ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great Singers That Can't Sing Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 21st, 2004 02:06 AM
J.J.Flash ....Peter Criss (former Kiss drummer), Ace Frehley (Kiss).

By the way, have you people listen to Kiss' version of "2000 Man", recorded on their "Dynasty" album and after on the "Unplugged". The singer who performed was Ace Frehley. Great version IMO.

Tell me what do ya think.
April 21st, 2004 02:15 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Now, I am sorry, but I can't agree with Hendrix being on a list of people who "CAN NOT". Hendrix can get what he wants!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]

JJ Flash - that was me who metioned jimi

don't misunderstand me i think jimi's singing is beautiful -however it's mostly his tone and timing that makes it so rather than his "technical ability" (which i think is what SS is referring to - tho without a definition of what constitutues "technical" i admit the discussion is rather open ended)- i mean i doubt his range covers one octave (or maybe just so)and a lot of his delivery is often a hybrid of singing/speaking the lyrics

jimi himself is on the record as saying he didn't think his singing was that great

cheers man

"if i don't meet you in this world,ronnie,i'll see you in the next one - and don't be late"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
April 21st, 2004 02:57 AM
UGot2Rollme David Byrne (Talking Heads)
April 21st, 2004 06:15 AM
Zeeta Bowie is a SUPREME singer who CAN SING! He has the voice of a black gospel singer!

Rod Stewart actually has a technically excellent voice and he can sing imo.

This could all just be a matter of taste and perception/definition of what makes a "great" voice and/or what a good "actually singing" voice is...

April 21st, 2004 06:42 AM
bez85 Two of my faves who can't sing but sound cool..Ronnie Wood and Paul Westerberg.........
April 21st, 2004 07:41 AM
nankerphelge Bruce has a pretty gritty voice but still puts out great music.

And Pammy is dead on with Bon Scott -- some of his stuff sounds like Roger Rabbit -- but throw in Angus and anyone can rock!!!

April 21st, 2004 07:53 AM
NHStonesfan Chris Robinson Black Crowes

Their 1st three albums are the
only non Stones music that I listen to
on a regular basis.
April 21st, 2004 07:57 AM
NHStonesfan Did anyone mention Tom Petty?
April 21st, 2004 08:18 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

JJ Flash - that was me who metioned jimi

don't misunderstand me i think jimi's singing is beautiful -however it's mostly his tone and timing that makes it so rather than his "technical ability" (which i think is what SS is referring to - tho without a definition of what constitutues "technical" i admit the discussion is rather open ended)- i mean i doubt his range covers one octave (or maybe just so)and a lot of his delivery is often a hybrid of singing/speaking the lyrics

jimi himself is on the record as saying he didn't think his singing was that great

cheers man

"if i don't meet you in this world,ronnie,i'll see you in the next one - and don't be late"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

Good point SIA! I love reading your posts man!

Take care!
April 21st, 2004 02:33 PM
gypsy Okay, I'm going to say Eric Clapton...because his voice is bland...like Willie Nelson's...but I love Eric, and his guitar playing more than makes up for his singing voice.
April 21st, 2004 02:35 PM
Factory Girl Johnny Winter.
April 21st, 2004 04:04 PM
Joey " Well, there are some people in this thread who I can't STAND but who actually CAN technically "sing". Like Geddy Lee - god I hate the guy, but he certainly can hit the notes. "

Actually Fleabit , this could very well be a case of what us Psychology Majors in college call : " Projection " ............... You are " projecting " your immense hatred / frustration of Bushie43 and the Iraqi Quagmire ( Much worse than the Vietnam because we can't just pull out of there and expect nobody to go back inside that MISERABLE little piece of sh## country ) towards " Geddy Lee " and other musicians ( posters ?!?! ) in this particular thread .

I too have often felt a sensate , yet coherent , vivid and shocking electricity whilst ..................................**********************MEN IN WHITE LAB COATS HAVE NOW ENTERED THE ROOM AND ARE REMOVING A PLIANT YOUNG JOEY FROM HIS DESK AND TAKING HIM AWAY F-F-F-F- FOR HIS DAILY SHOCK THERAPY ********************************

********** END TRANSMISSION **************************

Jacky !
April 21st, 2004 05:39 PM
Martha
quote:
NHStonesfan wrote:
Did anyone mention Tom Petty?

Yeah, I did.
April 21st, 2004 06:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, here's my definition of what I'm talking about:

If I can sound as good as a given singer...then they do NOT have a great voice.

It looks like most of you are getting the gist of what I was getting at.

Bloozehound...you still don't get it. I know that there are many many singers that you listen to, and really dig, who do not have great voices.

Here are a few more examples to give you a hint:

Howlin' Wolf
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
Billie Holliday

Great singers all, but none would never win a soloist spot on Broadway, or be accused of singing "pretty".

Frank Sinatra = Great Singer, Great Voice
Howlin' Wolf = Great Singer, Not-So-Great Voice

See where I'm going with this? I really didn't think this was much of an abstract concept for a thread, but perhaps I was wrong about that.
April 21st, 2004 06:21 PM
Martha Patti Smith

April 21st, 2004 08:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah! Patti.

See, this is why I did this post. Patti never entered my head, but that is exactly what I was talking about.

On a newer note...

Jack White
April 21st, 2004 09:02 PM
Mr Jimmy Do you think Johnny Cash would fit into your category?

" I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die "
April 21st, 2004 10:39 PM
gypsy I was thinking about Cash last night. I'd rather hear him sing than 'narrate' like he did in a lot of his songs. But I think he did have a good singing voice...especially on that CD that SirStonesalot made of Cash singing "Cry, Cry, Cry."
I liked Waylon Jennings voice.
April 21st, 2004 10:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I liked Waylon Jennings voice.

Well...Waylon could sing too....really good.
April 21st, 2004 10:47 PM
BILL PERKS PATTI SMYTHE RULES
April 21st, 2004 11:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels pAVORATTI....overrated fuck. That shit ain't even music.
April 22nd, 2004 12:39 AM
gypsy I wasn't saying that Waylon sucked or couldn't sing...I just mentioned that he was a good singer...because Johnny Cash makes me think of Waylon too.
April 22nd, 2004 01:00 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I wasn't saying that Waylon sucked or couldn't sing...

OK.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
April 22nd, 2004 01:42 AM
Bloozehound WAYLON "FUCKING" JENNINGS

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 22nd, 2004 10:09 AM
Navin
Billy Idol in an interview said "....Mick Jagger can't sing and Robert Plant can, but do I listen to Robert Plant? No, I listen to Mick Jagger, why? Because he can't sing and he sounds great..."
April 22nd, 2004 10:12 AM
jb
quote:
Navin wrote:

Billy Idol in an interview said "....Mick Jagger can't sing and Robert Plant can, but do I listen to Robert Plant? No, I listen to Mick Jagger, why? Because he can't sing and he sounds great..."

Billy Idol use to bang "Downtown Julie Brown" from MTV when she was hot....
April 22nd, 2004 12:17 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Billy Idol use to bang "Downtown Julie Brown" from MTV when she was hot....

I too liked Billy Idol when he played the role of the " Bell Boy " during THE WHO's Quadrophenia Tour ( circa ' 96 / ' 97 ) .

April 22nd, 2004 12:25 PM
jb I saw that show at the then W.P.B. Amphitheatre...the guy who played the "Bell Boy" was dam good....in fact, that was a great show all around......Pete was getting back into the electric guitar despite his life threatening tinnitis.
April 22nd, 2004 01:28 PM
NHStonesfan
quote:
Martha wrote:

Yeah, I did.

you are so smart
April 22nd, 2004 01:34 PM
jb
Page: 1 2 3