ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy Mother's Day to all the mamacitas buenonas of Rocks Off
Happy Mother's Day!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will the next songs be just Pop shit? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 27th, 2005 09:26 AM
Joey
quote:

kath wrote:
after wading through the off topic stuff,

{{{{ ? }}}}

Kath ..............I take it you do NOT poop !

" In Search of the Perfect Bowel Movement – Part 1 "

" Interest in bowel movements may seem perverse to many, but is actually a very common source of worry for most people and a topic of discussion for more of us than you can imagine. Young children and the elderly do not find this subject off limits – in fact they seem to enjoy talking about their daily accomplishments. Walk through your local drug store and observe the aisles of laxatives, stool softeners, bulking agents, stimulants, and antidiarrheal remedies – somebody must have concerns – they’re spending billions on these products. For example, Americans spend $725 million a year on laxatives alone.

The amount, consistence, and frequency of bowel movements vary among people and most of this difference is not caused by slight dissimilarities in the human intestinal tract, but rather by the things we choose to put into our bodies – our food choices.

To my knowledge no one has ever tried to define the perfect human bowel movement – based on my professional experiences as a doctor, and my personal experiences, I will now attempt to do this (even though I risk permanently damaging my squeaky clean reputation).

A bowel movement occurs when feces present in the rectum cause distention, which leads to reflex contraction of the smooth muscles of the rectum and relaxation of the anal sphincter. About this same time the abdominal and diaphragm muscles contract and the stool is expelled. Let’s begin with what is common.

What is the typical Western bowel movement?

In Western societies, “normal” stool frequency ranges from 2 to 3 times a day to 2 to 3 times a week. However, I have met patients who moved their bowels less frequently than every 12 days and this monumental task required a laxative or two. For someone on the American diet the urge to defecate can be accompanied by feelings ranging from mild discomfort to distressing pain, felt in the mid to lower abdomen. The active passage of the bowel movement is often accompanied by rectal pain and bright red rectal bleeding. Most commonly a stool formed from the typical American diet requires muscular straining to pass – recall the grunting and groaning sounds echoing from the bathroom walls. The time required for the typical bowel movement can be measured by the length of one to two stories in Reader’s Digest. After all that effort, more often than not, one is left with a feeling of incomplete emptying. The stool itself varies from “tiny rock hard fecal marbles” to “tubular play dough,” about an inch in diameter, and dark brown in color. The more meat consumed the darker the stool color.

Clean up afterwards (with toilet tissue) is sometimes difficult because of the stickiness and greasiness of the feces. The grease in the bowel movement is from the undigested fats and oils in the foods consumed. Moist tissues are often required to complete the cleansing operation.

What is the ideal bowel movement?

Ideally, the abdomen will be completely comfortable until the time to eliminate, and then an urge, with no pain or distress, will be felt in the lower abdomen. There is no break-neck rush to the bathroom – and if necessary, a short delay is easily achieved until the proper facilities are located. The actual movement is painless and accompanied by a sense of pleasant relief, and occurs after one light abdominal push (no severe or repeated straining). Maximum “downloading time” will be less than 60 seconds. A feeling of complete evacuation is experienced and any further urge to defecate disappears until some time later when the rectum is filled again. One to three movements occur daily – usually in the morning, shortly after rising. The stool is large, unformed (more like a cow-plop than a tube), and colored shades of light yellow, orange, and brown – depending upon foods consumed. Clean up afterwards, with a small amount of toilet tissue, is effortless. (I always wondered why my dogs, cats, and birds never required toilet tissue – I guess it is because I always fed them properly – the foods they were designed to eat.)

Constipation – the All-American Movement

An official definition of constipation is: difficult or infrequent passage of feces, hardness of stool, or a feeling of incomplete evacuation. Between 16 and 34 percent of children are reported to be constipated and 20% of people over the age of 65 years.1 The worse a person’s diet the more likely they are to report constipation. Nearly 70% of people on the very low-fiber, high meat and dairy, Atkins diet report constipation.2 I have observed that what is “normal” and what is “constipation,” is often based upon what the person is used to. Many people confess to me that they only realized they had been constipated all their lives after they changed to a diet based on unrefined plant foods.

Constipation is the most common complaint of people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This is the one of the most common gastrointestinal problems seen in the practices of primary care and gastroenterology doctors. Much of the information here applies to people with “constipation-dominant IBS.” A future newsletter will discuss this common condition in detail.

Common Reasons for Constipation

The Low-Fiber American Diet

Dietary fiber makes up the bulk of the stool and is mostly undigested carbohydrate.3 Dietary fiber is commonly divided into soluble and insoluble fibers. Soluble fibers include pectin, guar gum, B glucan, and psyllium and this class causes modest reduction in blood cholesterol and blood sugars. Insoluble fibers are mainly responsible for providing bulk to the feces, and these include cellulose and lignin.

Do not think of fiber as the bristles of a broom that will scratch your intestinal lining. Fiber is actually microscopic chains of sugar (carbohydrate). The difference between dietary fiber and dietary carbohydrates is the sugars forming dietary fiber are connected by linkages that our intestine lacks enzymes to digest – so the chains of sugar travel all the way through the small intestine intact (undigested). With the dietary carbohydrates (found in starches, vegetables, and fruits) our intestinal lining has enzymes that cleave the connections between the sugars, so they are broken down into simple sugars, which are then absorbed into our body.

Like dietary carbohydrates, fiber is only found in plant foods. There is not a speck of fiber in any beef, chicken, fish, lobster, egg, milk, or cheese. On the American diet the few grains people do consume, like rice and flours, are highly refined into “white” rice and flour – and in the manufacturing processes most of the fiber is removed. Therefore, on the American diet people consume 6 to 10 grams of dietary fiber a day. On the McDougall diet the amount is 30 to 100 grams daily.

When there is little fiber in your diet, there is little substance to form a stool (a few dead cells and a paltry amount of fiber) and the result is, in the worst case, a few tiny rock hard fecal marbles. Because these marbles are small in volume they provide little distention of the rectum, resulting in constipation. Besides the small size there are other reasons the American stool just doesn’t want to come out.

Dairy Proteins Paralyze the Bowel

Early in my practice (24 years ago) I was surprised when people swore they followed my diet, but still complained they were constipated. I soon learned how to answer this dilemma with a question, “When are you going to give up the skim milk on your cereal?” Dairy protein (not the fat or sugar) causes severe constipation in many people. This was clearly demonstrated in a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1998, of 65 severely constipated children.4 They complained of only one bowel movement every 3 to 15 days and didn’t even respond to strong laxatives (lactulose and mineral oil). Forty-four of the 65 (68%), however, found relief of their constipation when taken off the cow-milk. Evidence of inflammation of the bowel was found on biopsy and anal fissures and pain were commonly associated with the constipation. All of these were resolved with the elimination of the cow-milk. When cow-milk was introduced into their diet 8 to 12 months later all of the children developed constipation within 5 to 10 days. So it is not just the lack of fiber in the diet that binds you up, but also other qualities of animal foods. "

http://www.travelwizard.com/healthwellness/mcdougall-articles-sep02-bowel.html

[ Edited by Shecky ]

[Edited by Joey]
April 27th, 2005 01:52 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Well if'n you guys are gonna shit on Bush you might as well wipe your feet on the flag while you're at it.

Much as some of us would like to actually defecate on him, I gotta level with you - that's actually just a PICTURE of President Bush on the toilet paper. And what was posted here was a picture of a picture.

The flag people are standing on is a piece of cloth. There has been no magical catholic transubstantiation performed on it to make it anything more than that. And hey, what's that they're looking at? Pictures of flag-draped coffins which the President has decreed should not be seen because it's bad for business? See, there's something that has a very real meaning - the coffin, not the flag. Each coffin represents someone who was told he was going to Iraq to protect the USA from imminent danger, in other words - who was lied to, and consequently died so their former enemies could have a nice election.

quote:
Riffhard continued to huff and puff:
How dare people accuse liberals of being un-American! The nerve!

Oh,and by the way,the above picture was taken at USC at Berkeley during an exhibit of liberal cartoon artists. Yeah,there's nothing anti-American there,huh? LOL! Ya don't like it? Move to fucking Canada!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." (Albert Einstein)

Hey what are those goddamned liberal pansies doin' - that there's a pitcher o' the President o' the goldarned United States! And they're givin' him the finger! You know what THAT means! The nerve! They ain't even Americans! They probably don't support his war neither! Ooooh! They make me so MAD!

[Edited by FPM C10]
April 27th, 2005 01:56 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Hey what are those goddamned liberal pansies doin' - that there's a pitcher o' the President o' the goldarned United States! And they're givin' him the finger! You know what THAT means! The nerve! They ain't even Americans! They probably don't support his war neither! Ooooh! They make me so MAD!

Damn SHAME about that Vietnam , Huh ?!?!

[ Edited by Ho Chi Minh ]

[Edited by Joey]
April 27th, 2005 03:16 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Much as some of us would like to actually defecate on him, I gotta level with you - that's actually just a PICTURE of President Bush on the toilet paper. And what was posted here was a picture of a picture.

The flag people are standing on is a piece of cloth. There has been no magical catholic transubstantiation performed on it to make it anything more than that. And hey, what's that they're looking at? Pictures of flag-draped coffins which the President has decreed should not be seen because it's bad for business? See, there's something that has a very real meaning - the coffin, not the flag. Each coffin represents someone who was told he was going to Iraq to protect the USA from imminent danger, in other words - who was lied to, and consequently died so their former enemies could have a nice election.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." (Albert Einstein)

[Edited by FPM C10]

Well FPM it may just represent a peice of cloth to you,but to me it represents much more. It represents my country,and as such,it pisses me off that people feel that by walking on it they are making some sort of bold political statement. Pure unadulterated bullshit! They are disrespecting the very symbol of the nation that supports their pansy asses. Soldiers are dying under the banner of that flag,and have done so for years just so these stupid fucks can walk on it,burn it,wipe their liberal asses with it! Yet,you defend them? Funny how that logic does not work with me. If these stupid fucking liberals cared so much about the soldiers they weep for than why in the fuck would they walk on the flag that those very same soldiers salute every day?!

Play it out however you like FPM,but that is sheer disrespect,and outright hatred towards one's own country. These people can claim their first ammendment rights all they want,and so can I. That's why have absolutly no problem calling them exactly what they are. Liberal fucksticks who know very little,if anything about the true nature of the country they so love to hate. So I say again. If they don't fucking like it move.

As a ten year old I landed at LAX airport with my family. Having just returned from Bangkok Thailand after four years. My father is a retired full bird from the United States Air Force. I saw,with my mother and two brothers,my father get spit on! He was heckeled by liberal fuckers who were too chickenshit to face him. Only after we had walked by did we hear from these liberal fucks. So you can defend these types all you want,but I know how I felt as a ten year old watching that shit happen to my dad. He was serving his nation,and all they could do was shit on him for it. Fucking assholes like them have contributed absolutly nothing to their country(or the world),and why should they? They hate it!

Oh,and if these people are so goddamned concerned about the troops then why on earth are they traipsing on the flag that drapes their coffins in the first place?! Bullshit! Sheer bullshit! Have you ever met a real military family FPM? I can tell you right now they don't want sympathy from a bunch of self rightous fucks like those in the above picture. Stupid fucking pansies is all they are,and all they ever will be.

Riffhard
April 27th, 2005 04:15 PM
Joey

Once Proud Fiji acts so humble
April 27th, 2005 04:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Once Proud Fiji acts so humble

thank you for cheering me up Joey, you know this has been a very trying day for me!
April 27th, 2005 04:23 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

thank you for cheering me up Joey, you know this has been a very trying day for me!

For My Puggy ! :

Once Proud Fiji acts so Humble
April 27th, 2005 04:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

For My Puggy ! :

Once Proud Fiji acts so Humble

now we are rolling! I only wish "ALL" of us were here to enjoy this!
April 27th, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

now we are rolling! I only wish "ALL" of us were here to enjoy this!

Damn Straight My Pugster !

Man am I HOT today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27th, 2005 04:31 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Well FPM it may just represent a peice of cloth to you,but to me it represents much more. It represents my country,and as such,it pisses me off that people feel that by walking on it they are making some sort of bold political statement. Pure unadulterated bullshit! They are disrespecting the very symbol of the nation that supports their pansy asses. Soldiers are dying under the banner of that flag,and have done so for years just so these stupid fucks can walk on it,burn it,wipe their liberal asses with it! Yet,you defend them? Funny how that logic does not work with me. If these stupid fucking liberals cared so much about the soldiers they weep for than why in the fuck would they walk on the flag that those very same soldiers salute every day?!

Well, a couple of things...first, the picture of people standing on a flag was something YOU posted to piss yourself off. It was only very remotely related to the subject at hand, which was...hmmm...Joey having to go take a dump. And that would strike me as absurd and slightly hilarious if it didn't happen every single time you jump into a thread. You're always yelling about stuff that nbobody's talking about, usually Bill Clinton. You're always worked up about something. And I wonder sometimes, why is that? What are you right wingers so mad about? YOUR side won! You own all three branches of government and are doing everything you can to make America a one-party system. The "liberal press" that you guys are always squawking about only exists on the satellite radio stations you have to pay to hear; mainstream news is toothless and afraid to say ANYTHING that might make the Powers That Be angry. Fox News, which is THE official news organ of the US Government, still sounds like there's an election going on. Settle down, Beavis! As much as you'd like to, you can't arrest or kill everyone who disagrees with you! Yet.

Another thing: The President is not the country. You can disagree with the President and still love the country. At least 50 million people agree with that. So wiping my ass with Bush is a far cry from standing on the flag.

However, having people programmed so they are ready to kill over symbols is frightening and evil. That's true whether it's a cross or a swastika. And that's what my reminder about the flag being a piece of cloth meant.

quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Play it out however you like FPM,but that is sheer disrespect,and outright hatred towards one's own country. These people can claim their first ammendment rights all they want,and so can I. That's why have absolutly no problem calling them exactly what they are. Liberal fucksticks who know very little,if anything about the true nature of the country they so love to hate. So I say again. If they don't fucking like it move.

See, it seems like it's YOU that doesn't know what the true nature of the country is. It's NOT everyone towing the party line and agreeing unthinkingly to everything that the majority party says. That would be a dictatorship. A county like America is a much more complicated proposition. There is dissent, and differences of opinion, and a system of checks and balances to insure that no one entity gets to call all the shots. And declaring a war which has no foreseeable end is not a valid reason to suspend all of that.

As for telling us to move: we have as much right to an opinion on how the country should be run as you do. Winning an election does not translate to dictatorship. A lot of us talked about moving to Canada in November, but it turns out we're not ready to give up on America yet. So, even though it enrages you that anyone could have a different opinion, you'll just have to put up with it. Or you could put your money where your mouth is and go to Iraq to support whatever the hell your president is doing over there.

ALL of you chicken-hawks, from Cheney on down, should be forced to put your money where your mouth is. If the "cause", whatever it is this week, is worth American blood, then why not yours? Or even better, your kids' blood. Got any kids, Riffy? I do. And I'll be fucked if he's ever going to die so there can be an "election" or a "regime change" in the Middle East.

quote:
Riffhard wrote:
As a ten year old I landed at LAX airport with my family. Having just returned from Bangkok Thailand after four years. My father is a retired full bird from the United States Air Force. I saw,with my mother and two brothers,my father get spit on! He was heckeled by liberal fuckers who were too chickenshit to face him. Only after we had walked by did we hear from these liberal fucks. So you can defend these types all you want,but I know how I felt as a ten year old watching that shit happen to my dad. He was serving his nation,and all they could do was shit on him for it. Fucking assholes like them have contributed absolutly nothing to their country(or the world),and why should they? They hate it!

Oh,and if these people are so goddamned concerned about the troops then why on earth are they traipsing on the flag that drapes their coffins in the first place?! Bullshit! Sheer bullshit! Have you ever met a real military family FPM? I can tell you right now they don't want sympathy from a bunch of self rightous fucks like those in the above picture. Stupid fucking pansies is all they are,and all they ever will be.

Riffhard

Wow, great story. Nobody here is spitting on your dad. Now, if your dad had died in Vietnam, and somebody asked you what he died for, what would you say? Was he over there defending me? Um, no. He was doing what he was told to do, I guess. And at this point I don't think anybody can come up with a real good reason why ANY of those men and women died. (I don't know for sure whether any women died in Vietnam or not.)So it turns out that the people who protested the war were right to do so. "My Country Right Or Wrong" is a ridiculous and potentially disastrous credo which you seem to have tattooed across your forehead. And having lived through all of this in the 60s, I cannot believe that we have to do it all again.

Nobody in Iraq is "dying under the banner of that flag,and have done so for years just so these stupid fucks can walk on it,burn it,wipe their liberal asses with it!" Get with the program, Riffy. Our army is over there to spread Democracy! The whole "imminent danger" story was ditched a long time ago. That war doesn't have anything to do with us, the American people, except in the most far-fetched way.

Your whole rant about "Fucking assholes like them" who "have contributed absolutly nothing to their country(or the world),and why should they? They hate it!" - calm down, man! You're having a flash-back! Once again let me remind you that YOU posted the picture of the people standing on the flag to piss yourself off, which triggered some sort of regression to childhood. We posted humorous pictures of toilet paper with Bush's face on it. Much different.

And yeah, I know plenty of military families. They're programmed to do what they're told, not ask questions, and die for reasons which may or may not be valid. And you can spin that as being a glorious thing, and sometimes it IS, but I didn't grow up in a military family so you'll pardon me if I don't think it ALWAYS is. Like NOW.
April 27th, 2005 04:44 PM
kath so, we're NOT off-topic?

oh. silly me.

no, joey. actually i have had IBS for about 15 years now, so i know of your pooping extravaganzas. i always enjoy reading about them. but thanks for your concern, my bro in bowels!!!
April 27th, 2005 05:03 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
so, we're NOT off-topic?

oh. silly me.

no, joey. actually i have had IBS for about 15 years now, so i know of your pooping extravaganzas. i always enjoy reading about them. but thanks for your concern, my bro in bowels!!!

" Less Common Causes of Constipation
Anal Fissures and Hemorrhoids – Painful conditions can produce a spasm of the anal sphincter muscle, and fear of defecation can cause retained stool.

Diseases - Diseases of the nervous tissues and muscles, such as scleroderma, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injuries, and stroke, can cause constipation. As can scarring, inflammation from diverticulitis, tumors, and cancer that produce mechanical compression of the intestine, and sometimes complete bowel obstruction. Metabolic disorders such as dehydration, diabetes, and hypothyroidism can also cause constipation.

Immobility and inconvenience - due to injury or illness, especially when a bed pan is required, or a schedule that makes elimination inconvenient or unsociable will result in retained feces that become dehydrated and hard to pass.

Laxative use – Because of real or imagined constipation many people become dependent upon laxatives. Stimulant laxatives are particularly troublesome because the bowel becomes dependent on this stimulation and will not contract sufficiently with the normal reflexes caused by filling the rectum with stool.

Medications - Many medications, including pain medications (narcotics), antacids containing aluminum or calcium, antispasmodic drugs, antidepressant drugs, tranquilizers, iron supplements, anticonvulsants for epilepsy, antiparkinsonism drugs, and antihypertensive drugs, especially calcium channel blockers, commonly cause constipation.

Pregnancy – Pregnant women are encouraged to drink at least four glasses of milk a day and eat plenty of protein in the form of meat. No wonder they are usually constipated. Pregnancy is a normal healthy stage in a woman’s life – not an illness – and regular bowel function will occur in pregnant women on a healthy diet of unrefined starches, vegetables, and fruits.

Travel – Constipation due to travel is caused by the changes in diet, water intake, and schedule. Conscious avoidance of unhealthy foods and dehydration alleviates this disturbance.

Eat Right and Exercise to the Perfect Bowel Movement

In order to have a normal healthy bowel movement you need to put the right things into your colon – a process which begins at the dinner table. Your diet needs to be based upon unrefined starches like potatoes, beans, rice, corn, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat breads and pastas with the addition of fruits and vegetables. No animal products, and especially no dairy protein of any kind, should be a part of your diet. The effects of eating dairy products, and/or a fiber deficient diet, are usually experienced the very next day and you shouldn’t expect normal function to return for 3 to 4 days after discontinuing these foods and reintroducing healthy ones.

Priming the Pump:

Years of poor bowel function characterized by constipation can cause residual problems, like bowel distention and a “lazy bowel,” especially if there has also been laxative abuse. Due to physical diminished forces, an overdistended bowel contracts less effectively. To make things worse, when the bowel muscles have been stimulated for years to contract by the chemicals in laxatives, rather than the reflex caused by natural distention from filling of the rectum, the bowel becomes insensitive to the presence of the stool – it waits for the drugs.

To break the laxative habit and cure a “lazy overdistended bowel” takes some planning, patience, and above all, training. The bowel must be brought back to its normal condition of contracting from the stimulus of fecal distention. It needs to be exercised so the muscles can grow strong again. The first step is to eat right and eat plenty of food (this is no time for “dieting”). Fill the bowel with fiber and remove all “paralyzing” dairy proteins. It may take several days before the urgency to have a bowel movement is experienced. Be patient, nothing bad is going to happen to you – the stool formed from a healthy plant-based diet is soft and moist and will eventually pass. (If you think something is wrong then see your doctor, because occasionally people have already developed a fecal impaction which must be mechanically removed by the doctor.)

Sometimes it is necessary to “prime the pump,” so to speak, by artificially and purposefully over-filling the bowel. Wheat bran may effectively accomplish this, or a non-absorbable sugar, called lactulose (doctor’s prescription required) may be even more effective at filling the bowel and causing a reflex contraction. Once the movements start with this additional help, the days following should experience ever-improving bowel movements. When the movements are effortless, the dosage of the wheat bran and/or lactulose can be slowly decreased, and eventually stopped. "

April 27th, 2005 05:19 PM
MRD8 Maybe if the Stones read this thread they'll move the tour up to June! WE NEED A TOUR NOW!!!
April 27th, 2005 05:25 PM
Joey
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Maybe if the Stones read this thread they'll move the tour up to June! WE NEED A TOUR NOW!!!

" Priming the Pump: .... "

" Years of poor bowel function characterized by constipation can cause residual problems, like bowel distention and a “lazy bowel,” especially if there has also been laxative abuse. Due to physical diminished forces, an overdistended bowel contracts less effectively. To make things worse, when the bowel muscles have been stimulated for years to contract by the chemicals in laxatives, rather than the reflex caused by natural distention from filling of the rectum, the bowel becomes insensitive to the presence of the stool – it waits for the drugs.

To break the laxative habit and cure a “lazy overdistended bowel” takes some planning, patience, and above all, training. The bowel must be brought back to its normal condition of contracting from the stimulus of fecal distention. It needs to be exercised so the muscles can grow strong again. The first step is to eat right and eat plenty of food (this is no time for “dieting”). Fill the bowel with fiber and remove all “paralyzing” dairy proteins. It may take several days before the urgency to have a bowel movement is experienced. Be patient, nothing bad is going to happen to you – the stool formed from a healthy plant-based diet is soft and moist and will eventually pass. (If you think something is wrong then see your doctor, because occasionally people have already developed a fecal impaction which must be mechanically removed by the doctor.)

Sometimes it is necessary to “prime the pump,” so to speak, by artificially and purposefully over-filling the bowel. Wheat bran may effectively accomplish this, or a non-absorbable sugar, called lactulose (doctor’s prescription required) may be even more effective at filling the bowel and causing a reflex contraction. Once the movements start with this additional help, the days following should experience ever-improving bowel movements. When the movements are effortless, the dosage of the wheat bran and/or lactulose can be slowly decreased, and eventually stopped.

Extra Help

Exercise may also be beneficial. The effect of physical activity on constipation seems likely, but has not been proved. Some explanations for benefits are: an effect on colonic motility, decreased blood flow to the gut, biomechanical bouncing of the gut during running, compression of the colon by abdominal musculature, and increased fiber intake as a result of increased energy expenditure.5 Likely people who exercise are also diet conscious and as a result eat a diet higher in fiber.

Fluid Intake (water) is recommended by many primary care physicians and gastroenterologists; however, despite common medical advice to consume extra fluid for constipation, one study found that extra fluid intake in normal healthy volunteers does not produce a significant increase in stool output.6 The extra fluid was efficiently absorbed in the gut and the body simply eliminated the extra fluid as urine. However, another study found with the addition of 25 g of fiber and 1 to 2 extra liters of water daily there was an increased stool frequency in patients with chronic functional constipation.7 Maybe the extra fiber is necessary for the water to make a difference?

Fruits add both dietary fiber and water to the diet. Some fruits like prunes and kiwifruit have mild stimulatory effects on the bowel, promoting bowel movements.8,9

Fiber Supplements like partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG), SunFiber for example, and wheat bran, produced improvements in IBS symptoms (abdominal pain and bowel habits). PHGG was better tolerated and preferred by patients.10

Flaxseed increases bowel movements by about 30%.11 Flaxseed can be consumed as a cereal, like Uncle Sam Cereal©, or flaxseed can be added to any grain before cooking – add 2 to 4 tablespoons of flaxseed to each cup of grain, such as rice. Flaxseed may also reduce the risk for colon carcinogenesis.12

Wheat Bran can add bulk to the stool and encourage effortless bowel movements. This product can be purchased as “Miller’s bran” or in various cereals advertised as “bran.” Wheat bran (10 to 15 grams/day) has also been associated with a decreased risk of developing colon cancer.13,14

Laxatives
There are many forms of laxatives and they include:

Stool Bulking Agents: Metamucil, psyllium (ispaghula, isapgol, seed husk), methylcellulose (Citrucel), and sterculia increase the volume of the stool.

Stimulants: Castor oil, senna, dioctyl sodium sulphosuccinate (Dioctyl), Bisacodyl (Carter's Little Pills; Dulcolax; Fleet Bisacodyl).

Osmotic Agents: Lactulose, magnesium hydroxide, magnesium sulfate

Rectal Emenas and Suppositories: Dulco-lax, Glycerol suppositories, phosphate enemas.

Bulking agents and osmotics are much preferred over stimulants, because the bowel easily becomes dependent upon stimulants.

Need for a Medical Evaluation

If anyone continues to have abnormal bowel movements after a change to a plant-based diet, and especially if pain or bleeding with the bowel movements occurs, then a doctor’s examination is indicated. Evaluation will likely include an examination of their large bowel, which can be simply and cost effectively done with a barium enema x-ray and a sigmoid exam. However, in part because it is much more profitable for them, most gastroenterologists will want to do a colonoscopy which has more risks, costs, and requires an anesthetic for the procedure. Either approach will rule out most serious diseases that cause constipation and IBS.

More than just Constipation

In the months that follow you will learn the role diet plays in constipation-related diseases, like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and how straining in an effort to move the constipated American stool causes damage to the body, leading to hemorrhoids, varicose veins, and a hiatal hernia. In the meantime, work on attaining “the perfect bowel movement” with the things you learned so far. What a relief to have that nasty nagging difficulty behind you – your whole day will be improved by your new found freedom to occupy your thoughts with issues much more important than “will I have a BM today?”"

April 27th, 2005 05:55 PM
kath
quote:
What a relief to have that nasty nagging difficulty behind you – your whole day will be improved by your new found freedom to occupy your thoughts with issues much more important than “will I have a BM today?”"

oy!!! if i've said it once, i've said it a thousand times!!!!
April 27th, 2005 06:08 PM
Riffhard FPM you seem to think that I believe that the USA is always right,and if you don't agree then fuck off! That's not my point at all. Far from it. My point is that the left wingers that gladly trash the nation by walking on it's flag,and continually rant about only what's wrong are doing nothing but fanning anti-American flames,and for what?! I mean what the fuck good does that do? Ever been to Berkley? I have plenty of times,and I can tell you that those idiots(or at least a good percentage of them)really do HATE the USA. Yes,I gladly tell them to fucking move!

I do not,and do not know anyone who does,worship the flag or any other symbols FPM. I do,however,fully respect what the flag represents. Therefore I get rightfully outraged by some fucker that feels that he has the right to disrespect it,and then still line up for foodstamps later in the week,or expect a goverment paid college grant.

You also state that I have somehow turned this thread into a political pissing match. However,it is you that always starts it by posting pictures that you know damned good and well will provoke! LOL! I mean c'mon bro you know that's true!

Clinton? I never mentioned Bubba once in this thread,but now that you mention it allow me to explain conservative's outrage at Bill. Here's a guy that so disrespects the office of president of the USA that he uses his charisma,charm,and his huge amount of power to get blowjobs from a twenty one year old intern in the Oval office. To liberals that is no biggie,but once again it shows a complete lack of respect for the office of president. Simply put,I expect more of my president than that. As I rightfully should. That liberals don't says more about them than anything Bill could ever do. Hey,I voted for the smooth talking scumbag in 1992! I realized how much of a used car salesman he was by 1996! Thank god!

Many US liberals bitch and moan about the evils of their own country,and also the evils of religion. Funny that the real historical facts are that the USA has liberated more people than any other nation in the history of civilization,and Christian charities have contributed more for hummanitarian efforts than any other charity in the world. So please do tell how the USA is so bad,and how religion is so corrupt. Yet,liberals are suppossed to be the enlightened ones that are so concerned for the poor and helpless. Go figure.

I don't blindly follow any dogma or doctrine FPM. I just see the very real reason why things in the Middle East had to change. I thank God that Bush had the balls to actully start to make that change begin. It will take longer than his 8 years to complete,but hey,the GOP will win again in 2008 so I'm not overly concerned. The Dems do not have a positive message,and haven't had one for years. Hence,four election cycles in a row where they have lost more House seats,Senate seats,governorships,mayorships,city council seats,............Liberals will never win until they stop ridiculing people of faith,ignoring the south,and refering to middle America as fly over country,but hey,at least they've got New York and LA locked up! LOL!

The new album is gonna be the best since Exile! Bank on it!

Riffhard
April 27th, 2005 11:44 PM
glencar Best album since Undercover!
April 28th, 2005 12:43 AM
ResidentMule
quote:

Many US liberals bitch and moan about...

that's right, you never see bitching out of conservatives

quote:
Here's a guy that so disrespects the office of president of the USA that he uses his charisma,charm,and his huge amount of power to get blowjobs from a twenty one year old intern in the Oval office.

case in point.

that happened almost as long ago as the last Stones album. we get it. at least most of the Bush bashers will move on when the next president comes along, for those of us that haven't already learned to live with it (and some of us have)

oh yeah, and a question, when did the term liberal become slander like this? yeah, real open minded of you.
April 28th, 2005 12:48 AM
ResidentMule
quote:

Many US liberals bitch and moan about...

that's right, you never see bitching out of conservatives

quote:
Here's a guy that so disrespects the office of president of the USA that he uses his charisma,charm,and his huge amount of power to get blowjobs from a twenty one year old intern in the Oval office.

case in point.

that happened almost as long ago as the last Stones album. we get it. at least most of the Bush bashers will move on when the next president comes along, for those of us that haven't already learned to live with it (and some of us have)

oh yeah, and a question, when did the term liberal become slander like this? yeah, real open minded of you.
April 28th, 2005 06:33 AM
egon
quote:
glencar wrote:
Best album since dirty work!

April 28th, 2005 09:27 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Best album since Undercover!

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?!

April 28th, 2005 10:38 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
FPM you seem to think that I believe that the USA is always right,and if you don't agree then fuck off! That's not my point at all. Far from it. My point is that the left wingers that gladly trash the nation by walking on it's flag,and continually rant about only what's wrong are doing nothing but fanning anti-American flames,and for what?! I mean what the fuck good does that do? Ever been to Berkley? I have plenty of times,and I can tell you that those idiots(or at least a good percentage of them)really do HATE the USA. Yes,I gladly tell them to fucking move!

I do not,and do not know anyone who does,worship the flag or any other symbols FPM. I do,however,fully respect what the flag represents. Therefore I get rightfully outraged by some fucker that feels that he has the right to disrespect it,and then still line up for foodstamps later in the week,or expect a goverment paid college grant.

You also state that I have somehow turned this thread into a political pissing match. However,it is you that always starts it by posting pictures that you know damned good and well will provoke! LOL! I mean c'mon bro you know that's true!

Clinton? I never mentioned Bubba once in this thread,but now that you mention it allow me to explain conservative's outrage at Bill. Here's a guy that so disrespects the office of president of the USA that he uses his charisma,charm,and his huge amount of power to get blowjobs from a twenty one year old intern in the Oval office. To liberals that is no biggie,but once again it shows a complete lack of respect for the office of president. Simply put,I expect more of my president than that. As I rightfully should. That liberals don't says more about them than anything Bill could ever do. Hey,I voted for the smooth talking scumbag in 1992! I realized how much of a used car salesman he was by 1996! Thank god!

Many US liberals bitch and moan about the evils of their own country,and also the evils of religion. Funny that the real historical facts are that the USA has liberated more people than any other nation in the history of civilization,and Christian charities have contributed more for hummanitarian efforts than any other charity in the world. So please do tell how the USA is so bad,and how religion is so corrupt. Yet,liberals are suppossed to be the enlightened ones that are so concerned for the poor and helpless. Go figure.

I don't blindly follow any dogma or doctrine FPM. I just see the very real reason why things in the Middle East had to change. I thank God that Bush had the balls to actully start to make that change begin. It will take longer than his 8 years to complete,but hey,the GOP will win again in 2008 so I'm not overly concerned. The Dems do not have a positive message,and haven't had one for years. Hence,four election cycles in a row where they have lost more House seats,Senate seats,governorships,mayorships,city council seats,............Liberals will never win until they stop ridiculing people of faith,ignoring the south,and refering to middle America as fly over country,but hey,at least they've got New York and LA locked up! LOL!

Riffhard

Riffhard,
I want to drink a beer with you!!!

As for the pinko you are arguing with, you'll get no where with his kind. He can't be reached. Besides I have absolutely ZERO respect for anyone who would even CONSIDER leaving the United States because their man lost the election...Yeah, that's being an American....Give me a fucking break!!!
April 28th, 2005 10:39 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
FPM you seem to think that I believe that the USA is always right,and if you don't agree then fuck off! That's not my point at all. Far from it. My point is that the left wingers that gladly trash the nation by walking on it's flag,and continually rant about only what's wrong are doing nothing but fanning anti-American flames,and for what?! I mean what the fuck good does that do? Ever been to Berkley? I have plenty of times,and I can tell you that those idiots(or at least a good percentage of them)really do HATE the USA. Yes,I gladly tell them to fucking move!

Riffhard

Riffhard,

As for the pinko you are arguing with, you'll get no where with his kind. He can't be reached. Besides I have absolutely ZERO respect for anyone who would even CONSIDER leaving the United States because their man lost the election...Yeah, that's being an American....Give me a fucking break!!!
April 28th, 2005 11:16 AM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

Riffhard,

PINKO???

I hate to break it to you, but...

Spiro Agnew is DEAD.

Anyway, I prefer the invective "nattering nabob of negativism".

Nobody wanted to leave the country because their man LOST. It was because YOUR man WON. And the fact that he made hundreds of thousands of good Americans seriously consider leaving their homeland says more about him than it does about us. Even NIXON never had that effect on me. With him, I always knew that things would work out in the end. That
sort of optimism is no longer possible.

By the way, your message was so profound that I can see why you would want to post it twice.
April 28th, 2005 11:23 AM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Anyway, I prefer the invective "nattering nabob of negativism".

... didn't Bill Safire write that ?!?!

W- W- W- What ?!?! .....Oh !!!! :

" Becoming Jewish
The pros and cons and how to do it."

" (Please note that if your mother was Jewish before you were born, whether observant or not, then by Jewish Law you are also Jewish, and you do not need to convert. Please contact an Orthodox Rabbi for guidance.)

So, you want to become Jewish. I applaud your goal.

Becoming Jewish is, as you realize, a significant and life-changing event. It is not a small matter by any means.

But before you start, consider a few things. When a Gentile wants to become Jewish, the Rabbis are required to try to dissuade him. Only the very sincere make it through the entire process. And the process can take a long while. It may not turn out to be easy.

Becoming Jewish means that most of what you were taught about spirituality until now will be irrelevant, and in many cases wrong. You must drop the religious beliefs taught you by whatever other religion(s) you once followed or read about. People sometimes ask me, "Can I convert to Judaism and still believe in Jesus?" The answer is no. This is not something negotiable in Judaism. Jewish doctrine about G-d is core and inviolate. Non-Jewish beliefs about G-d invalidate a conversion (and Jesus is a prime example of a non-Jewish belief about G-d, no matter what anyone tells you). So this could be a major change for anyone contemplating conversion to Judaism. If this is difficult for you, then you should not be considering conversion at all.

You must also accept the fact that it is Hashem's Torah that defines what is right and what is wrong, what is spiritual and what is mundane, what elevates a person and what lowers him. Human beings do not make those determinations, and every such decision that a Rabbi makes is based on Torah precedent, i.e., established Jewish Law.

Your life style will also change, as well as the way you think about many things. Even the meaning of some words will change, especially if you have been Christian: words like "confession," "heaven," "patrilineal descent," "Messiah," "savior," and others.

It also means that your relationships will change. Not all your friends will be happy that you've become Jewish. Worse yet, your family members might disown you, as often happens.

When your parents, your siblings, even your children, sit down to eat a meal, you will often not be allowed to join them. You won't even be able to attend some of their joyous occasions. It is forbidden for a Jew to enter most non-Jewish places of worship. If your own baby sister gets married in a church, you will not be able to attend. If you have non-Jewish children from before you converted, you will not be allowed to attend any occasion they make in a church or any religious gathering. (If this occurs, make sure to consult with an Orthodox Rabbi before making any decision. There may be a solution.) Nor will you be allowed to celebrate Christmas or Hallowe'en, or any other religious holiday except the Jewish holidays.

And you will have to learn many rules. You will have to wear less revealing clothing all year round (which in the summer can make you feel hotter); you will have to be concerned wherever you go about the food you can buy and eat; you will have to make sure that you don't carry anything in your pockets outside your home on the Sabbath, and many other considerations. You will need two sets of dishes, two sets of pots and pans (and at least one more set for Passover), and you will have to keep different types of food separate. You will have to wait six hours after eating meat foods before eating dairy foods. Judaism will guide your steps and your thoughts every moment of your waking life.

As a convert to Judaism, you will be a Jew -- a full-fledged Jew. Think about the word "Jew" for a minute. It's a title we bear proudly, yet it's a word that comes from many mouths as a curse and insult. Of course, that's silly. It's like when a little boy thinks he's insulting a girl by calling her "girl!" Not only is it not an insult, but it should be borne proudly and openly.

When I was thirteen years old, my friend and I were riding our bicycles through the side streets of Brooklyn, New York, when some Gentile boy (a little younger than us, it seemed) yelled at us jeeringly, "Jew!" I turned around and yelled back at him, "Thanks!" My friend almost fell off his bike laughing. I couldn't -- and still can't -- understand the attitude of that kid and people like him. I dress in what is an unmistakably Jewish style. I have noticeable payos (sidelocks, as per the Torah's Commandment in Leviticus 19:27). I'm obviously not trying to hide the fact that I'm Jewish. Did he really think I'm embarrassed to be a Jew?

The answer is probably yes. Granted he was a kid, but it is a very prevalent attitude even among some adult groups. In the minds of many people who wouldn't consider themselves racists or bigots, being a Jew is such a lowly thing that they are sure and positive that we must feel degraded about being Jewish. It doesn't help to explain to them that we are proud of being Jews, because they can't see any reason we should be proud of being Jewish.

These days most people don't say things like that out loud anymore. But racism and anti-Semitism still exist, and Jews still suffer from it -- especially converts. I have a friend who almost lost his job because he was a convert. No, it's not what you think. His boss could never have gotten away with firing him because he had converted to Judaism. What happened was a coworker of his was a born-again Christian who felt that my friend should be punished for leaving Christianity to become Jewish. So he filed an accusation of malfeasance, or some such thing, and had my friend hauled before an inquiry panel, expecting him to defend two years' worth of financial decisions from records and memory. This is no reflection on all Christians today. But bear in mind that there are some Christian groups (mostly fundamentalist Protestant, I am told) that work very heavily on missionizing to Jews, and I imagine that they probably dislike people they consider lapsed Christians.

This story is unusual only in the particulars, I fear. There are people out there (not necessarily religious people) who do not like it when non-Jews become Jews. And some of them may be close to you.

Anti-Semitism should not be considered dead at all. It still shows up in various forms and sizes. It doesn't take a Holocaust to harm Jews. Lately the news has been buzzing with bigotry and racial incidents. Bigoted groups are growing in America. Some even call themselves "churches" and claim non-profit status. Many of these groups target Jews in particular.

When you join the Jews, you become equally responsible, and suffer with us together. When Jews have sinned, sometimes all the Jews take part in the punishment."

[ Edited by Fleabit ]

[Edited by Joey]
April 28th, 2005 11:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Hey, I'd never leave the country. But Bush ain't nothing to me. A zero, just another corrupt politician...another blip on the radar.
April 28th, 2005 11:57 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Nobody wanted to leave the country because their man LOST. It was because YOUR man WON. And the fact that he made hundreds of thousands of good Americans seriously consider leaving their homeland says more about him than it does about us. Even NIXON never had that effect on me. With him, I always knew that things would work out in the end. That
sort of optimism is no longer possible.

LOL~ @ teardrip peanutbrain monkey, such overdramatic drivel, I bet your a big hit at the local community theatre, can you sprout tears on command too ?

April 28th, 2005 12:02 PM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

"Nobody wanted to leave the country because their man LOST. It was because YOUR man WON. "

Yeah, that a real difference...

"And the fact that he made hundreds of thousands of good Americans seriously consider leaving their homeland says more about him than it does about us."

All that proves is that there are hundreds of thousands of people in the United States who would never stand up and fight for this country and what they believe in if push comes to shove...They would rather run away like a bunch of little girls...

April 28th, 2005 12:19 PM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

So you're suggesting a civil war?

This whole thing DOES remind me of the 60s, but I was thinking the 1960s, not the 1860s.

April 28th, 2005 12:22 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

LOL~ @ teardrip peanutbrain monkey, such overdramatic drivel, I bet your a big hit at the local community theatre, can you sprout tears on command too ?

You should really stay out of the pool when the grownups are swimming.
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour