ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Toxic Twins.....Glimmer Twins......Come on now Aerosmith. Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 24th, 2004 12:56 AM
IanBillen
I heard some tracks from the new Aerosmith album called Honkin on Bo-Bo. I thought they were noisey. Noisey as in not alot of feeling to the music. I mean I used to love when Aerosmith rocked but this was just alot of them trying to sound raw without really sounding real with it anymore. I think Aerosmith put out this blues album to try and win back the industies thoughts on their being repetative and all the kid (10-15 year olds)appeal likeness that has basically been the majority of their fan base for the past 6 or 7 years. Aerosmith used to be taken somewhat seriously. They used to put out great music. Not all the time but alot of albums were really good. Now they just irritate me. I used to love them. They were great to have around and pass the time when The Stones were not doing anything. However, I just can't stand Steven Tyler's voice anymore or the whole Steven Tyler/Joe Perry rip off of the Mick and Keith
thing. They call themselves the Toxic Twins....come on now....isn't that a litle much as compared to Mick and Keith's Glimmer Twins nick name.
Anybody's thoughts?
Ian
April 24th, 2004 01:15 AM
Taptrick
I agree with some of what you have said. I saw Aerosmith 3 times before Permanent Vacation came out and the attitude is completely different now. i still like them and think this album is a step in the right direction. For me tracks like Movin' Out and Hangman's Jury are long gone. But I've heard them called the Toxic Twins for around 20 years - I think that was a media tag more than something they created...not sure.

whoa boy don't you lie on the track-a-lacka...
whoa boy don't you lie on the track
[Edited by Taptrick]
April 24th, 2004 01:56 AM
beer aerosmith had some lady write them a #1 hit. the same lady that writes hits for Backstreet boys and Britney Spears. i will have to refer to my Rock and Roll rule book, but i have a feeling that this is very Un-rock and roll. A crime punishable by flushing any cred they managed to establish, right down the toilet.Have they no fucking shame?? Remember that Super bowl crap?I mean seriously, that guy Tyler made millions off of music videos that used his OWN DAUGHTER as a sex object.

and don't bother to point out the Stones walking on dangerous ground cuz i realize that too.
April 24th, 2004 02:51 AM
Taptrick

Yeah the next thing you know they'll be singing songs about not caring if a girl is 14 years old and doing duets with justin Timberlake.

April 24th, 2004 01:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
They call themselves the Toxic Twins....come on now....isn't that a litle much as compared to Mick and Keith's Glimmer Twins nick name.

Well I don't think they coined themselves with that.
April 24th, 2004 01:32 PM
Bloozehound When that new aerosmith album came out I heard some interview on the radio with tyler and perry.

I wasn't really following what they were saying but an expression Tyler used caught my ear.

They were talking about touring and Tyler says something like ...

"being on the road, you're just trying to get your YA YA's off everynight"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, and think did he really have to say "YA YA's" ?

And how do these asshats get by with plagerizing the Stones image like they have for years. And it's all image cuz their music sucks shit.

All image, what cheeze dicks. You'd think after 30 years they would've come up with their own thing, instead tyler still wants to dress and act like Mick circa 1972.

Mick doesn't even dress like that anymore lol

April 24th, 2004 04:12 PM
Taptrick

I don't think they have palgerized the Stones anymore than the Stones plagerized Johnson, Berry, or Perkins. If anything I see Aero as a mixture of blues/R&B, bubblegum, and what your calling plagerized Stones. I'd rather they stick with the Stones-like stuff than chew the bubblegum.

April 24th, 2004 04:35 PM
Bloozehound Image man

I was talking about their look/attitude, in response to the "toxic twins" reference. Their fascination with the Stones/Glimmer Twins is downright scary.

Musically there's no question

It doesn't matter who they're plagerizing cuz they suck big, long Ron Jermy-sized donkey dix

Their first few albums (wings, rocks, toys) were great, but DAMN they went to shit after that and remained shit for 25-30 years. At least the Stones had 20 years of making great, solid albums.

and all that power ballad crap, there's NO Excuse for that

simply unredeemable

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 24th, 2004 08:22 PM
J.J.Flash I bought 2 years ago their live album recorded in the 70's, "Aerosmith - Live Bootleg". At the time, I had to admit the helluva band they were, hard and vicious. But, since then, after I heard some affronts said by one of those losers, I never had guts enough to play that shit again on my stereo. Of course, I ain't talkin' about Joe or Tyler. Both always made public their love and admiration for the Stones. I don't know the name of the supid who said those bad things. Could anybody help me on it?
April 24th, 2004 08:46 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
simply unredeemable

[Edited by Bloozehound]

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

April 25th, 2004 12:51 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well I don't think they coined themselves with that.

I thought they did? This is why I was so irritated
with it.
Ian
April 25th, 2004 01:03 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

I don't think they have palgerized the Stones anymore than the Stones plagerized Johnson, Berry, or Perkins. If anything I see Aero as a mixture of blues/R&B, bubblegum, and what your calling plagerized Stones. I'd rather they stick with the Stones-like stuff than chew the bubblegum.

Well at first their style was a mix of Faces/Rolling Stones. In the late 80's and 90's it expaneded farther fronm their original roots. It isn't the comparison of music with The Stones that got me so much by then it was the attitude,
and look. Steven always dressed like mick Circa 1972. He was always in the camera with his face as only Jagger used to do shakin his pointing finger as Jagger is so much noted for.
Perry with the ciggarette always hanging out the side of his
mouth as Keith. Perry envolopes himself as Keith Richards.
and not only does Toxic Twins sound much too close
to the glimmer twins. But they are also supposably
noted as "The bad boys from Boston" isn't this a little similar to "The Bad Boys of Rock n Roll".....

Come-on Steven Tyler used to carry a picture of Mick Jagger in his back pocket claiming he was Micks brother..... This is fact. Right from Steven Tylers mouth.
He claims to have gotten his ass kicked at a party once for
it when someone called his bluff and he stopped doing it
after that.
It's all there.
Ian

April 25th, 2004 02:15 AM
Bloozehound SIMPLY UNREDEEMABLE

April 25th, 2004 06:38 AM
J.J.Flash By the way, I think Keith came up with the idea of "we are the Glimmer Twins".
April 25th, 2004 10:04 AM
justforyou "The Glimmer Twins" ?

The production team known to the world as "The Glimmer Twins" consists of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, so dubbed because of a chance encounter with an elderly woman on vacation, who thought she recognized one of the Stones, but only had a "glimmer" of the real identity of her find.

At least that's what it says on http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/rollingstones-faq/part1/
April 25th, 2004 10:38 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
beer wrote:
aerosmith had some lady write them a #1 hit.

Diane Warren's "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" from the Armageddon Soundtrack. It was #1 in the US for 4 weeks.

Some other hit songs she wrote include "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship, "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher, "When I See You Smile" by Bad English, and "I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)" by Meatloaf.
April 25th, 2004 12:30 PM
MRD8 This is another moronic thread started by somebody who doesn't have their facts straight...the press dubbed Aerosmith the "toxic twins" after their excessive drug use years ago...you don't see that term on their website or any of their albums, do you? The fact is Aerosmith have released THREE albums of new material since the Stones last graced us with a album of completely new material in 1997...plus they contribute new songs to soundtracks...I just got a DVD of their show in Toronto on April 22nd and they rock their asses off...as good as any of the shows on the Stones Licks tour...stop worrying about other bands "ripping off" the Stones...the Stones ripped off acts in their career and are the first to admit it!
April 25th, 2004 01:26 PM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
This is another moronic thread started by somebody who doesn't have their facts straight...the press dubbed Aerosmith the "toxic twins" after their excessive drug use years ago...you don't see that term on their website or any of their albums, do you? The fact is Aerosmith have released THREE albums of new material since the Stones last graced us with a album of completely new material in 1997...plus they contribute new songs to soundtracks...I just got a DVD of their show in Toronto on April 22nd and they rock their asses off...as good as any of the shows on the Stones Licks tour...stop worrying about other bands "ripping off" the Stones...the Stones ripped off acts in their career and are the first to admit it!

...plus they contribute new songs to soundtracks...I just got a DVD of their show in Toronto on April 22nd and they rock their asses off...

What does a girl have to do to get a copy of that show????? I LOVED the Aerosmith show at the Nut House last weekend. How's your copy of Toronto MRD8?
April 25th, 2004 01:35 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Diane Warren's "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" from the Armageddon Soundtrack. It was #1 in the US for 4 weeks.

Some other hit songs she wrote include "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship, "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher, "When I See You Smile" by Bad English, and "I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)" by Meatloaf.

Starship
Cher
Meatloaf
Bad English

Why does it not surprise me to learn that Aerosmith is in bed with these cheeze dix

Maybe because they're all power balladiers

HAw HAw HAw!
April 25th, 2004 03:54 PM
MRD8 Martha,
I'll B&P the April 22nd Aerosmith Toronto DVD after I get some of these other B&P's out of the way...its an excellent, kick ass show...probably close to the one you recently saw!
April 25th, 2004 04:28 PM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Martha,
I'll B&P the April 22nd Aerosmith Toronto DVD after I get some of these other B&P's out of the way...its an excellent, kick ass show...probably close to the one you recently saw!

YOU my friend are EL-COOLO!!!!!! Thanks!!! I'll be in touch. :-)

Maaaaaaaaaartha!
April 25th, 2004 05:02 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Is this the same Warren? If I remember correctly, Rick Nielsen said the record company forced her on them.

9. Ghost Town (Nielsen/Warren) - 4:11
April 25th, 2004 05:55 PM
Navin
The real "Toxic Twins" are Keith Richards & Ron Wood

April 25th, 2004 07:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Navin wrote:
The real "Toxic Twins" are Keith Richards & Ron Wood

Oh no!!!! Ron has NO claim at all to that title. He choked, lost it, and went into REHAB!. He couldn't follow through. He ain't no "toxic twin". Even Elvis died on the pot. No Virgina there are NO toxic twins. Drugs and Alcohol always have the last laugh....they ARE the "toxic twins" ...and their messenger is the Grim Reaper. Dirty Harry says "the question you have to ask yourself is do I feel lucky".

Yeah I do.

April 26th, 2004 01:03 AM
IanBillen
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
This is another moronic thread started by somebody who doesn't have their facts straight...the press dubbed Aerosmith the "toxic twins" after their excessive drug use years ago...you don't see that term on their website or any of their albums, do you? The fact is Aerosmith have released THREE albums of new material since the Stones last graced us with a album of completely new material in 1997...plus they contribute new songs to soundtracks...I just got a DVD of their show in Toronto on April 22nd and they rock their asses off...as good as any of the shows on the Stones Licks tour...stop worrying about other bands "ripping off" the Stones...the Stones ripped off acts in their career and are the first to admit it!

Ripping someone off and influencing a band are two entirely different things my good friend.

For example: The Stones are influenced by many as for say
....Robert Johnson musically. Mick incorporates a little of James Brown and even Marylin Monroe in his style and sure The Stones have done things in the past to be up with the times like alot of bands and
still do both sonically and in other ways. But it has it's limit.

However, I just can't see Mick carrying a picture
of say Buddy Holly in his back pocket claiming
to be his brother.
I can't see Keith dressing like Hank Williams
Junior and flaunting it in everyones face.
This is what Aerosmith has done basically.

-There is a big difference there-

April 26th, 2004 01:10 AM
polksalad69
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I can't see Keith dressing like Hank Williams
Junior and flaunting it in everyones face.

That's a scary thought but not to worry, that's Kid Rock's job since he is that assclown's son.
April 26th, 2004 02:05 AM
beer hey polksalad, did Hank III do something musically with The Melvins? i remember hearin somethin about it. maybe he played on their latest album?
April 26th, 2004 04:47 AM
MRD8 Ian,
You make it sound like if there hadn't been any Rolling Stones then Aerosmith would never have been formed...they might have copied them in the beginning but they have established their own identity LONG ago...you don't see Joe Perry standing around posing now instead of playing his guitar! LOL
April 27th, 2004 01:17 AM
IanBillen
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Ian,
You make it sound like if there hadn't been any Rolling Stones then Aerosmith would never have been formed...they might have copied them in the beginning but they have established their own identity LONG ago...you don't see Joe Perry standing around posing now instead of playing his guitar! LOL

If their was no Rolling Stones I can honestly say Aerosmith would of definately been a different band. They were reported and dubbed "The poor Man's Rolling Stones" in the seventies for a reason.
Keith plays differently every tour. He has a sound all his own....whether he is strumming his strings continuously or not. Perry can not achieve a trademark sound as much as Keith has established as his own no matter how he plays his guitar. That is what is most important when looking at a classic rock guitarist. It's his sound when he does hit those strings. And as Keith states, making music is not only knowing when to play the thing like there is no tommorow but it is also knowing where to leave gaps in your play as well.
Ian
April 27th, 2004 01:26 AM
polksalad69
quote:
beer wrote:
hey polksalad, did Hank III do something musically with The Melvins? i remember hearin somethin about it. maybe he played on their latest album?

not sure - pm check
Page: 1 2