ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billy or Chuck? Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 28th, 2004 08:44 AM
Jumping Jack Billy playing with Clapton got me thinking about the Stones next tour. If you could pick between Billy and Chuck for the Stones next tour who would you choose?
April 28th, 2004 08:55 AM
corgi37 Chuck cant do the bum dance.
April 28th, 2004 10:29 AM
Poplar
Billy. more soul - better back up vocals.

April 28th, 2004 10:46 AM
Ben Gurion
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Chuck cant do the bum dance.

It would be fun to watch him try...

Billy should have never left. Fuck Mick T.
April 28th, 2004 11:10 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ben Gurion wrote:
Billy should have never left. Fuck Mick T.

Hey Ben, how's that new Gene Simmons CD I sent to you?
April 28th, 2004 11:20 AM
Ben Gurion
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Hey Ben, how's that new Gene Simmons CD I sent to you?

Do I know you? I couldn't have been THAT drunk, could I?

April 28th, 2004 11:26 AM
MrPleasant Mary Had A Little Lamb

Mary had a little lamb,
his fleece was white as snow,
Ev'rywhere that Mary went,
that lamb was sur to go.
And you could hear them singing:
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la.

He followed her to school one day,
it was against the rules,
Made the children laugh and play to
see a lamb at school.

You could hear them singing:

Soon the teacher turned it out,
still it lingered near,
Waited patiently about till
Mary did appear.

You could hear them singing:

"But the lamb loved Mary so",
the eager children cry,
"And Mary loves the lamb, you know",
the teacher did reply.

And you could hear them singing:
(Ev'ry body singing)

(Music & lyrics: Paul McCartney)

April 28th, 2004 12:15 PM
ResidentMule ehh, Chuck hasn't done anything with the Stones as good as his work with the Allman Brothers or live with Gov't Mule. i never paid a whole lot of attention to Billy, but I missed those years by about a decade
April 28th, 2004 12:19 PM
cwatts0462 I WOULD CHOOSE BILLY
BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
April 28th, 2004 12:19 PM
jb Billy Preston has more groove in his pinky than Chuck's fat body...Chuck is a mother-fucker who is the self-appointed musical director for the Stones....he, along with Ronnie and keith, have ruined the Stones.
April 28th, 2004 12:34 PM
Snappy McJack For some odd reason, Chuck has managed to eek his way into the subconscience of the Stones. Basically, they NEED him up there. Really sad, but it's true.

He adds no value to the Stones. He's cranked up to 10 while Keith and Ron are at about 5. I guess it's like that so he can cover K's and R's butts while one is kicking up his leg and banging his head, chest, thighs, and knees with his fists and the other has this "orgasm" face, acting like he's "into" it.

Have you heard his jingle-jangle shit on "Start Me Up"? What is that? Why is it being played. And who started this trend that if you are an oldies act, you need X back-up musicians and vocalists in the band?
April 28th, 2004 12:35 PM
Jumping Jack But what do you really think, LOL?
April 28th, 2004 12:39 PM
jb
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
For some odd reason, Chuck has managed to eek his way into the subconscience of the Stones. Basically, they NEED him up there. Really sad, but it's true.

He adds no value to the Stones. He's cranked up to 10 while Keith and Ron are at about 5. I guess it's like that so he can cover K's and R's butts while one is kicking up his leg and banging his head, chest, thighs, and knees with his fists and the other has this "orgasm" face, acting like he's "into" it.

Have you heard his jingle-jangle shit on "Start Me Up"? What is that? Why is it being played. And who started this trend that if you are an oldies act, you need X back-up musicians and vocalists in the band?

You are 100% correct..they think they need him or he would not be there....feckin pathetic....I am watching the great L&G dvd on my lap top...I just can't believe how dramatically Keith has declined....
April 28th, 2004 12:43 PM
steel driving hammer Ian.

http://www.macspages.com/faces.htm

Now THATS a Word To Your Mother Baby.
April 28th, 2004 12:48 PM
Snappy McJack Interesting. I think it's a fact that they wouldn't use the older keyboardists/pianists because of the fact that:

A) Chuck is the musical director and pace setter
B) Chuck gives them the "clean" sound
April 28th, 2004 12:50 PM
steel driving hammer They really don't need that clean pretty sound.

It's way too standard for them.

Put some boogie beat in it.

Chuck tried to boogie in Mean Disposition but, to no cigar.
April 28th, 2004 12:55 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
They really don't need that clean pretty sound.

It's way too standard for them.

Put some boogie beat in it.

Chuck tried to boogie in Mean Disposition but, to no cigar.

I didn't say that is was any good. I just think that is the reason why he's on board for the rest of the Stones time here on Earth.

April 28th, 2004 01:56 PM
doo doo doo Dude Chuck has unfortunatly become the surogate Stu for the band. I just hope he never attempts Billy's trademarked "cock dance" with Jagger.
April 28th, 2004 02:18 PM
Soldatti Billy!

Chuck go home...
April 28th, 2004 03:27 PM
sandrew If Chuck weren't there, the whole thing would fall apart. Be glad the guitars are at 5, because you'd hear a lot more clams if they were any higher.

I'll buy the argument that Keith and Ronnie use him as a crutch. Just like they do the horns and the backup singers.

Frankly, I don't think they're capable of carrying the band rhythmically, even when they're forced. That's why the B-stage versions of songs like "When the Whip Comes Down" are so dreadful.
April 28th, 2004 03:31 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Chuck has unfortunatly become the surogate Stu for the band. I just hope he never attempts Billy's trademarked "cock dance" with Jagger.

Yes!!!! Go Chucky go!!!!!

Cock dance like we know you really want to...

Otherwise....piss off....
April 28th, 2004 03:35 PM
jb Billy's penis could be used to strangle Chuck and end all of this once and for all.
April 28th, 2004 04:29 PM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
jb wrote:
Billy Preston has more groove in his pinky than Chuck's fat body...Chuck is a mother-fucker who is the self-appointed musical director for the Stones....he, along with Ronnie and keith, have ruined the Stones.

You will loose your friend Rik if you will say that again. But you are right.

I will no Chuck, no Billy. I will Mac back. I talked to Mac 3 years ago and I saw his fire in his eyes when we talked about the `81 american tour. I am sure he will bring the Boogie Woogie back to the Stones.
April 28th, 2004 04:42 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
Billy Preston has more groove in his pinky than Chuck's fat body...Chuck is a mother-fucker who is the self-appointed musical director for the Stones....he, along with Ronnie and keith, have ruined the Stones.

Josh! I know you don't mean that!
WE all want chuck~!
April 28th, 2004 07:43 PM
KeithRichards210 In two words:

Fuck Chuck.
April 28th, 2004 07:43 PM
TomL BILLY

BILLY

BILLY
April 28th, 2004 08:19 PM
CousinCocaine I would go for Mac or one of those new younger players.

Billy would at least make a change but unfortunately it seems those days are gone - the Stones don't want to change their back line-up anymore.
Personally I think this is a mistake. They get older and the playin weaker. So they could make up for this with some new hot musicans !
CC
April 28th, 2004 09:45 PM
gotdablouse Yes, someone shoot Chuck, where's Mark Chapman when you need him ?! Or maybe a tree well crush him while he's hugging it; whatever works to to get rid of the dummy who thinks plink plonking around on JJF or When the Whip is a good idea. Musical director or not, that guy has absoluty ZERO taste, ZERO artistic sense, he's just a glorified piano technician. How Mick can suffer such a foole and allow that to happen is mind-boggling!

Billy is still amazing as seen in the George Harrison Tribute, amazing singing and keys. He does look a bit like Bo Diddley now though ;-)
April 28th, 2004 10:37 PM
sandrew Oh, good grief. If it were 1978, all you Chuck haters would be lauding Keith for firing "clever bastards" like Billy Preston (his description). Now, all of a sudden, he's the real deal. Puh-leeze.
April 28th, 2004 10:46 PM
Mel Belli Testing the new me.

Mel Belli/sandrew
Page: 1 2