ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Woman forgets Stones, remembers coat Return to archive
April 23rd, 2004 04:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Forgetting the Rolling Stones
Reporter: (online story) Jane Cowan

All dressed up and ready to go on. But will she remember it?

Venetta Fields doesn't remember recording with the Rolling Stones but she does remember the luscious coat she bought with her pay.

The year was 1972 and the album, Exile on Main Street, most of which was recorded in the south of France where the band fled to escape an England they were sick of and where the taxes were too high.

"They weren't that big at the time," jokes Venetta in defence of her unbelievable mental blank. "I don't know. I did not remember it."

"But I remembered this coat," says Venetta and even now you can hear the desire in her voice. "A couple of weeks before that I was window shopping and there was this beautiful, beautiful coat. It was $700 and I knew I couldn't afford it. I kept looking at this coat. It went down halfway, you know."

It was the allure of the coat, which could be Venetta's with the money she'd earn from the job, that made her agree to the session at short notice.

"The next day we were travelling to Las Vegas to do a season with Nancy Sinatra and I needed this coat. So I said, 'Yes I want it because I'll get the cash to buy this coat.' I remember the coat but I forgot the session."

It wasn't until a friend at the time played the song, 'Shine A Light', for Venetta that memories of the midnight recording session, one LA night, came flooding back.

Mick Jagger and the Stones had been in the studio recording all day long and Venetta remembers a very tired Mick.

"Mick was very quiet. He wasn't mean or anything but he was just tired and wanted to get the day done. He wasn't intense. He knew what he wanted and he just trusted us to go and do what we do best. He didn't want a fuss."

"He let us do our thing and we let him go to bed."

As for that unforgettable coat, it was to Venetta warm through many winters until it came to a sticky end itself years later when Venetta mislaid it at a Pink Floyd concert.

April 23rd, 2004 05:08 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mick Jagger and the Stones had been in the studio recording all day long and Venetta remembers a very tired Mick.

"Mick was very quiet. He wasn't mean or anything but he was just tired and wanted to get the day done. He wasn't intense. He knew what he wanted and he just trusted us to go and do what we do best. He didn't want a fuss."

"He let us do our thing and we let him go to bed."

Well, well, at least she remembers Mick!!!
April 23rd, 2004 05:08 PM
Night Clerk For having no memory of the session, she seems to recall a lot.
April 23rd, 2004 05:12 PM
Monkey Woman It seems the Stones make an imprint, deep inside...
April 23rd, 2004 05:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
It seems the Stones make an imprint, deep inside...

??????????????
Please clarify.
April 23rd, 2004 05:51 PM
Monkey Woman The meaning is whatever the reader wants to see in it, of course
April 24th, 2004 12:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
The meaning is whatever the reader wants to see in it, of course

Cool. That means I don't have to second guess myself for having a dirty mind.
April 24th, 2004 09:36 PM
Steel Wheels Not big at the time? The Rolling Stones are always big.
April 25th, 2004 07:06 AM
J.J.Flash "They weren't that big at the time"

THE HELL THEY WEREN'T BIG. After 68/69 they started with the "Greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the world" thing. Everybody knows that, mainly at the time.
April 25th, 2004 05:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
"They weren't that big at the time"

I assume she was joking about that AND I think lying about not remembering. But having said that I have to take her word for it. She got her coat anyway! LOL.
April 25th, 2004 06:25 PM
J.J.Flash Sure! LOL
April 26th, 2004 11:32 AM
scope Who needs a winter coat for a trip to Vegas? This whole thing sounds like a bunch of BS to me.