ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jerry Lee Lewis: ‘Satisaction? Which one’s that?’ Return to archive
April 25th, 2004 05:39 AM
F505 In the sixties Lewis was in London to record a double album bringing together a dazzling array of musicians. Throughout the sessions, Lewis looked for ideas for tracks. Someone suggested the Rolling Stones.
‘Okay, which track?’ Lewis asked.
The musicians proposed ‘Satisfaction’, to which Lewis demanded, ‘Which one’s that?’
The others flabbergasted, ended up laughing, whereas Lewis was furious. He sincerely thought they were teasing him. His anger grew when he found out that the song did actually exist. He made everyone leave the studio apart from Rory (Gallagher), whom he had read correctly. Rory wasn’t the one of the arrogant, conceiled crowd you met in London. Alone with him Lewis asked to write out the words. On reading the lyrics and grasping their connotations, Lewis exclaimed, ‘They got to Number One with that, and I got myself arrested for bullshit!’

(From: Rory Gallagher, A Biography, by JN Coghe, Mercier Press)
April 25th, 2004 06:55 AM
J.J.Flash WOW, brilliant! Thanks for posting that dutch brother. I would like to be there, just to see the way Jerry said that.
April 25th, 2004 05:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Did JLL record it????
April 25th, 2004 05:33 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Did JLL record it????

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Did "The Killer" record a version of Satisfaction?
April 25th, 2004 06:07 PM
Nasty Habits Sadly, the Killer never recorded any Jagger-Richards cuts in his prime.

April 25th, 2004 06:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Sadly, the Killer never recorded any Jagger-Richards cuts in his prime.

In his prime? So in his "un-prime"?
April 25th, 2004 06:16 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

In his prime? So in his "un-prime"?

LOL

You are always funny fellow Motels!

Cheers!
April 25th, 2004 06:19 PM
J.J.Flash And thank you for the answer Nasty!
April 25th, 2004 07:35 PM
Nasty Habits From what I understand JLL does a version of "Evening Gown" on his latest CD, whenever that's gonna come out. I've been hearing about it for some time now, and am beginning to wonder if it's releasable or not. The JLL of today is certainly in his unprime.

He made similar statements about Dylan in the 70s. When he recorded Bob's song "Rita Mae" he reportedly said that that was a great song and asked who wrote it. The producers responded that it was Bob Dylan. JLL remarked that the boy had a lot of promise and that the Killer would be happy to record any song that he wrote.

April 25th, 2004 07:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
From what I understand JLL does a version of "Evening Gown" on his latest CD, whenever that's gonna come out.

Well don't Mick and Keith both actually play on that record???
April 25th, 2004 08:08 PM
Nasty Habits Yeah, that's the press, but I've been hearing about that record for so long I am beginning to have my doubts about it - if it were hot material or exciting or sellable, it would have been out by now.

God knows I would love to be proven wrong, but he also knows that the last really good JLL studio album was released in 1972.

April 25th, 2004 08:23 PM
Gazza >Sadly, the Killer never recorded any Jagger-Richards cuts in his prime.

Mick and Keith werent writing that much in 1957 as far as I'm aware!!
April 25th, 2004 11:04 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Yeah, that's the press, but I've been hearing about that record for so long I am beginning to have my doubts about it - if it were hot material or exciting or sellable, it would have been out by now.

"Evening Gown" reportedly features Mick and Woody (playing pedal steel)- I think Keith may be on a different song from the same sessions. The Stones recorded with the Killer when they were in Nashville - I think in '02.

As far as being out by now if it was any good, ALL accounts of the Hubert Sumlin sessions with Keith, Clapton, Levon Helm et al are that the tracks are amazing - and it STILL hasn't been released.

And actually I think I read that the Killer's album is called "Old Glory" and may be out in May. Hope so!

quote:

God knows I would love to be proven wrong, but he also knows that the last really good JLL studio album was released in 1972.

Matter of taste, I guess - there aren't ANY JLL albums I like from beginning to end, but there are lots of things I love on "Rockin' My Life Away" and "Youngblood". The only time I've ever seen the Killer live was in '95, he had the E Street Band backing him up, and he was kickin' ass and takin' names.

I'm figuring "Old Glory" will have some decent stuff, some schlock, and that I'll love "Evening Gown", which will be great AND schlocky. I can almost hear it now!

Now then, I b'lieve the ol' Killer has a message for yuh regardin' that damn remark about no good albums since '72.

April 26th, 2004 02:11 AM
F505 According to Rory's biography Lewis DID record Satisfaction: "Calming down he (Lewis) asked for an electric piano to be brought in, rehearsed the song, called back the musicians, and after a cursory once-over, they recorded. He hammered the keyboard with his feet and came up with a good cover, which was later to appear uncut on volume two."

In another chapter Rory's adventures with the Stones are described. They called him from Rotterdam, asking him to join them in a studio session, where they were recording Black and Blue. Rory: "In the end I played with them for two nights and we had a great time.In fact it was more like a jamming session. We didn't do anything precise, like 'here's this song'. And I really liked Keith Richard as a guitarist." The track Rory played on was called Miss You. The Stone musician he appreciated most was Brian Jones and Jones' death bothered him. Rory was in his own way the epitome of a rolling stone.

April 26th, 2004 04:33 AM
WolfgangG Jerry Lee Lewis did record "Satisfaction" in 1973 and it was released on the album "The Session".

The Killer was almost certainly NOT in his prime in 1957, the best stuff was recorded in the 70's. Go out and buy the 10-CD Boxset "Mercury Smashes & Rockin' Sessions".

Wolfgang
April 26th, 2004 06:16 AM
bez85 Shit, the best stuff he did was the Sun Records stuff..classics all of it..you don't fuck with the killa!
April 26th, 2004 06:22 AM
WolfgangG @ bez85:

Do you know ANYTHING of the other stuff? The Sun recordings are definately his worst.

Wolfgang
[Edited by WolfgangG]
April 26th, 2004 06:47 AM
bez85 I've got some of his seventies stuff, but I'm in love with the fifties stuff..has more soul to it..it's all amatter of opinion though..of course anything that Lewis did with James Burton was Killa!
April 26th, 2004 07:22 AM
WolfgangG
quote:
bez85 wrote:
I've got some of his seventies stuff, but I'm in love with the fifties stuff..has more soul to it..it's all amatter of opinion though..of course anything that Lewis did with James Burton was Killa!

This is not a matter of opinion! The 50's were just wild, no soul in it at all. In the 70's he was a wreck! The Killer himself thinks that his Smash recordings were far superior to the Sun cuts!

Wolfgang
April 26th, 2004 11:45 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Sadly, the Killer never recorded any Jagger-Richards cuts in his prime.

Mick and Keith werent writing that much in 1957 as far as I'm aware!!

JLL's prime extends well into the late 60s, G. Live the motherfucker could do it better than anyone else right up into the 80s. If the meat man had had a producer with any brains his 60s and early 70s output could have easily outstripped his Sun material. That no one thought to match JLL with Dylan or JLL with J/R in the late 60s/early 70s is a god damn shame. 'Course, the Killer's massive ego had SOMETHING to do with that, but still. . . .

As far as the Sun material being JLL's worst, that is just absolute nonsense. There are great huge globs of soul in that material, and it covers more ground in terms of Americana than anyone in rock and roll did up until Dylan did the Basement Tapes.

The Smash stuff is genius, and the Mercury material generally would be if it weren't Nashvilled, but to say the Sun material are JLL's worst recordings is historical reactionary revisionism to a highly perplexing degree.

And I cannot listen to Youngblood. I think it sucks . . . JLL is SO much better than that hack ass boring record . . . Rockin' My Life Away is live, and the Killer can cut all the live shit he wants because only the Stones are on his level of performing rock and roll live . . .

Not saying that there's not good tracks after '72 but really, the double tracked vocals ruin that album with Rita Mae on it as surely as the dull tempos and flat production wreck Youngblood. The last really consistent studio record JLL recorded was The Killer Rocks On.

And what copy of the Session has Satisfaction on it, because I wants it!

Think about it one time!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
April 26th, 2004 11:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Course, the Killer's massive ego had SOMETHING to do with that, but still. . . .

Jerry an egomaniac? NO!, not Jerry, Say it ain't so.
April 26th, 2004 01:53 PM
WolfgangG
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

JLL's prime extends well into the late 60s, G. Live the motherfucker could do it better than anyone else right up into the 80s. If the meat man had had a producer with any brains his 60s and early 70s output could have easily outstripped his Sun material. That no one thought to match JLL with Dylan or JLL with J/R in the late 60s/early 70s is a god damn shame. 'Course, the Killer's massive ego had SOMETHING to do with that, but still. . . .

As far as the Sun material being JLL's worst, that is just absolute nonsense. There are great huge globs of soul in that material, and it covers more ground in terms of Americana than anyone in rock and roll did up until Dylan did the Basement Tapes.

The Smash stuff is genius, and the Mercury material generally would be if it weren't Nashvilled, but to say the Sun material are JLL's worst recordings is historical reactionary revisionism to a highly perplexing degree.

And I cannot listen to Youngblood. I think it sucks . . . JLL is SO much better than that hack ass boring record . . . Rockin' My Life Away is live, and the Killer can cut all the live shit he wants because only the Stones are on his level of performing rock and roll live . . .

Not saying that there's not good tracks after '72 but really, the double tracked vocals ruin that album with Rita Mae on it as surely as the dull tempos and flat production wreck Youngblood. The last really consistent studio record JLL recorded was The Killer Rocks On.

And what copy of the Session has Satisfaction on it, because I wants it!

Think about it one time!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

At last, a man who has knowledge of the Killer's post-Sun-material!! I don't mean the Sun material is bad. There were some great recordings, but what shakes my nerves is that 'special' Sun Studio sound if you know what I mean. Still I think his Sun cuts have less soul than the Smash and Mercury material. Jerry Lee Lewis was just a wild boy in the 50's but it's his whole body of work which makes him one of the greatest artists ever. He didn't stop in the 60's as some people think.

"Satisfaction" was released on an now out-of-print Double-CD release of "The Session". Because I am a real nice cat, you can listen to it here:

http://www.chuckberry.de/Satisfaction.mp3

I think it is not one of his better recordings, but still nice and somewhat strange to listen to.

Wolfgang
[Edited by WolfgangG]
April 26th, 2004 04:08 PM
Nasty Habits SWEET!

That must be a bonus track because it's certainly not on the original LP!

No "Headstone on My Grave" but it's definitely not too bad either - verra weird to hear the Killa use an electric piano, huh?

Imagine if they would have unleashed the guy on High and Dry, It's Not Easy, I'm Free or Dear Doctor! Or a full tilt slammin 180 mile 19th Nervous Breakdown. The mind boggles.

I think I get your point about the Sun stuff (wild doesn't get any wilder than, say, Sexy Ways or Big Leg Woman, but then again, wild is a key element of all good music and no one is wilder than the Ferriday Fireball), but some of his Sun Jimmy Rodgers cuts are deeply soulful, as is the solo session he cut at Sun (and his version of In the Mood cut as the Hawk is an abject lesson in minimalist swing).

Has anyone here heard the incredible recordings cut for the rock and roll version of Othello that Jerry Lee was involved in in the late 60s where he plays Iago!

LUST IN THE BLOOD, RONNIE!

p.s. Did you here the one about the man who married his 14 year old cousin and found out she wasn't a virgin! Think about it one time, Myra! Write yourself another book, baby!

April 26th, 2004 11:27 PM
WolfgangG
quote:

Has anyone here heard the incredible recordings cut for the rock and roll version of Othello that Jerry Lee was involved in in the late 60s where he plays Iago!

LUST IN THE BLOOD, RONNIE!

Yeah, they are out-of-print as well, but "available" here www.dolorian.co.uk .
[Edited by WolfgangG]
April 27th, 2004 01:09 AM
Sleepy Joe Presley Hey Wolfgang, I've got a yellow vinyl copy of Duets, is it any good? Got it at the thrift shop and have not listened to it?
April 27th, 2004 02:22 AM
WolfgangG
quote:
Sleepy Joe Presley wrote:
Hey Wolfgang, I've got a yellow vinyl copy of Duets, is it any good? Got it at the thrift shop and have not listened to it?

It's okay. Unfortunately Elvis Presley imitator Orion is on most of the tracks on it (the real Elvis Presley would have been better!), but it's still a nice album. One of the highlights is to me the duet with Charlie Rich on "Sail Away".

Wolfgang