ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great Singers That Can't Sing Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 20th, 2004 02:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot It has occurred to me that most of my favorite singers do not have golden vocal cords. Some are pretty obvious.

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Joe Strummer

But y'know, some others would never stand a chance on "American Idol" either.

Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Elvis Costello

So who are some of your fave singers that have "bad" singing voices?

Discuss.
April 20th, 2004 02:20 PM
sirmoonie Townshend has a horrible voice, along the lines of Neil Young. Love them both.
April 20th, 2004 03:13 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Townshend has a horrible voice, along the lines of Neil Young. Love them both.

Actually , I would have to agree . Yet , I can handle both for a little while .....................................and you ?!?!

Bob Jersee !
April 20th, 2004 03:15 PM
Factory Girl I like singers with rough voices-Iggy Pop, Layne Staley.

Btw, SS, got the Iggy dvd-thanks for the tip.
April 20th, 2004 03:18 PM
Joey " But y'know, some others would never stand a chance on "American Idol" either.
Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Elvis Costello "

WTF ?!?!?!

WHY ?!?!

Joeykins !

April 20th, 2004 03:29 PM
Honky Tonk Man There are lots of great singers who can't sing, but I'm going to go with Morrisey. The Smiths were a great band, but he has one of the worst, though be it, unique voices around.

Alex
April 20th, 2004 03:46 PM
Jumacfly Easy one SS: I think Keith is the typical singer that can't sing!!!!
April 20th, 2004 03:46 PM
MrPleasant I know this isn't a very nice thing to say, but I'm amazed how many people consider Richard Manuel's (R.I.P.) falsetto "beautiful". WTF? He's the only singer I absolutely cannot stand - regardless of the music - even if I'm a fan of singers who cannot sing.
I'm not too fond either of Lennon circa 1966. That whiny stoned voice which would later be an inspiration for Oasis.
April 20th, 2004 03:58 PM
Prodigal Son I thought it was Rick Danko who did most of the falsetto for the Band, ie "I Shall Be Released." Nonetheless, I gotta say I love lots of singing voices that aren't technically the best. Those gutsy, impassioned vocalists like Rod Stewart, Mick, Roger Daltrey, Iggy Pop and Jim Morrison are awesome. Then there's some technically accomplished singers who, although sound less sincere and meaningful, could sing any style ala David Bowie, Paul McCartney and Burton Cummings. Don't forget some R&B greats such as Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Sam Cooke.
Then I like a lot of "non-voices" like the ones already mentioned in Elvis Costello, Dylan (though he could croon like on The Basement Tapes and Nashville
Skyline), Neil Young and I'll add Lou Reed and John Lennon to that list.
April 20th, 2004 05:47 PM
Bob Tamp Axl Rose in my opinion. Guns' Knocking on Heavens Door cover was just awful:
Knocking on Heavens Door ( I, I , I, I yi yi) annoying!
April 20th, 2004 07:26 PM
Martha
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
Axl Rose in my opinion. Guns' Knocking on Heavens Door cover was just awful:
Knocking on Heavens Door ( I, I , I, I yi yi) annoying!

I concur with you Bob, I cannot stand Axel's voice.

April 20th, 2004 07:30 PM
Angiegirl I wouldn't even go so far as to call that a voice...
April 20th, 2004 07:34 PM
stonedinaustralia jimi hendrix
April 20th, 2004 08:00 PM
glencar Bonnie Raitt
April 20th, 2004 08:12 PM
FPM C10 Well, there are some people in this thread who I can't STAND but who actually CAN technically "sing". Like Geddy Lee - god I hate the guy, but he certainly can hit the notes. That's exactly the opposite of what SS was talking about.

So to get back to my esteemed colleague's original thought, let me add the quarterback of the team - Shane MacGowan!
April 20th, 2004 08:29 PM
stonedinaustralia in line with FPM's nomination lest we forget:

April 20th, 2004 08:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot I guess I wasn't clear on that Flea. Good call on Shane. Same with whoever said Lou Reed.

What I had in mind was artists that you actually LIKE, but who do not have a great traditional voice.

Some of you are just naming crappy singers that you don't care for. That isn't what I meant. I'm talking about less than perfect voices that you really enjoy.

Like...why is Elvis Presley on this list? The guy had a golden throat. A beautiful voice. Elvis has nothing to do with anything on this topic...because the guy had fantastic pipes. He's the exact opposite of who should be on this thread. Same with Geddy Lee or Freddie Mercury. I can't stand either one of the guys, but they obviously have gifted vocal cords.

Here, look, I'll give you a couple more examples:

Nick Cave
Frank Black
Joey Ramone

See, I like the way all of those guys sing, but none have a golden voice.

OK, so now that we got that straight....discuss.
April 20th, 2004 08:47 PM
Taptrick David Surkamp - love the Geddy Lee on helium with natural vibrato thing.
April 20th, 2004 08:54 PM
Martha I stand corrected.

Bob Dylan I LOVE that crackled voice.

Steven Tyler Sets me on fire!

Robert Plant (don't tell him I said this)

Warren Zevon

Tom Petty

Ok, is that better?

April 20th, 2004 08:59 PM
Bloozehound ok
fair enough
post removed

(I mentioned them, because I couldn't think of any groups I like that have shitty singers. Why would I waste my time listening to some weenier who can't sing worth shit)
April 20th, 2004 09:00 PM
Phog Johnny Rotten. He can't sing a lick, but I love the guy.
April 20th, 2004 09:42 PM
polksalad69 Mike Ness
April 20th, 2004 11:17 PM
exile I dont know if this has been mentioned yet but

ROD STEWART

has a terrible singing voice

still "Stay with me" and "Hot Legs" are awesome songs
April 20th, 2004 11:21 PM
gypsy I agree with Martha about Robert Plant.
I also have to say Willie Nelson...I like him and his music; but have always thought his voice was so bland.
April 20th, 2004 11:22 PM
Snappy McJack Perry Farrell. In a good band -- "Strays" was actually one of the best releases of 2003, IMO -- but he can't sing live. It's terrible.

But I guess that is what makes ROCK and *Rock & Roll* so great. Superior technical ability is not required. It CAN'T be subjected to the likes of Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul.

Speaking of those two......*walks over to the FU thread*....
April 20th, 2004 11:30 PM
gypsy ...and sometimes Janis Joplin...although I love her pain-filled voice.
April 20th, 2004 11:59 PM
parmeda Two guys that have an unmistaken SHRILLLLLLLL...
but have gotten my attention for years.

Bon Scott & Brian Johnson

Raspy, gritty and somewhat damn-aweful.
AND IT WORKS!
April 21st, 2004 12:02 AM
Snappy McJack The "bad" voices just make the music much more special and definitive.

Could you imagine Barry Manilow singing on "Night Prowler"? It just wouldn't be right!!!
April 21st, 2004 12:08 AM
polksalad69
quote:
exile wrote:

still "Stay with me" and "Hot Legs" are awesome songs

"Hot Legs" especially done by Alejandro Escovedo.
April 21st, 2004 01:53 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I guess I wasn't clear on that Flea. Good call on Shane. Same with whoever said Lou Reed.

What I had in mind was artists that you actually LIKE, but who do not have a great traditional voice.

Some of you are just naming crappy singers that you don't care for. That isn't what I meant. I'm talking about less than perfect voices that you really enjoy.

Like...why is Elvis Presley on this list? The guy had a golden throat. A beautiful voice. Elvis has nothing to do with anything on this topic...because the guy had fantastic pipes. He's the exact opposite of who should be on this thread. Same with Geddy Lee or Freddie Mercury. I can't stand either one of the guys, but they obviously have gifted vocal cords.

Here, look, I'll give you a couple more examples:

Nick Cave
Frank Black
Joey Ramone

See, I like the way all of those guys sing, but none have a golden voice.

OK, so now that we got that straight....discuss.

So, following your explanation, I would say Ozzy Osbourne, despite that I love him. Lemmy Kilmister maybe....

Now, I am sorry, but I can't agree with Hendrix being on a list of people who "CAN NOT". Hendrix can get what he wants!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
Page: 1 2 3