Stones expected to announce tour
By JANE STEVENSON
It sure looks as if the Stones will be Rolling
New York-based publicists sent out a brief
tease to select media yesterday asking them to
keep open the date of May 7 -- next Tuesday --
for a lunch-hour event with the Rolling Stones
with more details to follow.
Speculation about the veteran British rockers
hitting the road again began late last year with
both lead singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Ron
Wood saying in separate interviews that it
would make sense since 2002 is the band's
40th anniversary. The group formed and
played their first gigs in 1962, but didn't release
their first single until 1963, shortly after
drummer Charlie Watts joined the lineup.
Toronto concert promoter Michael Cohl told
The Sun two weeks ago that he was working on
getting Jagger and company back out on the
road, but it wasn't yet a done deal.
Stones guitarist Keith Richards also said this
year that when the Stones do decide to tour,
they would come to Toronto to rehearse first,
as they've done twice in the past.
"It's all in discussion. It's possible," Cohl told
The Sun earlier.
This new Stones trek would follow the band's
wildly successful 1999 No Security tour. There
has been speculation that it will be a fall tour,
starting in October.