ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy Mother's Day to all the mamacitas buenonas of Rocks Off
Happy Mother's Day!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Scottland in summer 2006 Return to archive
April 30th, 2005 09:44 AM
Iris From IORR!!

(sorry about the "German" second -t- in Scotland ....)
According to Daily Record: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/therazz/daily/tm_objectid=15461650%26method=full%26siteid=89488-name_page.html

"THE RAZZ: WILL THIS BE THE LAST TIME Apr 30 2005

Rolling Stones set for Hampden as part of rock's most profitable world tour

By John Dingwall

ROCK legends The Rolling Stones are planning a sensational stadium concert in Scotland next year.

The veteran rockers have pencilled Hampden Park in Glasgow for what promises to be a sell-out show, and possibly the last time they play north of the border.

News of the date comes as the band prepare to announce the first leg of their world tour in New York next month.

They'll reveal their American dates before adding concerts around the world in what is expected to be the most profitable tour by a band ever.

It's predicted the gigs, which start in Boston, Massachusetts, on August 21, and continue throughout most of 2006, will earn more than £50million from ticket sales, while merchandising and sponsorship will come close to doubling the band's income.

After America, Sir Mick Jagger and the boys will travel through Europe before finishing in the UK.

The Stones last played in Scotland at Glasgow's SECC in September 2003. Before that, they rocked Edinburgh's Murrayfield in 1999.

Last night, an insider said: 'The Stones are preparing for a massive world tour and Scotland is, of course, in their plans. They think the Scots are among the best fans in the world and the band's original piano player, Ian Strewart, came from Scotland.

'When he died of a heart attack in 1985, having worked as the band's tour manager, it really shook them up.

'When they come back to Scotland, it evokes fond memories of Stu and travelling up to play places like the Glasgow Odeon in their early years.

'The Stones haven't always been able to make it, but we are only too aware of how disappointed the fans would be if they were to miss out.

'The band are planning to confirm US gigs in a couple of weeks, but UK fans should keep their eyes peeled for announcements.' And the band will be hitting the road for the massive world tour with an amazing combined age of 242.

It's rumoured it will be the last chance to see Sir Mick, Keith Richards, both 61, Charlie Watts, 63, and Ronnie Wood, 57, perform in Scotland.

Charlie, the band's stalwart drummer, was recently diagnosed with throat cancer.

The Stones are also expected to perform at the new Wembley stadium in June next year before heading to Hampden, with Murrayfield pencilled in as a back-up.

But fans will have to pay dearly for the pleasure of watching the Stones in Scotland. Tickets are expected to average £100 each"

[Edited by Iris]
April 30th, 2005 06:39 PM
Gazza thanks Iris. Almost a "local" gig for me. saw the Stones there in 1990.

I still dont think that if the UK shows are in June, that'll be the end of the tour. More a case of the UK press hyping up the significance of their 'local' shows.
May 1st, 2005 07:17 AM
corgi37 And, aint it the way. I am just too used to this. Touring U.S. then Europe. No word about us Aussies, the Lords of the World.

We'll probably dip out, as we did with b2b & Steel Wheels.

Of course, i could go to Scotland see them, and re-claim my castle. If the sucker is still there, of course. Is Kilbirnie near Glasgow?
May 1st, 2005 07:39 AM
Daethgod have faith corgi

the boys will come ...

i hope ....

and please play Rod Laver .. no MCG or Telstra Dome

May 1st, 2005 08:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
And, aint it the way. I am just too used to this. Touring U.S. then Europe. No word about us Aussies, the Lords of the World.

We'll probably dip out, as we did with b2b & Steel Wheels.

Of course, i could go to Scotland see them, and re-claim my castle. If the sucker is still there, of course. Is Kilbirnie near Glasgow?

Its a Scottish newspaper, Corgi. Its relevant to mention European dates and them starting the tour in the US. Whats in between is of no significance to their readers.
May 1st, 2005 10:50 PM
corgi37 Yeah, Gazza, i see ya point. Our papers would probably do the same.

DaethGod - Good to hear from you. You know, even though our shows were great at Rod Laver, i'd kind of like to see a huge spectacular. I want my wife to see the bells and whistles. Telstra Dome would well and truly suck, but it does have the roof.

MCG would be ok. The extensions will just about be finished. Imagine 80,000 people witnessing history? I just dont know which would be a more viable tour of Oz. Arenas or stadiums. I think you can scratch the idea of theatre shows.
May 1st, 2005 11:14 PM
Daethgod i saw Bruce at Telstra Dome and it sucked heiny

NO vibe at all.. even the Boss had a crack at the crowd..

i saw Stones at MCG and 3 shows at Rod Laver and if u can get good seats Rod Laver is ok

MCG will be ok too i guess, but if u get a bad seat they will look like ants.. tho i still remember stumbling out of the G in a hash-cookie glaze singing "Hey Hey You Got Me Rocking Now .." with some other freaky Stones heads

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour