings, etc., but this lack of pre-coverage of the Press event strikes me as odd. If it weren't for these fan boards Shidoobee, IORR, and Rocks Off (and some printed news here and there), how would the average Joe Blow fan even know about this?

I thought I heard much more about B2B's PreTour Press hoopla than this time around. Anyone seen anything on VH1, MTV, and/or any other TV show? I see the feed times listed here, but....where's the news for Joe and Jane average fan?
05-06-02 05:13 PM
StonesJuno I read from Shidoobee w/StonesDoug that contact has been made with VH1 direclty, says no change to regularly schedule programing.

Live? Perhaps we will all see a RECORDED version of the Press Conference. Perhaps the 'Blimp' and weather (and for that matter, FAA clearance) is all too unpredictable to make this live. Do we all remember Jeraldo (sp?) and the Al Capone vault fiasco?
05-06-02 05:57 PM
stonedinaustralia well that's the idea of the conference in the first place isn't it... i.e. the official announcement of the tour...

it would seem from some of the more recent posts below that the news has made the print media...no surprise there's nothing on tv yet as, so far, the have no new visuals and as far as the televsion is concerned if there are no pictures there is no news...

the radio?... well (perhaps) also consider that an "agreement" between the stones and the electronic media may have been struck... i.e. the networks don't pre-empt the news and so they don't incur the wrath of the stones and therefore lose their place among the favoured when the tour starts and the media is really hungry for news about/access to the stones...
05-06-02 08:55 PM
StonesJuno Well, Stoned, the press always uses old footage (when nothing current is available) to 'stir it up' before a live event. Archive footage. Used all the time, for many newsworthy live events. I think this surely qualifies. Historically, with the Stones, their Press Conference is an EVENT IN ITSELF Whether by flatbed truck, train, or Brooklyn Bridge, they make it part of the 'Circus' atmosphere of the start of a Tour. A Rock and Roll circus, per se. I don't think this Press Conference will differ. I can't imagine the standard press conference consisting of a few mics' and questions. I don't think so. I think we are in for a grand entrance, as only the Stones can do. I can hardly wait, just wish I knew where to tune in to see/record it.

Perhaps it's just a bit too unpredictable to risk costly 'empty' airtime whilst we wait for the Stones arrival.
05-06-02 10:25 PM
moy hey stonesjuno you really have a nice website

check it out http://www.rollingstonesfanatic.com/

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.