ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Murray Webb
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: AC/DC rocked by ID scam Return to archive
3rd May 2006 10:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC rocked by ID scam
May 3, 2006 - 2:13PM
smh.com

AC/DC producer and former Easybeats guitarist George Young is the victim of identity fraud that has seen aspiring musicians in the UK fleeced of thousands of dollars.

The man befriended a series of people at a pub in London, convincing them he was George Young and claiming he managed and produced AC/DC.

But the industry hopefuls ended up with only empty bank accounts and stolen IDs after the fraudster skipped the country after extracting all he could.

When contacted via email in Europe by smh.com.au the real George Young, who had been made aware of the scammer by AC/DC's recording label Alberts, expressed his sympathy for the people who had been duped and said: "I hope the cops catch him quick."

The baffling fraud came to light when Albert's began to receive emails from people in the UK saying they had been defrauded by someone claiming to be Mr Young.

In response they posted a warning on their AC/DC fansite warning that a man passing himself as Mr Young has been extracting money, credit cards and personal identification such as passports by promising bogus opportunities in the music industry.

The scam began in the Churchill Arms, a pub in the trendy London suburb of Notting Hill.

The fraudster introduced himself as George Young, even bringing along copies of AC/DC's latest DVD release, Family Jewelsto give to his newfound friends.

According to one of his victims, Fernando, who refused to give his last name to smh.com.au because his "level of trust in strangers is not the greatest at the moment", the fraudster targeted a group of about six people, all aged between 30 and 45.

He told them he could get them jobs in rock and roll, starting with enrolling them in an "Events Management" course.

The course, he said, required a cash deposit in advance which would be refunded when the course began.

He also offered cheap tickets to concerts and health and safety courses.

But when the time came for the would-be rock and roll students to begin their course they found, to their horror, the scammer had disappeared with their money and ID.

"He works [by] imposing pressure, saying that it's a one lifetime opportunity, always very aggressive with a lot of yelling," said Fernando from London.

"After I told him I had no more money, he said that I should go to a bank, get a loan and give the money to him.

"Then he told me to call my family, friends and whoever I could for more cash."

Fernando even said at one point the man demanded he sell his jacket for cash.

In the end Fernando gave the man £700 ($A1,670), as well as his passport, other ID and his credit card, which the man claimed he needed to organise Fernando's working visa to Australia.

Executive director of music at Alberts, Fifa Riccobono, told smh.com.au she was very concerned by the actions of the scammer.

"He keeps parading himself around as being someone from Alberts and in most cases as George Young.

Ms Riccobono said she is exasperated by the ongoing fraud, with police in the UK and Europe - including the world's largest policing organisation Interpol - unable to catch the fraudster.

"From what I can gather and from everybody that has mentioned him he is incredibly, incredibly clever at talking his way through things.

"He is a prize scammer."

3rd May 2006 11:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels New AC/DC album?
By Dylan Welch
May 3, 2006 - smh.com.au

The director of music at AC/DC's record label, Albert's, has discussed the long-awaited new album from the Aussie rock band.

It has now been more than six years since the last album, Stiff Upper Lip.

Fifa Riccobono said the band had not decided upon a definite schedule for release, and still had not got into the recording studio.

"I'm hanging out for it big time," she told smh.com.au.

"There's no scheduling. They're ready to go and ready to record but there's no plan for it."

She said the band had written a lot of material and practised new songs, but still have not got to the recording studio.

"The minute they do I'll be very, very happy."

The new album, which has held frustrated fans in anxious suspense since the rumour caught on the ageing rockers were planning a new as yet untitled disc.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)