ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

... Thanks Montana
© 1972 Peter Beard

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Goats Head Soup Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 9th, 2004 07:51 PM
Some Guy I haven't heard this cd in a while. Today while working around the house I heard it on shuffle. What a work of art, the way the songs were playing, not knowing what would come next was truly awesome! Stones Rule!
April 9th, 2004 08:00 PM
mac_daddy some of the outtakes are good, too...

Mickboy did a good job with this one, as well - unfortunately I am drawing a blank on the title atm...

also see...

It's Only Goats Head Soup (but we like it)

Acetates
April 9th, 2004 10:34 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
some of the outtakes are good, too...

Mickboy did a good job with this one, as well - unfortunately I am drawing a blank on the title atm...

Dancing So Free.
April 10th, 2004 12:21 AM
glencar The Mickboy version outclassed the official release. Can You Hear The Music & a couple of other songs sink GHS.
April 10th, 2004 01:23 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, I would imagine throwing in outtakes like "Tops," "Potted Shrimp" and "Save Me" might help because "Can You Hear the Music?" sucks and "Silver Train" is kinda lacklustre. As well, I have no problems with "Mr. D," "100 Years Ago," "Winter," "Angie," "Heartbreaker" or "Starfucker." But "Hide Your Love" is a little too underdeveloped while "Coming Down Again" is a tad too weary and drawn-out to go 6 minutes. Cut it down by 2 and you have a good track. Other than that, GHS is an overlooked, underrated one.
April 10th, 2004 02:32 AM
IanBillen -QUEEN and ELO BORROWED THINGS FROM GOATS HEAD SOUP IN THIER STYLE OF MUSIC-
I have been a hardcore Stones fan for 20+ years. I have all their albums and have seen them several times and while Goats Head Soup may have not spawed alot of Stones classics (except Angie and D.D.D.D. Heart Breaker) it is my very favorite Stones Album. So murky and Different. It doesn't run like a normal Stones album. I know Exile and Let it Bleed may be thier best works along with a handful of others but this is my favorite because it takes you to a place different from the rest. It has a special place with me just for that reason and when I tell people Goat's Head Soup is my favorite Stones album they find it different. We'll that is why it is my favorite Stones Album in the first place....because it is different. It is an experimental album from alot of aspects yet somehow it stays "Stonsey".
Queen and ELO mimicked some of the sound on Goats Head in their music and
The Stones are never given credit for that. "Winter" is one of my favorite Stones tunes. Would LOVE to see the boys in an arena show in say late January and have them sneak this one out on everyone.
Ian
April 10th, 2004 04:04 AM
beer yeah, that's about the only Mickboy release that impressed me. he did a great job on Goats Head.
i didn't care for the Exile one at all. why fuck with perfection? the inclusion of outtakes is cool though.
April 10th, 2004 05:24 AM
gotdablouse Pretty good stuff, too bad there are many outtakes that never saw the light of day..."jamaica", "after muddy and charly", "four and in" to name a few.
April 10th, 2004 09:48 AM
Scottfree Average....."being hungry ain't no crime"
April 10th, 2004 11:44 AM
T&A weakest of the seventies albums, IMO. Got some good cuts, but it's just a second-rate EOMS wannabe....
April 10th, 2004 05:33 PM
Angiegirl You can't really compare Exile and GHS imo (well, you can of course), as they are such different style albums.

I've always loved GHS (the album that is): 100 years, winter, Mr D, Starfucker, heartbreaker, what's not to love?
Ok, yeah well, Angie. Uuuuuuggggghhhh!
April 10th, 2004 05:41 PM
Gazza >Queen and ELO mimicked some of the sound on Goats Head in their music and The Stones are never given credit for that.

Thank God for that!! Do you think they'd WANT the credit?

GHS is a decent but unspectacular album which is brought down by being mixed too muddily. The Mickboy remaster is an enormous improvement. I never enjoyed this album anywhere near as much until I'd heard the remaster.
April 10th, 2004 07:56 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Queen and ELO mimicked some of the sound on Goats Head in their music and The Stones are never given credit for that.

GHS is a decent but unspectacular album which is brought down by being mixed too muddily. The Mickboy remaster is an enormous improvement. I never enjoyed this album anywhere near as much until I'd heard the remaster.

I couldn't agree with you more... In fact, I think that the whole series of Mickboy releases from that period shine over the studio releases (dancin so free, short and curlies, rags 2 excess). I gotta say, of the three, Rags is my favorite!
April 10th, 2004 08:14 PM
Some Guy How can I hear these Mickboy remasters?
April 11th, 2004 12:31 AM
T&A GHS is a decent "upgrade" from the Virgin release. The rest of the Mickboys (aside from the extras, all of which are widely available elsewhere) are a waste of time, IMO. You got no access to the master tapes, you fool around with the equalizer---you and I could come up with the same result.
April 11th, 2004 01:32 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Queen and ELO mimicked some of the sound on Goats Head in their music and The Stones are never given credit for that.

I don't think The Stones truely care much about the credit however, my respnse wasn't based on wheather The Rolling Stones care. The reply was simply to give them credit where not alot of people care to or have observerd. This is a perfect example.
It is a compliment to hear that the Stones contributed
to Queen. Or heck even ELO.
It isn't like we are talking about Menudo.
Ian
April 11th, 2004 11:18 AM
corgi37 How in the name of shaved testicles did GHS influence Queen or ELO????????????
April 11th, 2004 04:07 PM
IanBillen
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
How in the name of shaved testicles did GHS influence Queen or ELO????????????

The Guitar fuzz box in "Can You Hear The Music" that kinda sounds like a higher pitched Kazoo became a trademark of Queens sound. ELO also incorporated this into their music. I believe this was the first time a major player had presented it in music.
Ian
April 11th, 2004 11:27 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
T&A wrote:
GHS is a decent "upgrade" from the Virgin release. The rest of the Mickboys (aside from the extras, all of which are widely available elsewhere) are a waste of time, IMO. You got no access to the master tapes, you fool around with the equalizer---you and I could come up with the same result.

yes and no, amigo...

First of all, I know that Mickboy basically rips the vinyl using quality equipment all along the chain. That he is ripping with fine stuff makes a huge difference, and the fact that his source material is the rare virgin japanese(?) vinyl makes a difference, too...

also the pitch control (like adjusting the speed on Drift Away) is a huge improvement. Yes anybody could do it, but not everybody can do it properly, which Mickboy does...

and that says nothing about the outtakes and extras that round off those sets...

as for EQ, I tend to agree with you, but there is more going on here with the Mickboy releases...

it is true - every jerk-off with a pirated copy of Sound Forge, a ripping proggie and a bootleg source thinks he/she is the next Bob Ludwig. Bootleg labels are the worst with this, and they should know better. They have the n*ts to be illegally charging for this shit, I would think they would know what they are doing, but alot of them don't. In fact, it seems that alot of these folks simply cannot HEAR - alot of the stuff that those "labels" have released is so stepped on that it is unlistenable...

However, the proper post-processing can make a recording shine.

Unfortunately, many of the Stones sources appear to not be archived properly - that is to say losslessly, straight analog > digital transfer. The only things that remain are these stepped on sources, so not only do you get one person's sh*tty EQ job permanently coloring the recording, but then you have to almost re-EQ in order to compensate, further damaging the source. The goal of lossless is data integrity (not sound quality, as most believe). True the former begets the latter, but the purpose is to archive the recording, and to spread an exact copy of that document. People need to realize that everytime you EQ or post-process, you are taking something away from the source, not adding to it...

That is why software players rock - you can apply all the DSP (digital sound/signal processing) you want, on the fly, and not damage the source; this is akin to using a standalone EQ, compressor, etc. with your home listening system (but at a fraction of the cost)...
April 12th, 2004 12:14 AM
Bloozehound Whats to rediscover

I've never quit understood why this album gets such a bad rap.

I love it.

I play it about about once a month.

April 12th, 2004 01:15 AM
beer Jimmy miller R.I.P. Nicky Hopkins R.I.P.

GHS is a great LP. Mick T brought some very cool stuff to the band. him and Brian were complete opposites when it came to guitar playing. in my opinion, Brian was an incredible slide player in the classic blues sense. While Mick Taylor was more of a modern style blues player(does that make any sense?). but they were both very inspired guitar players. if i had to pick a word to describe Brian and Taylor, it would be "INSPIRED". Watch "No Expectations from the Circus, then watch "Love in Vain" from Ladies and Gentleman. absolutely amazing.. The Stones were very lucky to have both those guys.
April 12th, 2004 01:44 AM
exilestones@netscape I always loved Goats Head. I can see why people diss Hide Your Love and Coming Down Again because they don't love the album. They are great for that album.

Silver Train, Heart Breaker, Mr D, Angie, Star Fucker and especially Winter are among the Stones very best. Can you hear the music is tough but I learned to like it.

I never heard Mick Boys what ever it's called. What is it called and what's on it?

I never understood why people would fuck with an official Stones album? But maybe it's great. How about weeding the thing?

What if Undercover were missing a few tracks? It would be another Some Girls almost.

I'd like to trade somebody for Mick Boy's Goats Head.

[email protected]
April 12th, 2004 08:58 AM
Poplar
i always thought of GHS as the "sleeper" album.
certainly has its own sound - moody and reflective.

100 Years Ago - perhaps their most overlooked rocker.
Hide Your Love, also very good.

and Winter, damn if that song doesn't move me.

April 12th, 2004 11:16 AM
LadyJane GHS is a GREAT album. IMHO.

Dancing with Mr D.
Winter
Coming Down Again
Star Star
Silver Train
Angie

Howe could one not love this??

LJ.
April 12th, 2004 12:19 PM
Joey " GHS is a GREAT album. IMHO.

Dancing with Mr D.
Winter
Coming Down Again
Star Star
Silver Train
Angie

Howe could one not love this??

LJ. "

You raise an interesting point my Stonesian Queen . I too have OFTEN felt that GHS was one of the most underrated and .................................Wait !!!!! ..................Oh , Oh , I MUST leave now and go

Developing .............................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jercee Joe !
April 12th, 2004 04:27 PM
HeyNegrita I always thought the live version of Dancing with Mr. D from the '73 European tour was 8 million times better than the studio version. Same goes for angie.
April 13th, 2004 12:20 AM
T&A First of all, I know that Mickboy basically rips the vinyl using quality equipment all along the chain. That he is ripping with fine stuff makes a huge difference, and the fact that his source material is the rare virgin japanese(?) vinyl makes a difference, too...

My dear mac_daddy -

If all this makes such a difference, then why do the ears not detect? I've got a pretty discriminating set of ears, not to mention a $20,000 stereo - and I hear nada!
April 13th, 2004 12:28 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more... In fact, I think that the whole series of Mickboy releases from that period shine over the studio releases (dancin so free, short and curlies, rags 2 excess). I gotta say, of the three, Rags is my favorite!

"rags 2 excess" - hey mac_d what is that re-mix of??

cheers
April 13th, 2004 08:50 AM
corgi37 I got a version of Dancing with Mr D that is wicked. It's an outtake or something. I love it. GHS is cool. It was the 1st album i had (pinched it from my sister). Its an interesting benchmark, because where the Stones contemperaries like Led Zep where going hard, Elton was going Stones-lite/glam/baroque, and the whole Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer thing was about going over board, the Stones went black. As in, souuuuuuuuuul. The one thing i hated about the LP was the total lack of bass drum. The remastered Virgin release was a revelation. This cd is best heard with headphones, i reckon. But, how much do i love to increase the volume to "Turn that shit down" levels when Heart breaker comes on, and let everyone on the block know it. What a riff! Best of all was playing Starfucker to my mum when i was 17. Boy, did i get some mileage out of that song.
April 13th, 2004 09:27 AM
jb [quote]corgi37 wrote:
I got a version of Dancing with Mr D that is wicked. It's an outtake or something. I love it. GHS is cool. It was the 1st album i had (pinched it from my sister). Its an interesting benchmark, because where the Stones contemperaries like Led Zep where going hard, Elton was going Stones-lite/glam/baroque, and the whole Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer thing was about going over board, the Stones went black. As in, souuuuuuuuuul. The one thing i hated about the LP was the total lack of bass drum. The remastered Virgin release was a revelation. This cd is best heard with headphones, i reckon. But, how much do i love to increase the volume to "Turn that shit down" levels when Heart breaker comes on, and let everyone on the block know it. What a riff! Best of all was playing Starfucker to my mum when i was 17. Boy, did i get some mileage out of that song.
[/quote

Once again, Corgi is 100% correct!!!

Page: 1 2