ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jimi Hendrix & Stones video Return to archive
April 22nd, 2004 04:28 AM
FotiniD I've just downloaded a video on DC++ of the Stones hanging backstage and talking with Jimi Hendrix - the video title says it's from 1969. The PC at my work doesn't have a sound card, so I can't tell what they're saying - and I'm going crazy It's about 7 minutes long.

Have you guys seen this before? (Cause I got this stupid feeling I made a big discovery, which I'm sure is totally wrong
[Edited by FotiniD]
April 22nd, 2004 09:05 AM
FotiniD So, anyone...? Really curious!
April 22nd, 2004 09:32 AM
scratched It's probably backstage at Madison Square Gardens when Jimi visited them there. I've never seen or heard of this clip (which admittedly doesn't mean much). Is there any way of posting clips on this site? I wanna see it!
April 22nd, 2004 09:53 AM
FotiniD It's about 100 MB, so quite large... I don't know if there's any way to post it here, since it took forever to download...

But it really looks interesting (as said I can't listen to it right now ). It shows the Stones moving out of cars and then in a backstage area - yeah, possibly MSG, since they are like in the photographs we've all seen. There's Keith and Jimi talking to each other, sitting around, then several backstage snippets, Mick trying on a crazy hat, Charlie sitting next to Jimi and Mick Taylor jamming with him.

I never even knew this kind of video existed - I'd only seen the photographs. There's also a guy with a microphone who presses something on the mic everytime the camera "closes", like a clapperboard. And a running counter (like the ones on video) that goes to count about 30 minutes (but of course the footage on the video is 7 minutes - geez, whatever happened to the other 23?!).
April 22nd, 2004 10:43 AM
throbby Most likely an unreleased outtake from the Maysles brothers film "Gimme Shelter". It's not among the outtakes on the Criterion version of the film. I've seen stills of of Jimi and the Stones backstage, but never video.
April 22nd, 2004 12:46 PM
rocky hi ! its' an outtake from "gimme shelter"there's no sound,you can see in the film,that they try to start mike,
rocky
April 22nd, 2004 04:06 PM
FotiniD Yep, no sound, just checked it on home PC. I was hoping to know what Keith and Jimi were talking about but even so, it's wonderful footage. If anyone wants to see it perhaps I can burn some copies.
April 22nd, 2004 04:16 PM
scratched They were probably debating as to who had the most spangliest clothes.
April 24th, 2004 12:20 PM
Taptrick anybody here every consider setting up a file sharing chat room in WinMx - we could have a like once a week meet time where people would go to that room to exchange Stones related files. It's a pretty easy process.
April 24th, 2004 01:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl As far as I know the video source is NOT the same as the Gimme Shelter source. The video was for some months available at our Jimi Hendrix website here at Rocks Off (http://www.rocksoff.org/jimi.htm) it was a file of more than 100 MB! with video and audio so it is probably the one Fotini is mentioning. Unfortunately the video was removed.

For me the main feature is Jimi and Mick Taylor jamming backstage

There's a lot of photo of this, last Jimi's birthday at the Jimi Hendrix website here
April 24th, 2004 02:09 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
anybody here every consider setting up a file sharing chat room in WinMx - we could have a like once a week meet time where people would go to that room to exchange Stones related files. It's a pretty easy process.

I think I still have WinMX installed on my hd
April 24th, 2004 02:38 PM
GerryS It IS Madison Square Garden for sure..we were at that concert..Nov. 69. Before concert my friend and I wandered down to the stage area to check out the equipment that was onstage..Jimi was sitting in first row on right..so was Morrison and a # of other celebs.
April 24th, 2004 04:41 PM
ThatsWhatISay
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I think I still have WinMX installed on my hd

Yeah thats a great idea to exchange files via WinMX...I'm searching pretty often there for new trade partners.
I just opened a chat room called "RStones", might be the best if you keep your board nick names for WinMX, so I can see who is from this board and who is not. I got about 40GB of Stones videos on my HD, so I think you should find something to trade/download.

ThatsWhatISay
April 25th, 2004 10:33 AM
souldoggie The footage being referred to here is backstage at MSG, and is indeed an outtake from Gimme Shelter. The reason none of this footage ended up in the movie was that the sound equipment malfunctioned. I have a tpape of this, there is no audio. A bit of trivia: that footage was shot on Hendrix's birthday, his last one as it turns out.
April 25th, 2004 03:30 PM
beer Hendrix is playing Mick T's red SG. Playing it upside down, cuz he was a lefty! Amazing!

I got to see the white Strat that Jimi played at Woodstock. it's at the Experience Music Project in Seattle. It's sittin there about 2 feet in front of me, i coulda touched it. was very cool just to see it though.