ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Goats Head Soup Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 13th, 2004 10:43 AM
F505 Great album!
April 14th, 2004 03:23 PM
West 8 This was the 1st Stones record I bought & remains one of my favorites. I wish Winter ended the album,like Moonlight mile ended SF. Any time I hear either of those songs I have to stop what I'm doing and just listen. Lyrically the album is amazing. More personal & confessional than anything they ever done. Touching on things like Death, Keith's drug problem,Brian Jones, and their own mortality. IMO Star Star had no reason for being on the record. Good song but comes out of left field. It's like someone said "let's put one song on it that might drum up some headlines "Don't you think it sometimes wise not to grow up"
April 14th, 2004 03:25 PM
jb
April 15th, 2004 07:36 AM
corgi37 I cant describe it, but i absolutely adore Jaggers voice from this era. Kinda of whiny, but strong. Vulnerable, yet defiant. Angie is a perfect example. Its, um, almost like, out of tune. But so soulful. So very well sung. To me there are several changes to Jaggers voice.
Early days - to 67 - undeveloped and raw.
68 - 73 - getting the snarl. The sneer. Ad libbing well (example?? Stray cat blues, Sympathy, JJflash).
Also, the whiny part that i mentioned. Listen to Shine a light, soul survivor, Angie.
Later, he got kinda more black with IORR, Black & blue, went back to growling and U.K. accent for some girls & ER, and got that really cool belly growl for TY and Undercover. I think he overdid the vocal gymnastics on Dirty Work. The growl was way too overboard on songs like Fight and Dirty work.

I cant be bothered writing any more. I'm boring myself. But, yeah, i love the whiny Jagger.
April 15th, 2004 11:05 AM
jb
April 15th, 2004 12:29 PM
Joey " Cant describe it, but i absolutely adore Jaggers voice from this era. Kinda of whiny, but strong. Vulnerable, yet defiant. Angie is a perfect example. Its, um, almost like, out of tune. But so soulful. So very well sung. "

Corgi is a Great Man !

April 15th, 2004 12:31 PM
jb Corgi, Corgi he's our man
If he can't do it nobody can!!!!!
April 15th, 2004 12:32 PM
Joey

Corgi hears a WHO .............................and you ?!?!?!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

April 16th, 2004 09:06 AM
corgi37 Joey and JB, they are how you should be
Joey and JB, posts they gather, feel the envy
Joey and JB, Such Yanks, but thats ok
Joey and JB, nipple clamps on a donkey
Joey and JB, Stones fans, and so am i
Joey and JB, lets have some fresh pie
Joey and JB, i am going on holiday
Joey and JB, drink with me on doomsday.

Copyright @corgibigdikkproductions.

Leased by itaintthatbigmoron

promoted by biggerthanucanhandleyafatslut.com
April 16th, 2004 09:20 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Joey and JB, they are how you should be
Joey and JB, posts they gather, feel the envy
Joey and JB, Such Yanks, but thats ok
Joey and JB, nipple clamps on a donkey
Joey and JB, Stones fans, and so am i
Joey and JB, lets have some fresh pie
Joey and JB, i am going on holiday
Joey and JB, drink with me on doomsday.

Copyright @corgibigdikkproductions.

Leased by itaintthatbigmoron

promoted by biggerthanucanhandleyafatslut.com

Corgi-my home is your home....however, I am being thrown out of my home.
April 16th, 2004 09:51 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Corgi-my home is your home....however, I am being thrown out of my home.

Did she get the " Strat 54 " and the " Comfy Eames Chair " ?!?!?!

Please ..................I's justs gots to's knows !!!!!

Jersee Joe !
April 16th, 2004 09:57 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy It's not Exile, but nothing's Exile. It's the weakest of the Taylor albums... it sounds like they were *trying* for Exile In Jamaica, which just didn't pan out (Jimmy and Keith are obvious reasons why). Jimmy Miller sinks, "Hide Your Love" sounds like it wants to be Exile too badly, "Silver Train" is catchy but forgettable, "Angie" is overproduced, "Starfucker" doesn't have the swagger it wound up finding with Ronnie. Listening to the version from "Missing Links" that I downloaded ('73) it still doesn't sound right - Taylor plays it all sophisticated and the organ rides too high in the mix.

Still, I put it on once in awhile. I got into a kick of it two summers ago and took a break from it for most of last year.

-tSYX --- Love is a mystery, can't be mystified, oh no...
April 16th, 2004 10:56 AM
jb Ron Wood, in large part, is responsible for the decline in the guitar driven sound of the Stones as well as keith's dramatic decline upon Taylor's leaving the band....
April 16th, 2004 12:12 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Ron Wood, in large part, is responsible for the decline in the guitar driven sound of the Stones as well as keith's dramatic decline upon Taylor's leaving the band....

You raise an interesting point there my Mizner Park attending , Simon and Garfunkel worshipping .. ... , funny upside down roof building , inexplicable Afro in the '70's sporting , at first sight of Bill Clinton ejaculating , .. ... I too have often felt that the healthy competition between Taylor and Richards in the early 1970s contributed to an overwhelming ... ... improvement not only in the true sound of the band itself , but a sensate .... .... WTF ?!?!?! ......................Ok , What in the Hell is going on here ?!?! .... .................Wait !!!!!!! ................................Oh, NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .................................NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............................It can't Be !!!!!!! ... ... Look out everyone !!!! ..........................................Here it COMES !!!!!! ............................

Jercee !
[Edited by Joey]
April 26th, 2004 11:33 AM
Nellcote I'm willing to B & P three copies of Mickboy's Remaster of GHS "Dancin So Free" to the first three RO members whom send me a private email.

1. MRD8 was great enough to get this off to me in the same way.
2. It's a "wicked pissa" remaster
3. This is my 1000th post

I'll post here when I've got my three members..

So there, have at it!
April 26th, 2004 09:18 PM
beer
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
It's not Exile, but nothing's Exile. It's the weakest of the Taylor albums... it sounds like they were *trying* for Exile In Jamaica, which just didn't pan out (Jimmy and Keith are obvious reasons why). Jimmy Miller sinks, "Hide Your Love" sounds like it wants to be Exile too badly, "Silver Train" is catchy but forgettable, "Angie" is overproduced, "Starfucker" doesn't have the swagger it wound up finding with Ronnie

xyzzy my friend, i gotta disagree with ya on this one. i think IORR is the weakest of the Taylor LP's. but even IORR has it's moments. Jimmy Miller isn't the one to blame for Goats Head. It has always been the Stones fashion to grab someone great and use them for all their worth, then cast them aside. Keith has even admitted this! They did it to Ry Cooder AND Jimmy Miller. very cold blooded and ruthless. I think Goats Head was the logical reaction to Exile. Exile was loose and raw, and it reflected all their influences and a bunch of musical styles, all in one. that is an amazing thing to pull of. and they pulled it off brilliantly. Goats head is kinda subdued and a little experimental. And obviously drugs had something to do with the results of GHS. the band sounds spent. Granted drugs were all over Exile and the result was incredible, but the inspiration that bred Exile wasn't really evident in GHS. this is probably the longest post i've ever written.
April 27th, 2004 12:35 AM
BILL PERKS ITS THE ULTIMATE DRUG ALBUM...NOTHING BUT GREAT DEPRESSING,DECADENT LYRICS
April 27th, 2004 03:33 AM
Zack I think it has the worst lyrics of any Stones album, which sinks it. Mr D is a litany of ways to die, 100 Years Ago is an exception because it was written several years ealier, Coming Down is the most turgid dirge in the catalog (too long, and would have benefited from big MT solo); Heartbreaker overcomes its lyrics, Silver Train does not. Angie is lyric drivel rhyming "souls" and "coats" and agonizingly repetitive. Star Star, conversely, has great lyrics. The string arrangement ruins the solo on Winter. Can You Hear the Music is the worst filler this side of some of the worst cuts on Black and Blue. All that said, I kind of like the album, and the Mickboy improves it tremendously.
Page: 1 2