ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones drug bust movie Return to archive
April 26th, 2004 11:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rock drugs trial 'made into film'
BBC
The band were known for their anti-establishment stance
The notorious drugs bust which resulted in the arrests of Rolling Stones members Keith Richards and Mick Jagger is to be made into a film, say reports.
Actor Nigel Havers will play his real-life father, Lord Havers, who was the defence barrister at the 1967 trial.

The pair were given prison sentences for possessing drugs, but these were later quashed, with Jagger given a conditional discharge.

The Independent on Sunday says US network HBO has commissioned the film.

The newspaper says Nick Fisher, who created the BBC Two male mid-life crisis drama Manchild, is writing the script.

Nigel Havers thought of the idea for the film

Havers also starred in Manchild.

"It's a quirky bit of English history, but it has international appeal - 1967 was just an incredible year and this incident was a very significant turning point in history and the way the media works," Fisher told the Independent on Sunday.

The arrest and subsequent trial of Jagger and Richards split the establishment, with some commentators questioning the severity of the original sentence.

Mr Fisher told the newspaper it was Nigel Havers who gave him the idea for the film.

"It's a bit of family history for him [Havers]. Although Jagger and Richards are central, I'd like a lot of the story not to revolve around just them. The real key to it all is Michael Havers," he told the Independent on Sunday.

"It was a very life-changing experience for him. He was the most expensive silk in the country and the pinnacle of the establishment," he added.

Havers' father Michael went on to become the Attorney General.

The roles of Jagger, Richards and Jagger's then-girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, will be cast next year.
April 27th, 2004 02:42 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
"Although Jagger and Richards are central, I'd like a lot of the story not to revolve around just them. The real key to it all is Michael Havers"

I was afraid we'd reach to this statement Really Mr. Havers, what do you think would be a crowd-puller, the Havers story or the Jagger/Richards one?

quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The roles of Jagger, Richards and Jagger's then-girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, will be cast next year.

Hmmm, let's see... Johnny for Keith (most definitely), how about Jude Law for Mick and... Marianne's a tricky one. Who'd you pick?
April 27th, 2004 02:44 AM
FotiniD And come to think of it, isn't it rather peculiar that a full blown movie about the Stones has not been made yet? I don't know why, but I've always got it in a corner of my mind, that their life and career is movie-material and it's rather weird nobody has taken the chance yet..

Come on, even the Lord of the Rings has been put on the screens
April 27th, 2004 03:01 AM
exile I would rather see a film about the entire history of the stones ....but i am definitely not complaining

I think its a great idea

Who do you think would be good to play Mick?

Who do you think would be good to play Keith?

April 27th, 2004 03:16 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I was afraid we'd reach to this statement Really Mr. Havers, what do you think would be a crowd-puller, the Havers story or the Jagger/Richards one?

Hmmm, let's see... Johnny for Keith (most definitely), how about Jude Law for Mick and... Marianne's a tricky one. Who'd you pick?

well fotini you are probably right - tho i think the movie will have more substance if reference is also made to havers - from what i know and reading between the lines of TTM's post it seems Havers was a pillar of conservative society at the time but the actions of News of the World and his getting to know mick and keith may have had some effect on his outlook - this would illustrate very well how the case had an effect on public opinion with regards to "pop stars"/drugs and the trustworthiness of the press - so i don't think it is such a bad thing - certainly it will put more "meat" into the story

yeah you'd think johnny but if it's a british production they may go with some local talent

marianne?? how about Courtney Love?? (LOL) i mean, she's got the blond hair, the big tits and the blow job mouth

re casting the question is: Whose producing it and how much money do they have?? - tho johnny'd probably do it for the glory
April 27th, 2004 09:19 AM
FotiniD
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
re casting the question is: Whose producing it and how much money do they have?? - tho johnny'd probably do it for the glory

I'm sure Johnny wouldn't need to be asked twice to jump in and play Keith Richards. And I too would like to see finally a movie that's all about the Stones - what in the world are movie producers thinking out there?

Hey guys, I'm willing to write the script
April 27th, 2004 10:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
yeah you'd think johnny but if it's a british production they may go with some local talent

It's become an HBO project.
April 27th, 2004 04:39 PM
gypsy Courtney Love is a drugged up skank. Marianne looked pristine and pretty during that era. I think Scarlett Johannsen...she has the porcelein skin, the dsl lips, big breasts...and she can act.
April 27th, 2004 04:44 PM
Joey " I think Scarlett Johannsen...she has the porcelein skin, the dsl lips, big breasts...and she can act. "

Oh Honey .....................................

You Go Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 27th, 2004 06:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hey. John Bon Jovi is an actor, maybe he should play Mick.
April 27th, 2004 11:45 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Courtney Love is a drugged up skank. Marianne looked pristine and pretty during that era. I think Scarlett Johannsen...she has the porcelein skin, the dsl lips, big breasts...and she can act.

gypsy my suggestion was made very much with tounge in cheek...

who's Scarlett Johannsen (she sounds hot)??

ok - i found out - she would look good in the part
[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
April 28th, 2004 05:11 AM
exile Mick Jagger i think is the hardest to cast
i thought the story about them becoming tax exiles living in france and recording a song would make a great movie

oh well

we have already got all those crap movies about the Beatles
April 28th, 2004 11:21 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
exile wrote:
we have already got all those crap movies about the Beatles

Who needs those soap operas? At least there are movies that reflect the RS spirit.