ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy Mother's Day to all the mamacitas buenonas of Rocks Off
Happy Mother's Day!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wyman: the Stones aren't wild Return to archive
April 27th, 2005 10:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels WYMAN: 'THE STONES ARE NOT WILD'

Former ROLLING STONES bassist BILL WYMAN has shattered the band's legendary rock 'n' roll image by insisting they're not the intoxicated, ladies' men their reputation suggests.

The 68-year-old BROWN SUGAR star quit the legendary band in 1993 in favour of a quieter life, but he insists it wasn't a constant stream of insatiable women and endless supply of alcohol that tired him out - it was the stress of maintaining the Stones' status in rock 'n' roll.

And Wyman insists the band's care-free lifestyle was wildly exaggerated anyway.

He says, "That life that everybody else envied doesn't exist. To be in a band and be world famous is hard work. You are not lying by a pool drinking champagne, being served Beluga caviar and with a host of girls around."

27/04/2005 14:00
Contactmusic.com
April 27th, 2005 10:42 AM
luxury1 What?
April 27th, 2005 11:10 AM
egon exactly; hard work.
like working hard on the new album
April 27th, 2005 11:36 AM
corgi37 Yeah, he knew about hard work.

Keith, Ron & Mick T played bass on so many tracks, its ridiculous.

To quote Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon".

April 27th, 2005 11:50 AM
Monkey Woman Sure, Bill, let us believe the Stones weren't wild enough for you!
April 27th, 2005 11:55 AM
littleredrooster Of course he is right!
That's why he had to seek women in primary school!!!!!
April 27th, 2005 12:23 PM
Zeeta He's doin the rounds here in UK:

Before the interview the reporter was warned "Do not in any case ask about the Rolling Stones or his personal life! He gets VERY VERY Mad!"

What a turd face! (But a good bassist!)

Bill Wyman's golden oldiesEx-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman tells Sarah Freeman why he now prefers metal detecting to rock and roll.
Watching Bill Wyman demonstrate his metal detecting technique in an office not much bigger than a cupboard in the upstairs of a Yorkshire bookshop is slightly disconcerting.
Wearing a black leather jacket and purple tinted glasses, he looks like the Rolling Stone of old and with a gravely drawl, which owes much to years of smoking, he even sounds like the man who spent 30 years of his life in one of the world's most famous bands. But something is not quite right –he likes, no loves, metal detecting and he's not afraid who knows it.
In the preface to his new book Bill Wyman's Treasure Islands he attempts to explain the origins of his passion, which emerged in 1991 when he was going through what he describes as "very difficult personal circumstances".
But surely the usual rock and roll answer to such tribulations would have been a large bottle of whisky and a handful of Class A drugs.
The path to self-destruction is a well-trod one, so why did Wyman, the man who during two years in the 1960s apparently recorded that he'd slept with 278 women, decide metal detecting would be his therapy?
"Archaeology was what I liked," he says curtly as though his answer is an obvious one. "But it's a very time consuming business. You can dig a hole for 30 years, but where do you stop? I'd already dug up bits of my own backyard, but wanted to be able to go out and about. Metal detecting allowed me to do that."
What he describes as his "own backyard" is in fact a manor house set in not insubstantial grounds in Suffolk. But while owning acres of land may put him one step ahead of the average metal detectorist, even during his days hanging out with Jagger, Richards and Co there were signs he would turn amateur historian.
As the band archivist, his attic houses dozens of trunks of carefully ordered memorabilia, he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the blues and while on tour even during the Stones' heyday he insists he would head off for the nearest museum leaving the others to handle the more human and female exhibits they had picked up on route.
"When I was young, museums were stuffy place," he says. "They weren't child friendly and they always had a funny smell about them, but I still liked to go and look at the objects. I grew up with a love of history, but I always found it difficult at school because it was about learning facts and dates by rote. When I left the band I had time on my hands, time to pursue other things."
But while he may be at his happiest with a metal detector rather than a guitar in his hand and while he enjoys being immersed in history, he is keen to make sure that his own past doesn't follow him around.
Despite having built up a successful band of his own with the Rhythm Kings, ask most people who or what they associate Bill Wyman with and while the Stones may be the first response, it will be closely followed by his relationship and later short-lived marriage to Mandy Smith.
Minutes before the interview we are told in no uncertain terms that if asked anything about the Rolling Stones or indeed his personal life he will, and I quote, "get very, very mad". An interview stamped with a health warning is not the easiest of prospects, but Wyman goes some way to explaining his 'metal detecting or nothing' stance. "The media doesn't like you to do anything out of character. They didn't like it when John McEnroe had a rock band and I know because he asked me to teach them how to play bass," he laughs in a rare moment of jollity. "Everyone has a hobby outside their career, but when you're famous, suddenly you're not allowed.
"For me one of the joys of what I do is the peace and quiet. A lot of musicians go fishing, Eric (Clapton] goes fishing, so does Gary Brooker (of Procul Harum]. For me metal detecting is land fishing. It means I get some fresh air, some exercise and get away from it all."
Homespun philosophy over, it's back to conversations about the origin of field names and recommendations to subscribed to The Searcher and Treasure Hunter periodicals.
You get the impression that he talks about little else and you have wonder whether his wife feels she has become a metal detecting widow.
"On one piece of land I found 300 Roman coins and 20 little bronze brooches and numerous pieces of pottery," says Wyman, beginning a tale which will not stop despite the increasingly unsubtle interruptions from a press officer trying to speed up the proceedings.
Wyman is already late to talk to a group of fans gathered on the first floor of York's Borders bookshop. But he's on a roll. "They kept telling me there wasn't a site there," he continues. "But one day I found a strange object and it turned out to be part of a Roman lock and they had to admit that after all these years I was right. I'm never smug, but let's just say I felt quite satisfied.
"Most finds you know are accidental. You can go out one day and all you'll come back with is a couple of buttons from the 1800s, but then another day you'll come back with pockets full of stuff. In some ways, that's the beauty of metal detecting, it's out of your control."
And may be just may be, that lack of control maybe the key to his 14-year obsession.
"To be honest, I was probably a bit bizarre when I was with the band and I'm probably a bit bizarre now. But someone once said if you know from whence you came there's no limit to where you can go.
"That's why I love archaeology, that's why I'm a metal detectorist."
To order a copy of Bill Wyman's Treasure Islands (Sutton Publishing, £25) call the Yorkshire Post Bookshop free on 0800 0153232. P&P is £1.95.
27 April 2005
April 27th, 2005 12:25 PM
Zeeta Of course now I will buy his book - a bargain! - Bill Wyman's Treasure Islands (Sutton Publishing, £25)

April 27th, 2005 06:30 PM
MrPleasant I love Bill. No matter what he says.
April 27th, 2005 10:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I love Bill. No matter what he says.

I love Bill. But I don't care what he says now.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour