ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing The Tour - NYC 1997
By Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jerry Hall backed an anti-smacking campaign Return to archive
04-29-02 12:25 AM
CS Model backs bid to end smacking
VALERIE HANNAH
JERRY Hall, former model and mother of four, yesterday backed an anti-smacking campaign inspired by legislation currently being considered in Scotland.

Scottish charities also welcomed the move by the National Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Children.

Parents will be encouraged to discipline their children without using force and a poster and radio campaign will attempt to bring home the message that hitting a child is ineffective and can be physically and emotionally harmful.

The initiative comes as the Scottish Executive is considering a controversial bill that would outlaw the smacking of under threes and would make it an offence to hit any child with an implement such as a belt.

Launching the campaign, Ms Hall, who has two sons and two daughters by her former husband Mick Jagger, said: "I am really glad that the NSPCC has had the courage to stand up and say that children should not be hit under any circumstances. If we are going to rid our society of cruelty, we'd better start by saying that punishing children with smacks and hits is just not acceptable."

The poster campaign, which marks a deliberate departure from the graphic imagery of previous initiatives, features slogans such as: "If smacking works, why do you have to keep on doing it?".

An NSPCC spokesman revealed the initiative had been inspired by recent events in Scotland and said: "There have been a number of moves in Scotland which we welcome, and a number of disappointments in England and Wales which we do not.

"However, we are still hopeful that England, Wales and Northern Ireland will at last follow Scotland's lead."

Mary Marsh, director of the NSPCC, denied the charity wanted to "put ordinary parents in the dock" but rather spark a serious public and political debate about smacking and "send out a clear message that hitting is wrong". She called on the government to take a lead on the issue despite earlier resistance to legal reform.

Around 80% of Scots parents admit to having used physical punishment at least once.

- April 29th
04-29-02 02:20 AM
gypsy Well, my parents spanked me, and I turned out just fine!!!
04-29-02 06:39 AM
Scot Rocks What a load of crap, those pathetic politically correct nanny state loving idiots in the crappy Scottish Parliament should just shut up and start getting on with some important issues.

Mark
04-29-02 05:06 PM
nankerphelge Notice Jerry didn't say anything about smacking adulterous husbands!

Oh and gypsy, I'm sure those spankings were richly deserved

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.